Way Huge Red Llama clones?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by playon, Jan 2, 2006.

1. playon

playon Supporting Member

Anyone have experience with some of the pedals that are close to the Red Llama? Such as the RGW Dirty Dan and the Pharoah Amos Rodeo? I have the RL but would be happy to sell it if I can find a pedal that can replace it reasonably well.

2. playon

playon Supporting Member

3. kevin hart

kevin hart Supporting Member

I'd check out the Menatone Red Snapper &/or the Xotic AC Booster.

4. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

The red llama has way more gain then the red snapper, I think the Blue Collar would be a closer match. I remember the RL sounding similar to a Fulldrive, also check out the Texas two step or Tour pro toggle.

I think you want a higher gained TS9 pedal but with the low end intact. A while ago I owned a Blackstone Appliance pedal (pre Guytron purchase) and the Blackstone laid waste to the RL. I have just bought a BC for use with my Tone King but if I sell the Tone King the pedal will also go.

5. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

I believe it was based on Craig Andertons Tube sound fuzz, which is more of a distortion sounding circuit.... something like a DS1, SD9 or Dist +

6. erksin

erksin Member

I tried a Pharaoh Rodeo Drive a few years ago - could not find a decent, useable sound in that box.

7. HBob

HBob Member

I'd probably go with the Dirty Dan. I don't think the Menatone stuff is what you're looking for. They're not as nasty as the Red Llama. The Red Llama is more agressive and "up front" sounding. I've played thru a Red Llama and the Dirty Dan and though it was years apart they were in the same ball park as I remember. I don't know about the Pharaoh.

8. playon

playon Supporting Member

Thanks... I'm looking for a pedal based on the same circuit... which is indeed the Craig Anderton tube sound fuzz. The Red Llama is bright and fuzzy sounding but with a nice natural "give" and clarity to the notes... awesome on the lower strings especially. I have one & I'd love to be able to sell it for $400 and buy something for $150! I have the RL schematic, maybe I should just have someone build me one.

9. AL30

AL30 Member

Playon,

That's a simple build with a pretty low parts count. If you know someone who builds pedals it could easily be built in an evening (barring Murphy's Law).

Isn't that a 4049 based circuit? The EH Hot Tubes is based on the same chip and I think the Snarling Dogs Black Dog and Tweedy Dog are based on the EH Hot Tube design. A few years ago Musicians Friend was blowing these out at $20 each so there may be a few around for cheap.

AL

10. playon

playon Supporting Member

Yeah I looked inside the RL box and was shocked how simple it looked. I have a RL schematic so I'll probably just have it built. One thing about the Way Huge stuff is that he used really good pots and components....

11. AL30

AL30 Member

I've never, physically seen inside a Way Huge pedal - just pictures. But, they look very well built. I think a lot of them are clones of other pedals. Jorge Tripps (did I spell that right?) appears to be one of the first "boutique" builders into the market place in a time when the internet wasn't as widely used and this type of information wasn't readily available so he had to do things the old fashioned way - buy pedals and reverse engineer them. My hats off to that guy - that was a gutsy move and some really nice work.:BEER

AL

12. dognmoon

dognmoon Supporting Member

my RL is on my board right next to a Hellbilly and I'm surprised at how similar they sound to one another. Both feel like overdrive pedals that are spiced up with a touch of fuzz. Of course the RL errs on the side of OD and the HB errs on the side of germanium fuzz, but they're similar sonically in that they both a distinct high end bite to them.

just MHO

13. dbx

dbx Supporting Member

I found one on ebay a while back, had the same initial impression but was not able to really sit down and tweak it...should probably revisit that...this thread picqued my interest and found this...no personal experience with it, just thought the description was curious "...this overdrive/fuzz has been known to sound similar to a popular "mammal" overdrive that is no longer in production, but that is best left for you to decide..." It's another one to check out:

[​IMG]

:cool:

14. adelphi710

adelphi710 Member

id be in on a red llama clone. recently i've been contemplating a fuzz/od/treble booster, and haven't been able to decide. ill be using a hayseed 30 2x12. the clips of the RL on the way huge site really make me fall in love. i have to admit some of it might be the strat in the clip too! though i'm a tele guy :)

15. playon

playon Supporting Member

Thanks for the info DBX... so that's a third one that is similar to the Red Llama... his clip sounds pretty good. It's hard to compare just from the clip but I think the distortion on my RL sounds a bit softer... that's not necessarily a negative though.

There are some Harmony Central reviews of the Pharoah Rodeo OD that are similarly negative, like it's hard to dial in... but at the Pharoah Amps website he says he has redesigned the pedal, got rid of the tone knob and improved the power supply. It's called the Rodeo II. No sound clips though and he doesn't answer my emails... think I'll give the Flamingo Fuzz a try. If I like it my Red Llama will be up for sale.

16. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

17. playon

playon Supporting Member

So is this pedal based on a similar circuit or is it an exact clone of the RL?

18. adelphi710

adelphi710 Member

keep us posted!

19. martyncrew

martyncrew Supporting Member

I'm not sure if Matt Farrow (Pharaoh Amps) is still in business but I like his pedals. I have a custom Class A Boost (best boost pedal I ever owned) and a Rodeo Drive which, after being modded, is a very usable OD pedal. I had some switch problems with it but like the tone and find it very easy to use.

20. hipfan

hipfan Member

I have a Rodeo II, actually a Rodeo I that Mr. Pharoah updated to "II" specs free of charge. I haven't spent much time with it and I'm not familiar enough with the RL to make a comparison, but I can tell a couple of things about the Rodeo II with limited playing time: (1) it is not a "smooth" overdrive, definitely cranky and more on the nasty side of things; (2) it has a metric ton of output that comes on hot-and-heavy early on in the volume dial; and (3) it does not have a very wide sweet spot, i.e. once you find a good setting, glue it in place.

I'll have to spend some more time with it to see what I can get.