• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Way Huge Supa Puss - Mix Control

Mosley

Electric Catnip
Platinum Supporting Member
Just got one used from GC, wish I read this forum first, same problem, unity gain is like 8:00, 9:00 the delay is louder than the guitar. And yes the modulation gets aggressive too fast too. Sucks cause I can tell I would love the tone of the delay if the pots had better taper but tough to justify $175 and the pedal board space with those flaws.
I would reach out to Dunlop and check to see if you have the first version circuit board. They changed the circuit to correct that problem, and if you have an old board I would bet they’d swap it out for a new one. I bought mine used fairly early on and had the same problem. I called Dunlop and exchanged a couple emails with them, and they ended up having me send it to em so they could upgrade the board. They did it quick and I only paid for the shipping, and it didn’t matter that it was a used pedal. Totally worth the trouble, it’s been my favorite delay ever since, and I haven’t had any other issues with it. Dunlop may seem like a big company, but their customer service kicks ass, and the problem you’re having is one they ironed out a while ago, so they’ll probably work with ya to fix it.

dirtytony

Just got one used from GC, wish I read this forum first, same problem, unity gain is like 8:00, 9:00 the delay is louder than the guitar. And yes the modulation gets aggressive too fast too. Sucks cause I can tell I would love the tone of the delay if the pots had better taper but tough to justify $175 and the pedal board space with those flaws.
I have 2... I solved the mix issue with a rubber ring (same as beers or strap locks) under the knob, regarding modulation I do not have that problem and I find it one of the most beautiful ones after the original big box DMM (thats why I have both on my pedalboard).
Only other issues I have are:
-)sometimes when I turn power on it puts trails on by itself... annoying but not a problem at all, I push tap and revert to trails off
-)if I do the feedback maxed "crazy" sounds and then revert back to normal settings sometimes it gets crazy and it doubles every repeat with a weirdo distorted sound (not pleasant at all), I solve this by putting feedback knob to zero and then setting back to normal settings... bad thing but I do not use the oscillation/feedback thing so I am lucky on this one

If they do a further updated version with mix knob solved and all the weird digital stuff out (and oscillation footswitch instead of tap tempo) I will buy 4 at least

I recommend checking the "reset" procedure, it is designed to switch the EXP jack from time expression control to tap input jack but it solved the weirdo thing on mine, I am quoting directly from the source (I think I got it here but could not find it anymore, I saved it on a txt on my PC):

So while the pedal is unplugged and completely unpowered, hold down both footswitches. Then plug in the power while holding the switches. The tap subdivision lights should blink, then the pedal will light up and act normally. You can do this a couple times, but it might help. If not, I’d suggest contacting Dunlop repair. They’re really helpful and should definitely be able to offer some advice.
I hope it helps... I know this pedal has some flaws but the base sound is almost unmatched in current pedal world if you use a crunching or distorting amp...

I would reach out to Dunlop and check to see if you have the first version circuit board. They changed the circuit to correct that problem, and if you have an old board I would bet they’d swap it out for a new one. I bought mine used fairly early on and had the same problem. I called Dunlop and exchanged a couple emails with them, and they ended up having me send it to em so they could upgrade the board. They did it quick and I only paid for the shipping, and it didn’t matter that it was a used pedal. Totally worth the trouble, it’s been my favorite delay ever since, and I haven’t had any other issues with it. Dunlop may seem like a big company, but their customer service kicks ass, and the problem you’re having is one they ironed out a while ago, so they’ll probably work with ya to fix it.
Cool, thanks I'll try contacting them. Yeah, I wouldn't have thought they'd service it if you bought it used, that's great.

I have 2... I solved the mix issue with a rubber ring (same as beers or strap locks) under the knob, regarding modulation I do not have that problem and I find it one of the most beautiful ones after the original big box DMM (thats why I have both on my pedalboard).
Only other issues I have are:
-)sometimes when I turn power on it puts trails on by itself... annoying but not a problem at all, I push tap and revert to trails off
-)if I do the feedback maxed "crazy" sounds and then revert back to normal settings sometimes it gets crazy and it doubles every repeat with a weirdo distorted sound (not pleasant at all), I solve this by putting feedback knob to zero and then setting back to normal settings... bad thing but I do not use the oscillation/feedback thing so I am lucky on this one

If they do a further updated version with mix knob solved and all the weird digital stuff out (and oscillation footswitch instead of tap tempo) I will buy 4 at least

I recommend checking the "reset" procedure, it is designed to switch the EXP jack from time expression control to tap input jack but it solved the weirdo thing on mine, I am quoting directly from the source (I think I got it here but could not find it anymore, I saved it on a txt on my PC):

I hope it helps... I know this pedal has some flaws but the base sound is almost unmatched in current pedal world if you use a crunching or distorting amp...
Thanks, what does the rubber ring do, make the knob tighter? Seems like it almost goes from 0 to 50% wet the first time I hear the delay rolled in.
I totally agree about the sound, even with the flaws I just noodled with that delay on for like 3 hours last night, I've owned at least 10 delays and it's the nicest tone I've heard. Have you tried the Echopuss? I was thinking about trying that, I like the smaller footprint, I'd miss tap tempo a little but don't really need the dotted eighth stuff.

dirtytony

Thanks, what does the rubber ring do, make the knob tighter? Seems like it almost goes from 0 to 50% wet the first time I hear the delay rolled in.
I totally agree about the sound, even with the flaws I just noodled with that delay on for like 3 hours last night, I've owned at least 10 delays and it's the nicest tone I've heard. Have you tried the Echopuss? I was thinking about trying that, I like the smaller footprint, I'd miss tap tempo a little but don't really need the dotted eighth stuff.
when you put the knob back it compresses the ring generating friction that holds the knob tight, its a trick to avoid knob moving from preferred position but in our case works perfectly to hold it in the sweet spot, you have to use very minimal twisting and very slow but you can find the perfect mix setting (I use 3 all in a very small range). Some guys prefer o-rings but I think the rubber one has more surface = more friction.
The echopuss sounds different (different delay chips also if I recall correctly), less higher midrange and does not have the same glorious modulation.
Heres mine withe rubber ring:
supapuss  005.jpg

Last edited:
when you put the knob back it compresses the ring generating friction that holds the knob tight, its a trick to avoid knob moving from preferred position but in our case works perfectly to hold it in the sweet post, you have to use very minimal twisting and very slow but you can find the perfect mix setting (I use 3 all in a very small range). Some guys prefer o-rings but I think the rubber one has more surface = more friction.
The echopuss sounds different (different delay chips also if I recall correctly), less higher midrange and does not have the same glorious modulation.
Heres mine withe rubber ring:
View attachment 298867
Cool, thanks I'll give it a shot. That is a seriously dialed in pedal!

Trending Topics