Way Huge!! You ain't kiddin' WoW!!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by SuperReverb2, Jan 18, 2006.

1. MrSage

MrSage Member

Lotsa lowballs for sure!

2. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

I've always loved the name of that pedal.

3. Jumblefingers

Jumblefingers Supporting Member

We should have a competition to guess the selling price! My guess...

$1800.00

4. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

5. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

I offered tree fiddy.

6. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

Me likey the camel toe! :angel
    But I thought this was an effects discussion!

7. Ned

Ned Member

if only i was rich.....

8. justicetones

justicetones Member

I can sense the sarcasm here. :NUTS: I like it. OK maybe I'm CRAZY but I could think of many other things I would rather do with 3100.00 :rolleyes:

I have never played one of these. So I am being serious and not sarcastic in my questions. Really. Are they that good? :eek:

Or is it just a hip trendy, or status thing to own one?

Opinions?????

9. Ned

Ned Member

i bet they sound pretty darn good but you are also paying for the name and for the fact that neither the pedal nor the company exists anymore...but besides that if people are dishing out 600+ dollars (or 3000) for a used way huge pedal, they must be something special

10. moodog

moodog Member

A fool and his money...

11. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

Hey guys, could you help me out a bit?

Tell me the story behind Way Huge.. What happened to them, who were them and where are they now and so on? I remember when I was going through my first GAS period in mid-90's I came across the name in reviews from time to time.

3100 for a pedal is insane though. But, what the heck, if someone has the money and gets the kicks for it, why not do it?

12. JamonGrande

JamonGrande Supporting Member

Way Huge were pedals built by Jeorge Tripps (forgive my spelling if I'm wrong). The pedals were tweaked copies of well known pedals in many ways- Green Rhino=TS overdrive, Saffron Squeeze=Orange Squeezer, etc... They originally sold on the street around $150ish if I remember right. They were somewhat easy to come by in St. Louis actually, I picked up a Green Rhino (sold it to a friend for $100 in '99 I think) and Saffron Squeeze which I still have. Another friend had a Red Llama. Nice but regarding the price for what they sell now... no way. I'll keep my Squeeze, not for collectability, I just like the sound.

Anyways, Jeorge closed up shop and went to work for Line 6, essentially designing the floor modeler series (don't know about the pro series or newer pedals). He moved from analog copies of other pedals to digital copies. While some people may not be crazy about the L6's now, at the time they were pretty unique with relatively good sounds. As far as I know Jeorge will still work on Way Huge repairs and gave Robert Keeley the mods that are available for the L6 pedals. I believe he also pops from time to time on some message boards.

If I'm wrong on any of my facts, I apologize and please correct. Hope it helps.

joe

13. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

Thanks JamonGrande, interesting story and quite a suprising one as well.

14. elambo

elambo Member

The best part about these discussions is reading the replies that try to defend these prices. None yet, but they'll be coming, and then we'll know who's :NUTS

15. loosegroove

loosegroove Member

How much did the last one go for? (the one that caused a little controversy on the gear emporium pages).

16. elambo

elambo Member

I'm not sure, but I know that the same Camel Toe is being passed around eBay a bit. Not each one, but one or two have been multiple repeats.

17. playon

playon Supporting Member

No, they aren't. It's merely a rare collectors item, it's stupid. It's a combination of a Red Llama, which is a pretty cool sounding pedal, and the Green Rhino, their version of a tube screamer, which isn't a very good sounding pedal. A Maxon OD sounds better than the GR. When the Way Huge stuff first came out I auditioned a bunch of the boxes, and bought a Red Llama and an Aqua Puss which I thought were the best ones. For 3k I'd much rather have a guitar, or a couple of guitars, or a guitar and amp, etc etc...

18. jaimo

jaimo Member

Anyways...
    So years pass and Way Huge goes back into business. Then suddenly, all of these pedals are worthless. lol

just sayin'....
    *-)

19. MrSage

MrSage Member

Well, three things on that...

1) I don't think Jeorge is going to go back in business. He's probably making a much better living at Line6 than he ever did selling his stompboxes. That's like asking a major-league ball player to go back to the minors just for kicks. He still does a few one-offs from time to time (Timmy and Katrina relief pedals), but that's about it.

2) Saying that the pedals would be worthless if he went back into business is a bit like saying that vintage Foxx Tone Machines will become worthless now that Foxx is producing new ones...I think the vintage ones would still hold collectors' value, though they would probably drop in price because players would prefer the "reissues."

3) Pedals like the Sasquatch, Camel Toe, etc, would still command ultra-high prices because they were limited designs anyway. If Way Huge were to go back into business, I think he would stick with some of the more common/popular designs, like the Llama, Rhino, etc. Probably no Aqua Pusses (since the chips are harder to come by) and almost certainly none of the limited edition pedals. I would guess that he would abandon many of his older cloned designs and move forward with circuits he invented himself (e.g., the Puke Boy, etc).

Just my $0.02...I don't think anyone needs to worry about a sudden influx of Way Huge pedals...

:)