Way Too Long Winded Acoustic Question

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by TheGuildedAge, Jul 15, 2019.

1. gibson3798

gibson3798 Member

Just visit guitar stores and play grand concert and grand auditorium size guitars. I personally agree that they're the ideal size acoustic guitar. Loud, but not overly boomy (bassy) and very balanced across the strings. Simply three bears perfect.

Buy USED.

2. mcknigs

mcknigs Supporting Member

I like this answer.

That said, I have a Recording King parlor guitar i got for $200 that I love. It's not perfect but it's fun and records well.

3. aiq

aiq Supporting Member

If you can find one a Martin D2-R is a great value. Solid spruce top, laminate rosewood back and sides.

A laminate D28 basically. I got mine for eight hundy.

4. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Supporting Member

I don't want a larger sized body. I tried a D28 today and much preferred the 000-18

aiq likes this.
  5. aiq

aiq Supporting Member

My friend went that way too. His is an amazing guitar, loud and clear.

My imprint is Stills and the bluegrass guys.

middlechainringguy likes this.
  6. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Member

If it sounds good, plays good and is well made that's all you need to know. Looking now at my guitar hangers I have £200, £350 and £2300 guitars. They all sound good; I wouldn't have them if they didn't.
    Price matters-to a point, but it isn't a 100% guarantee that the cost will correlate with great tone, build quality and playability. I have played many expensive guitars which were complete dogs, and more than a few inexpensive ones which surprised me-and that includes part-laminate builds.

7. David MacNeill

David MacNeill Supporting Member

Because Taylors are wildly overpriced. You can do better for less.

Fret-O'File likes this.
  8. BEACHBUM

BEACHBUM Member

Cork sniffing in the world of acoustics is exactly the same as in the world of electrics and I've been as guilty of it as the next guy. I've owned high end Martin, Taylor and Guild America over the years and they were fine guitars. But let's face it. Those companies are also charging a whole lot of extra money for brand recognition, myth and legend. It's really just that simple.

Fret-O'File and RussB like this.
  9. TheGuildedAge

I wish the Martin had the playability of the Taylor.

10. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

that can be had with a proper setup, it's not an obstacle at all.

11. willrock

willrock Member

Hence the reason i got myself a Taylor 514ce.. I was shopping for my first "high end" acoustic guitar, and none of the martins and gibsons played as good.. Im primarily an electric guitar player, that might explains it all..

Will

12. LBXPDX

LBXPDX Member

The 15 series from Martin is less expensive than other martins due to:
    Lack of binding
    A-frame bracing vs traditional X-bracing
    Mortise and Tenon joint vs dovetail
    All mahogany or sapele construction

Phenomenal guitars. As stated earlier, try the 000-15SM.
    LA Guitar special orders them with binding and a shade top, quite lovely.

I have acoustics I’ve paid $8 for all the way up to Brazilian Rosewood 1968 Martin D-28. Price matters, but it really doesn’t. I suggest looking for something your ears like within your budget.
    The new 000-18’s are spectacular guitars. I have a beat up 1976 that sounds sublime.

Regarding your Gibson, this may sound weird, but pull the endpin out and maybe try some lighter tuners.

The endpin hole acts like a port in a speaker box. Not all guitars react to the pin out, but most do

TheGuildedAge likes this.
  13. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

I have a Taylor 414ce that is fantastic! A gig workhorse for sure.

I also have a Taylor GA Custom Mahogany that's probably worth double the 414ce. I wouldn't say one sounds better than the other. They're VERY different guitars. I LOVE the way the Custom looks but both sound fantastic!

14. SRQGuitar

SRQGuitar Gold Supporting Member

Lower end Taylors' can sound great and it's not hard to get a 20% discount on a new one. 0015m's are a great value and can sound excellent. Yamaha is killing it these days. Larrivee is a Canadian builder that makes great fingerstyle guitars that are very reasonably priced. So many guitars out there in your budget. Play as many as you can.

15. Bluedano1

Bluedano1 Member

Definitely, I have a very comfy, cheap Martin dread- it has always been a good-toned, easy player.

But a recent setup ( by a pro tech, NOT me!) somehow managed to increase volume and sustain, yet make for easier action ( saddle lowered a bit+ truss rod adjustment)
    Just a great friend for many years.

16. TheGuildedAge

The Guitar Center an hour and a half from me has a nice used 000-15m for a great price.

Debating a drive.

Great post, by the way. Had no idea about different bracings and neck joints. Lot to learn.

17. redir

redir Member

Price matters up to a certain point then you are just buying bling and or name recognition. Custom built guitars are in a different league of their own. In the case of a custom guitar you develop a relationship with the luthier who you trust and are willing to pay his fee's for. But in the factory guitar world the cheaper guitars are assembly line built with lower grade materials. The more expensive factory guitars use better materials and tend to have a bit more bling.

Go find the thread here about the guy who went to a shop to buy a Gibson and walked out with a cheap guitar instead. The cheap guitar sounded great to him so he bought it. The best way to buy a guitar is just like that, walk into a shop or two or three and play a guitar till you love it, regardless of it's brand or cost.

Good factory guitars like Taylor and Martin tend to build consistent sounding guitars across their models but it's always better to pick one up and play it.

If you have $2k to spend on a guitar then I have no doubt you can find one that sounds just as good as an $8k guitar.

18. Humble Texan Fan

Humble Texan Fan Member

And Dreadnoughts and larger guitars are typically boomier than smaller guitars with a waistline.

You may want to experiment with different kinds of strings, like these Roto Sound contact core strings, which effectively brings out the twang out of the bass strings.

19. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

It matters. Both tone and playability are dependent upon expensive materials and/or workmanship. Don't get me wrong, you can find usable mid-line guitars for $300 - $500 used, but there's no way to unplug a wrong purchase when buying acoustic. You've got what you've got for how much you spent.

20. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Supporting Member