1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Wayne Krantz Strat tones on 2 Drink Minimum..which OD?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Zero G, May 19, 2011.

1. Zero G

Zero G Member

Just wondering if there is an OD pedal out there that will best get me the tones from this record. Some of the best examples I can think of would be Whippernapper, Dream Called Love (especially the bluesy solo bits), and Lynxpaw. Would the Paisley Drive do it?

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  2. cmaciag

cmaciag Member

3. Zero G

Zero G Member

One day I will have one of those great Marshalls. Until then, I've got a Peavey Classic 30 combo. :hide

4. landru64

landru64 Member

i'm pretty sure that was his cranked fender bf deluxe (non reverb). no pedal.

5. MHermans

MHermans Member

I think you are right. For 2 drink minimum and Greenwich Mean he was using a Fender amp. These are 2 of my favorite albums of all time. His tone is just amazing.

6. Zero G

Zero G Member

Oh yeah, man, just great stuff. I just love his neck pickup tone on Dream Called Love. Apparently John Suhr recently sent off one of his amps to Wayne with an ultra clean clean channel.

7. nrandall85

nrandall85 Member

We should talk about Krantz more often around here. Favorite.

8. MHermans

MHermans Member

This is a pretty cool video

9. Zero G

Zero G Member

:agree I didn't 'get' his music at first, but it rapidly grew on me after I did.

10. wizard333

wizard333 Member

Pretty sure he was using a Tube SCreamer on that. 1) A cranked DR doesn't do that, 2) You can clearly hear him step on something that adds gain and a whole lotta mids. He did use a vintage BF DR for sure, I remember he told me that directly. Not sure whether the pedal was a TS or what, dont' recall what he said, but from the tone, thats my guess.

11. nrandall85

nrandall85 Member

He's such an insanely creative individual who continually challenges himself to evolve. Gosh, compare 2 Drink Minimum to some of the more recent live recordings. Crazy.

I know Whippersnapper certainly sounds like a TS type overdrive for sure. He wasn't really as in to effects at that point. I'm not an expert on the Boss BD-2, though I know he has used one with the Analog Man mod for at least a few years now. Sounds like the 2 Drink Minimum recordings had more of that obvious mid hump, but BF Fender amp would also account for that.

Also, DEFINITELY check out the lessons he's offering for download on his web site. Incredibly insightful glimpses into the mind and approach of WK. The new(ish) album is well worth it too- any time he's playing with Lefebvre and Carlock is worth seeking out.

12. landru64

landru64 Member

i was there like every thursday for about 3 years during the period up to greenwich mean. i don't remember him using an OD pedal until after i moved from ny. but maybe he did use a pedal on 2 drink.

13. nrandall85

nrandall85 Member

Jealous.

14. landru64

landru64 Member

ps the deluxe had a celestion--i think a vintage 30--in it. this sound influenced me a lot. maybe too much :)

15. Aruntang

Aruntang Member

If you check out his website and click the link to his "old site" and then click on "dialogue" and then "letters" he discusses his gear on 2 Drink Minimum.

But for those that don't want to search, here you go:

Wayne, I really enjoy your guitar sound on the 2 Drink Minimum album. I know you have your gear posted on the website but I was wondering if you could give me any insight into the equipment you used on the album (if you remember). Possible amp or guitar mods and maybe the pedals you were featuring at that time. Any info you could give me would be appreciated.

2DM was the '64 Deluxe w/ Celestion Vintage 30, the stock '73 Strat or the Pensa Strat w/ Duncan rails (can't remember on which songs), a boss super overdrive, boss DDL and a microverb.

Thanks,

WK

16. binge

binge Member

Cool!

17. drolling

drolling Member

Bears repeating over & over, IMO
    Just one of many, MANY recorded examples of the fantastic tone a great player can wring out of pedestrian gear

Thanks for posting this! Quotes like that have saved me A LOT of money recently, having finally convinced myself that the sound I'm chasing will not be found in the next booteek overdrive pedal I'm on a waiting list for

It'd be so easy to fall back down that old familiar rabbit hole ~ I need constant reminders that I always come back up with a handfull of tubescreamers in swirly boxes & a matching walletfull of maxed-out credit cards

18. MHermans

MHermans Member

Wayne could play through a toy guitar and it would sound like him....

But those first couple albums, his tone was sooooo cool. He's all I listened to for about three years because his phrasing and tone were so new sounding to me.

I like when he kind of palm mutes his single notes sometimes. But just enough so you don't hear it as palm-muting....