• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Ways to change Gotoh trem Suhr S to non-floating

Adamclayton

I’ve never done it before, and have always kept my floating trem guitars floating. I’m trying to get out of bringing two guitars to gigs like I always have.

Guitar is a Suhr Classic S with Gotoh 510 trem I think. Want to be able to double string country bends and tune to drop D. I’d still like to use my tremolo. whats the best way to do this? Thanks

rob2966

I installed a Tremol-No on my Suhr Pro S4. It does work well but...
- it is a bit fussy to flip the guitar and lock/unlock using the set screws, I tend to just keep it locked these days
- have to remember which mode it is in, you don't want to go for that monster dive bomb if it is locked, damage could occur (since I keep it locked I also removed the bar to prevent accidents).

That said though, it does work well.

John(aka: Moby Dick)

Silver Supporting Member
I’ve never done it before, and have always kept my floating trem guitars floating. I’m trying to get out of bringing two guitars to gigs like I always have.

Guitar is a Suhr Classic S with Gotoh 510 trem I think. Want to be able to double string country bends and tune to drop D. I’d still like to use my tremolo. whats the best way to do this? Thanks
What’s preventing you from just tightening the tremolo springs until the bridge rests on the body?
It’s called decking the trem.

John(aka: Moby Dick)

Silver Supporting Member
He still want to have use of it floating.
That would cause indentations on the finish which are not desirable. It is better to use a piece/block of hardwood to make it a dive-only bridge.
Asjust the bridge posts until the tremolo plate is flat on the body.
No dents!

Lots of folks still use their trems set up in this manner.
Most famously of course was EVH.
Dive only.

hemmelight

The few Classic S that I’ve tried have the bridge floating when parallel to the body. I think if you tightened the springs all the way (so the bridge couldn’t move) then it would actually be angled back a little. Not ‘flush’.

I’d use a small piece of wood in between the body and bridge block to keep it from raising in pitch. In theory that should keep it snug but still at the correct angle.

Adamclayton

So I ordered the Tremol-No Large Clamp-type for my Gotoh 510 tremolo, Suhr Classic Pro HSS. Hope that’s the correct one. I confirmed this with Suhr and they said yes, but I’ve heard them contradict themselves in posts saying to use Large Clamp, then John Suhr has said to use Pin type before, so who knows. Ordered from STRATosphere which was the cheapest.

Husky

Pin type? I rarely say much about them.
I prefer naked and floating myself

So I ordered the Tremol-No Large Clamp-type for my Gotoh 510 tremolo, Suhr Classic Pro HSS. Hope that’s the correct one. I confirmed this with Suhr and they said yes, but I’ve heard them contradict themselves in posts saying to use Large Clamp, then John Suhr has said to use Pin type before, so who knows. Ordered from STRATosphere which was the cheapest.

Last edited:

Husky

EvH used to have a coin as a stop and really didn’t care about dents in the finish but I guarantee most people do. It should be blocked from the back if you want down only. If you do as you suggest you would have to change the neck angle or raise the saddles too high for my liking.

Asjust the bridge posts until the tremolo plate is flat on the body.
No dents!

Lots of folks still use their trems set up in this manner.
Most famously of course was EVH.
Dive only.

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom