Ways to deal with hand pain / muscle soreness?

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by Dioxic, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Dioxic

Dioxic Member

I've been working a lot on my legato technique, for at least an hour a day up to 3 or so. Mostly not "'musical" stuff, just more so technical exercises and am really working on rebuilding my legato technique from the ground up.

I've worked up to being able to practice legato for three hours a day in a pretty consistent way, think going to the gym.

So all that said when practicing for long hours I get the occasional finger or hand pain....I'd liken it to a "good pain," I guess more of a soreness.. again akin to working out.

Do you guys have any recommended treatments or remedies for this? Any harm in putting ben gay on my left hand? Any other suggestions?

2. cram

cram Member

[​IMG]

This is more of a coincidental quip on my part meant to be friendly.

We all have to bone up on stamina, but I think there's a point where you don't want to blow through like developing tendentious.
    My most effective practice is with proper breathing and proper contact with the strings by both my fingers and pick. It's a hard thing to remain relaxed when you're trying to make gains, but there's this calm dancing feeling that is present for me that I strive for.

Good luck.

3. MCHeulitt

MCHeulitt Member

I used to have a tremendous amount of pain. Now I do this routine a couple days a week and can play 8hrs if I want...

4. ari

ari Member

If it's more of a muscle fatigue, I'd say give it a rest. It's like any other muscles. After you work it up, you let it rest and recover. Keep piling stress when it's already tired can be counter-productive, if not harmful.

If it's more of a joint pain it's another matter, but guitar playing being a physical thing, I think it's normal for muscles to get tired.

ari

5. Dioxic

Dioxic Member

That got a good little laugh out of me. That was actually another motivation for switching to 8's. When I was playing on 10's or 11's I was definitely adding unnecessary tension, which led to more fatigue. Playing with 8's, particularly in a more legato style, has made me have to be hyper aware of the dynamics in both hands. The relaxation thing is something I definitely have to work on and improve.

Maybe I'll have to get back into yoga...

I've experienced both in the past and believe it's more muscle fatigue than anything else. I guess it's a classic case of wanting to see more results sooner haha.

Thanks everyone!