WB pickups!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by SnidelyWhiplash, Jul 30, 2008.

1. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Supporting Member

I purchased these from a fellow TGP member. They are the Vintage Tuned
    Hot. I put them in my Hamer Studio. This is a guitar that i have put many
    boutique p.u.'s in to try to get the perfect sound. (WCR,Fralin,Wolfetone,
    Smits,etc). These are not coming out any time soon. I think i have found
    the set i have been looking for.

:dude

2. Taller

Taller Silver Supporting Member

Anywhere is everywhere and nowhere is nothing.
    Will graciously loaned out a set of pickups for trial a couple of years ago. It was a set of his Firewater pickups, which I tried out in my McCarty. I found them a little hot for what I was looking for in that guitar, but they were articulate in a way that I hadn't experienced with any other pickup. They had a real apparant quality about them for sure.
    Will's got it goin' on! He's a real nice guy to boot, willing to help you find what you need.

3. JLee

JLee Supporting Member

I have two sets of his 6707 Peter Greens. Perfect match for my Tokai Love Rock and just the f'ing best pickups I've ever played. Especially the neck! Absolutely no mud and the most clarity I've heard from a neck pickup, while still retaining some balls and fatness. The bridge pickup is even better and I find it hard to switch from the bridge, even though I originally bought them for the out of phase middle position.

4. sleepingtiger

sleepingtiger Supporting Member

I've got WB's in 3 of my guitars & probably will have them in more. I've yet to be disappointed in those pickups. They do have that certain clarity that I just don't get anywhere else...& I don't just mean trebley. Note-to-note separation to die for. All the pickups I've tried really do have their own personality. Will's a good guy too...fun to talk to & be around!

Tony

5. serial

serial Member

Nothing but praise for WBs. I've used Voodoos, Rios, and tons of other pickups and the BCR Gregwinds are the PERFECT pickups for my Les Paul.
    [​IMG]

6. Steve Gambrell

Steve Gambrell Member

I put a set of Habaneros in my R7 a few weeks after I got it. Now, I've NEVER been one to monkey around with pickups, unless one tore up. But those Habaneros and that R7 are a match made in Dixie!

7. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

I'm running some 6707 VTPH in my R9 and its by far my favorite PAF-inspired pickup.

Others that I've tried or currently own, Tom Holmes, WCR, Duncan, ect...

8. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Good Luck with that!

9. FrankiePRS

FrankiePRS Member

I can't find the thread I was reading last night where somebody was saying they've waited since October 2007 to get a set of WB pickups, so I'll post this here. If anyone can link me to that thread, please do.

I'll preface this by saying that I'm a WB endorsee, and that I talk to Will 2-3 times a week on the phone.

He told me this morning that if it's true that someone has been waiting that long for pickups, they need to call him on his cell, which is 530-917-1356, and he'll give them a refund and send them the pickups.

Will will be the first to admit that he's not the greatest businessman - but as bad as he is at business, he's that good at making pickups, I swear. He really and truly has the magic.

I know he's pissed people off, and I know that some orders have fallen through the cracks. I also know that Will has a tendency to disappear off the face of the earth when the backlog gets too heavy. But I also know that his actions are never rooted in malice, and that eventually, somehow, he does make good. And the thing is, when he does... the pickups are frigging amazing, like nothing I've ever played.

Sooner or later, maybe Will will have an actual business model in place, and the help he needs. Maybe he'll open a storefront, or get a financial partner. Until then, it just is what it is. You may wait a long time for a set of WB pickups, but when they arrive, you'll be shocked at the complex tone, sustain and overall performance of his pickups.

10. sleepingtiger

That thread is gone Frankie. I talked to Will this morning(Saturday) also & posted an answer much like yours. Refund AND pickups! He may not be "efficient", but he'll bend over backwards to please & winds pickups like no one else!
    I think the other thread got pulled due to multiple violations of the basic forum rules. I noticed that the OP of the other thread deleted his replies on this thread also. Hopefully a lesson learned.....or not.

Keep Rockin' Frankie! I wish you gigged around here.I might even stay for the Rush tunes!;)

Tony

11. Gary Ladd

Gary Ladd Member

After hearing the nightmare customer service stories I went from being intrigued to wondering WTH was going on...

Glad you all had some luck with WB pickups though ;)

12. kdp86

kdp86 Member

Will is a great guy, a little hard to get a hold of sometimes, but cool none the less. I am also endorsed by WB, I use his VTP Hot in the neck, and Firewater+ in the bridge of my trusty 1991 Les Paul, and I also was given his first guitar build. It's basically a SRV "first wife" inspired strat, all nitro and 1 piece everything, with 6707 pickups. It's great, and I don't even like strats. I haven't been able to get a hold of him for a while because he's always doing something and his cell phone sucks, but we are good friends.

13. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

It's amazing. Will is the WORST when it comes to customer service, but when it comes to contacting moderators of a Forum to delete a thread or face legal action, he is ON IT.

14. sleepingtiger

Actually I hit the alert button. They made the decision. See the sticky about "deals gone bad". I had an issue with a business that involved a lot more dough & managed to deal with it off the forums. I didn't wait 10 months to take care of business though. Whining here would do nothing for me, but make me look bad, in addition to the "offender".

Tony