WCR Crossroads vs. Seth Lovers

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by saurudi, Sep 7, 2008.

1. saurudi

saurudi Member

Hi,

please give me some input about those particular pickups, cause i want to change the 59´s which i have in my heritage 535.
    based on opinions by a lot of folks, they seem to be pretty similar.

the 59´s sound somewhat decent, but since my heritage has more of a jazz vibe i prefer more of an airy tone.

thanks,

mario

2. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Supporting Member

I have a set of Seth's in my Hamer Newport. They sound great in that
    guitar,so i haven't felt the need to change them.

3. stratlad

stratlad Member

Have not played the WCRs. Have Seths in my R7 Les Paul and like them. They are different than the Duncans I would guess and differ from Gibson Classic 57s. They sound to my ear like "good" Gibson Burstbuckers in that they are clear and defined but have a warmer sheen to them and sound (to my ears) smoother when you bend notes.

They are unpotted, just so you know.

4. Third Stone

Third Stone Member

Got Seth's in my Hamer Newport as well. Actually the Seth is in the bridge and a Duncan Jazz in the neck. Love 'em. Definitely have that "airy" tone to them. The jazz sounds great in the neck position. I'm considering putting a set in my RI '61 SG.

Can't comment on the WCR's.

5. haslar

haslar Member

I tried Duncan '59s, WCR Crossroads & Duncan Seth Lovers in my Heritage H535.
    I prefer the Seth Lovers - similar to the '59 voicing, but more airy and articulate. Fantastic stuff.

6. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

I have a set of Seth Lovers in a guitar that originally came with a set of 59's. The Seths are worlds better IMO. Each pickup sounds better (the neck is clearer, the bridge is thicker) individually and they are better balanced as a set. I've played a set of Crossroads in another guitar I had for a while and they were nice, but I can't make a direct comparison (I wasn't as blown away as them as I was by the Seths, but that was in a different guitar that I didn't like as much and ended up selling).

-Austin

7. Mutley

Mutley Supporting Member

I tried the Crossroads set in my H535 before going to the Antiquity set. From my understanding, the Antiquities are Seth Lovers with "aged" magnets. I didn't like the Croads at all. To my ears they had a pronounced "artificial" high freq to them. Perhaps with the Alnico 2 mags that would be a bit smoother. I like the Antiquity bridge much better. Smoother sounding but retains the high freq needed. The neck is better IMO, but I would like to swap it out with a Seth Lover neck for giggles.

YMMV of course, but my vote would be the SD's.

Ned

8. Jim Wagner Pickups

Jim Wagner Pickups Member

You are right, the A2's do that. That's why I build my stuff so modular, to you have wiggle-room to adjust to your own tastes. A mag-swap is a lot cheaper than a whole different pickup.

9. JamminJeff

JamminJeff Member

When it comes to pickups, it's really hard to get the answer you're looking for without first hand experience.

That said, I have the Seth Lover in the bridge of an older Epi Dot and love it. Keep in mind it is unpotted and can squeal in certain circumstances but I play loud in band with plenty of classic gain and it doens't cause me any real problems. The tone is clearer then a Gibbie '57, which I now have in the neck of the same guitar. The '57 is a tad too warm but sings really nice at the same time.

The above pickups were in a '79 Les Paul and did great but I think they sound better in a semi-hollow. BTW, the Epi Dot I play is not your GC wall hanger flavor. It's a rare player and plays as well as the 335 Satin for example.

As for WCR's, I talked to the owner awhile back and he was GREAT to talk with. He didn't try to sell me on anything, but he did care that understood what "my" needs are. Rare, very rare.

Call WCR. I've heard great things and when I am ready to purchase pickups, WCR is on the top of the list. The Crossroads are probably what I will purchase.

10. haslar

haslar Member

Even though I replaced the Crossroads in my H535, I remain a huge fan of Jim Wagner's products.
    Don't get me wrong: I prefer warmer tones in a semi-solid, and got really fond of those Alnico2 pickups (Seth Lover neck, Custom Custom bridge).
    However, Jim's pickups are up there with the very best - I use a Darkburst set in an R8 and absolutely love them!

I agree with the previous poster: you should contact Jim and tell him exactly what you want.

11. saurudi

saurudi Member

hey guys,

thanks very much for your help in that difficult situation, i really appreciate it a lot.:)

Jim : we had a lot of conversation via mail and i think i will try the set which i have in my Gibson R7 ( Darkburst / Crossroads ) and see what happens.
    You´re absolutely right, a mag - swap would be a lot cheaper then any other pickup.

best regards,

mario

12. Jim Wagner Pickups

Jim Wagner Pickups Member

Bingo. In fact, in the next coupla days, I will have a nice suprise in some select models [​IMG]

13. RJM/rydog2223

RJM/rydog2223 Member

I had a set of the Crossroads in my old 68' LP custom with a RS kit and that was one of the best sounding geetars that I ever owned. I had to get rid of it due to the beastly weight and my back problems:(

14. HRydarcik

HRydarcik Member

How do Antiquities fit in with this comparison?

15. Rotten

Rotten Silver Supporting Member

If you want air, the Lollar Imperials are the airiest pickups I've heard. I had a set in a 335 and they were simply phenomenal.

16. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Jim's WCR pickups are amazing...espiecally the Godwoods...I've tried a few different sets of Seth Lovers in a few instruments over the past 5 years, and I find them trebley and harsh compared to WCR's

17. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

I had Seth Lovers in my Heritage and found them too bright and thin. I think primarily due to the A2's. Got a WCR Darkburst (A5) in there now and it rocks. I'de look into the Sheptones too, I have a set and they are excellent PAF's.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
  18. amigo30

amigo30 Member

I have a pair of Seth Lovers in an Edwards Oxblood. Airy is a great word to describe them. I keep wanting to try some other pickups in there, just for the sake of trying them. The Seth Lovers are so right for the guitar though, I just can't get myself to pull them out. Wonderful pickups, at least for that guitar.

19. RJM/rydog2223

RJM/rydog2223 Member

I have those in my Chambered R8 and just love them. Nice and airy like the Crossroads but with a bit more bite.

20. Oakley

Oakley Silver Supporting Member

I'm not sure I get it - The SLs have A2s - And shouldn't the A5s have more high end than A2s?