WCR Dark Bursts & RS Kit in my Les Paul Supreme!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Macaroni, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I got a new 2005 Les Paul Supreme a couple of months ago and I really love it. But of course, I had to improve it, so I recently installed a set of WCR Dark Bursts and a pre-wired RS Kit with their new Super Pots. I got the kit with push/pull Tone pots to split each pickup for single coil tones. I used the screw bobbin on the neck pickup and the slug bobbin on the bridge pickp.

The bottom line... a huge improvement! I found the stock 490R & 498T pickups to be a bit too hot, and lacking in mid range detail and clarity - they were nice, but not excellent. The Dark Bursts are perfect for the chambered body of the LPS. They are a bit hotter than the Crossroads (typical PAF), but not as hot as the 490/498, which suits my tastes.

The single coil tones are great - very woody neck and snappy bridge - like having a Les Paul and a Telecaster in one guitar!

The bridge pickup has just the right amount of cut and clarity without being harsh or edgy. The neck pickup is smooth and round. The middle position is very nice and maintains its detail and tonal signature even when using OD, which is a nice characteristic.

These are fantastic pickups and I've decided to sell the Voodoo 59s in my other solid body Les Paul, and get a set of Goodwoods (coil tapped too).

2. nsriley

nsriley Member

Very cool! RS kits are the best. I have to ask, what's the access to the the control like on the Supreme? From pics I've seen it looks like there is no rear cavity access.

-Peace
    -Nate

3. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

You're right - there is no rear cavity to access the pots. The input jack hole is larger than usual to allow for removal of the pots, etc. Plus the chambers inside are such that there is enough room for the push/pull pots. You have to take the entire assembly of pots out through the jack hole and disconnect everything outside, and then re solder everything. So you need extra long wires for the pickups too. But it's big enough to put the entire pre-wired RS Kit in and then pop the pots up through their respective holes on top.

4. DiazDude

DiazDude Member

I have WCR DarkBursts & RS Kit in my R8 LP. Tommorrow I'm taking my Rossington SG in for the kit & WCR Goodwoods. AND my SRV Strat for the Kit & WCR SR's.:JAM :JAM

5. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

I hear ya!!

I have and RS kit in all 2 LP's, WCR's in 1, Holmes in 1 and Lollars in 1.

6. Mojoman

Mojoman Supporting Member

I have that same setup in my Les Paul Standard Plus.
    Large improvement to be sure.
    RS and WCR are both great companies with great customer service.

7. Yossi

Yossi Member

I just received a set of Darkburst/Goodwoods and my RS Kit shoud arive UPS tomorrow. These will go into my LP Classic.

Question: Do the WCR Pups fit without any routing needed?

Yossi​

8. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I didn't have to change anything for them to fit. However, the stock Gibson 498T has slightly wider spacing, so that cover wouldn't fit on the WCRs, which both have the same spacing.

9. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

Hey, congrats Ron.

Glad you are digging the new setup.:)

Larry

10. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

Thanks Larry. I sold the ES-346 to help pay for it. ;)

11. tjs

tjs Senior Member

Hey Macaroni, how do those Darkbursts sound with your D32?

12. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

Phenomenal! I've continued with my NOS tube experiments, and recently acquired two matched quads of Polam/Telam EL84s, which are the best I've ever heard. Plus I added a NOS Tesla E83CC, which is a terrific copy of a Telefunken ECC803S - WOW!!! The clarity and detail and power are shockingly good. And with the Dark Bursts, it went way over the top, tonally speaking. I'm continually amazed at how incremental changes in my rig keep raising the bar.

13. BillyBardahl

BillyBardahl Member

Macoroni, I just ordered the same setup for my 2001 Standard...Darkbursts from WCR, and the RS kit. I went ahead and got the complete pre-wired kit with the super pots and some extra braided wire "just in case":RoCkIn . The pickups won't ship to me until the WCR folks get back from Namm, so I will have to wait awhile. Can't wait to hear em!

14. Yossi

Yossi Member

Right now I'm sitting on my WCRs and my RS Kit until the second week in Feb when I could make an appointment to have the work done and get a pro set-up at the same time.
    It's sure tough waiting.

Yossi

15. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

The Dark Bursts, and I assume the other WCR pickups, have a rich, hi fi tone to them. You can hear and feel the quality. I can't wait to get a set of Goodwoods too! Waiting is always the hard part - waiting till they come, waiting till they're installed. I LOVE IT!

16. DiazDude

DiazDude Member

I should have both guitars back by Tuesday, I'm GEEKED!!:dude :dude

17. 20forSeven

20forSeven Member

What is a RS kit and where can I find them?

18. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Member

I've got the RS kit, but I sure want the Darkbursts or suitable WCR...I have Pearly Gates right now in my R8

19. NatDeroxL7

NatDeroxL7 Member

Here's to reviving this thread. How long did it take you to install the pups and RS kit. I have a supreme, and I am pretty handy and good at putting things together, but have not worked on a guitar before, especially one without a back plate. I am wondering how long it took you because I'd like to weigh the cost of bench time having it done professionally versus the pain in the arse and risk of doing it myself.

If I do go it alone, any installation tips specific to the supreme? Thanks!

-Nate