WCR Darkburst or Voodoo 59 for bridge of 61 Reissue SG?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Mullard Man, Aug 31, 2006.

1. Mullard Man

Mullard Man Member

I really like the Duncan 59 alot in the bridge. Just want to try something else to compare. Seth Lover is in the neck.

The tone I want is classic AC/DC- late 70's-early 80's. The SD-59 gets in that territory but I have heard great things about these 2 pickups.

Opinions?

2. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

The WCR BetSet in my Les Paul Goldtop just rules for AC/DC, but I haven't got my 63 SG out of the paintshop yet, so I can't say what's the right pickup for the "Angus AC/DC" tone just yet.

3. Festus

Festus Supporting Member

I've got a few Darkbursts in different guitars, and they sound dynamite. Haven't tried the Voodoo's, so can't compare, but I am getting the sound I was after with the WCR's.

4. Blueser

Blueser Member

If you get your hands on the NYC Tonefest DVD. Jack Devine was playing my Voodoo loaded R8 LP into my Constellation for the demo. They are staying right where they are!

5. Roe

Roe Member

for acca dacca: voodoo 60's pup, a t top pup, patent number pup - or the SD '59

6. mrfjones

mrfjones Member

I was thinking of the voodoo 60's the whole time i was reading this thread.

so +1 with Roe

7. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Also agree w/the Voodoo 60s i/o 59s for the bridge. WCR DBs are very nice and thick, and on the smoother side. The Voodoos have a bit more bite and are more to the vintage side. I've owned both and it's hard to go wrong with either.

8. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Got mine from Ludlow in NY. They stock the full line.

9. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

dood...check out a fillmore in the bridge of that SG...you will cream-jeans....

10. Mullard Man

Mullard Man Member

Voodoo used to have 62 model that was a regular production model that would be ideal for AC/DC. Now it is a special order- $200.00

I know that the Darkburst and Voodoo 59 are great pickups. It's hard to figure out which would work better in an SG for that tone without clips of those pickups in an SG. SD-59 does the tone very well but I'm always open to others.