WCR Darkbursts initial impressions

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Mark C, Apr 19, 2005.

1. Mark C

Mark C Member

Wow. Holy ****. Oh My God.

Borrowed a set from Pedro 58, who needs to finish the guitar he plans to put them in. I think I'm going to cry when I have to give them back! I'll try and do some clips through my Flexi-50 before the end of the week. All the classic LP tone anyone could ever want is in there, and they clean up like nobody's business.:dude

2. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

If you want to totally trip out, plug in and then mess with pickup height and pole peice height on the fly. You'll spend an hour or so, but the education on these things is priceless once you do that. They are so utterly responsive to changes it is unreal; and once you dial in the sweet spot you won't believe it.

Oh, and I'd suggest just buying another set to give back to Pedro 58. :D

3. Mark C

Mark C Member

Thanks for the tips Scott. I'll most likely be getting some WCRs eventually, both for my Les Paul and my es335. I'm thinking darkbursts for the LP and Crossroads for the 335. Of course, the age old problem rears it's ugly head, where do I find $600 for pickups?:eek:

4. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Well, I look at it long term - think about how much you'll save over the next few years *not* buying pickups to swap into the guitars you own? :D

In other words, how can you NOT afford them? :D

It is all in the perspective. ;)

5. teestone

teestone Mostly Regular Member Silver Supporting Member

I like your thinking Scott....;)

6. tiptone

tiptone Silver Supporting Member

Mr. Peterson, you clearly need to be introduced to my fiance. She could learn tons from you ;)

7. DoobieK

DoobieK Member

No arguing with Scott on this one. I have a pile of humbuckers I have tried that will never go back in guitars I own, since buying my first set of Darkbursts. It all adds up to $600.00 easily. Including a few sets of Fillmores, that I thought were the best pickups ever.

8. Jim Wagner Pickups

Jim Wagner Pickups Member

Yeah, me too..... that statement should be a sticky.......
    BUUUUAAAAHHHHAHAHAHAH:p

9. niersbach

niersbach Member

All these posts are just killin me!! My Mcnaught with the Rio Grande Fat Bastard P90's is at FatSound right now getting a set of DarkBursts added along with a push pull tone knob. I probably should have attempted teh install myself, but I didnt want my first foray into bringing solder near my guitar to be on one I dropped a ton of cash into.

10. gigs

gigs Member

Ok, so its been over 6 years. Still love them?

11. supa-fuzz

supa-fuzz Member

The best pickup maker out there IMHO

12. JPF

JPF Member

That was my first impression as well when I put a pair into my mid-'80s Greco LP.

A year later, and I'm still blown away by them. And yes, finding the sweet spots takes a little while, but is time very well spent.

Great, great pickups!

13. Mark C

Mark C Member

I do still think they're fantastic. However, I had limited experience with boutique humbuckers back then, and I've since found that there are many makers of pickups that I can be happy with, and for less money than WCR.

14. bc-cosmo

bc-cosmo Member

I love my Darkbursts. I've been happy with them for the past 3 years or so. My Grosh Setneck came with them, and I snagged a bridge DB and paired it up with a Crossroads in my R9. :)

15. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

I put a set of double cream Darkbursts in my Goldtop back in '06 and haven't looked back. Great pickups. Perfect match for my trusty R7.

16. doublescale1

doublescale1 FSR Tele Silver Supporting Member

I live on the east side of metropolitan Detroit
    Crossroad neck and Darkburst bridge in my R9 for the last four years - just turned on a friend to that guitar because he is looking to banish the harsh BB's that came in his R9 (it's like a public service). Also a CR & Goodwood combo in my McCarty three years ago - the forerunner to what became the American Steel set - amazing tone and touch sensitivity. Happy WCR camper here.

17. HEY!YOU!

HEY!YOU! Senior Member

Put a set in my flying V.

Fat.

18. stratman89

stratman89 Supporting Member

I put in a Crossroads neck and Darkburst bridge pup in my R8 ........killer, killer pickups!

Jim is a top notch guy to deal with as well.

Win! Win! :beer

19. SteveGaines

SteveGaines Member

I went through everything...Lollars, Andy Brauer Sheptones, Rio Grande Texas and Barbeque Bucker.. I was getting ready to throw in the towel until I bought a Darkburst and placed it in the neck and a Goodwood in the bridge. "IT WAS THAT LES PAUL SOUND I HAD BEEN HEARING IN MY HEAD"..Jim Wagner is the man. He has great customer service and his PUPS are the best I've tried so far.

20. Marble

Marble Member

I have the WCR Fillmores, and while they probably aren't for everyone, they absolutely SMOKE! Real hot PAF style you know. That plus a Marshall style amp = all the tone you'd ever need!!