WCR Fillmore impressions?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Blue Strat, Nov 27, 2005.

1. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    I'm thinking about getting a pair of these for my PRS Custom 22.

Has anyone else done this? Any impressions on what the difference in tone will be?

2. erksin

erksin Member

I put a Fillmore bridge in a homemade Tele-style guitar and I really like it a lot. Definitely the best sounding clean tones I've ever had using a humbucker. With OD, it has a lot of clarity and bite but isn't shrill or harsh sounding. Might not have enough mids for some guys, but I think it's a killer sounding pup. Super versatile, just play with the height and you can get anything from airy to chunky. Nice clean up with the volume knob too.

3. mockoman

mockoman Member

Mike-
    You truly are one of 'us!' Go cat go!

4. retrospex

retrospex Member

I also have one in my Tele custom build, in the neck position. It is sweet. Great tone.

5. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

I, too, have been considering a set of WCRs for my PRS CU22. I've currently got a set of Duncan Seth Lovers in there, but I can't help but wonder what I'm missing. The new Darkbursts also sound very interesting.

6. JES1680

JES1680 Silver Supporting Member

Got one in the bridge of my R9. Love it.

7. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

Hey Blue Strat,

sorry I didn't respond to your request for a review of my Fillmore on a different thread. I wanted to mess around a little more before I responded.

I tried the Darkbursts in my Prs24 and they didn't work for me. I thought the bridge was too smooth and even for me. It had all the great things going for it that everyone on this site has mentioned(clarity, cleans up well, splits nice, etc...) It just didn't have the balls or edge I like in my distorted sounds.

I put a Fillmore in the bridge, and I seem to like it better. It seems to have a little more edge, but is much thinner and I think brighter. It does not seem to match the Darkburst neck in volume or thickness. They don't blend very well. The Fillmore seems to have less power than the neck pup. I have tried adjusting the heights of the pups and pole pieces and the sounds of the two seem uncommonly different. Even when I get the Fillmore in the bridge to be hotter, when I switch to the neck the Darkburst just seems to sound so much fuller.

I think something is weird with the Fillmore, as the Darkbursts matched just fine . I don't know whats going on as I have had many different pups installed in many guitars and never had 2 pups that don't seem to match what so ever. I'm pretty sure the wiring is right, as all my 5 way positions seem to be right. Even when I had the Prs neck pup matched with the Darkbusrt, they seemed to match just fine.

I guess I'm not a good source of info, and I didn't mean to hi-jack your thread with my problem. May be I should just email Jim and shut-up.:)

I just didn't want to ignore your request for a review of my Fillmore in my Prs. But, we have different models and the stock pups are different too. I can't compare to the Dragon 2's that you have, as I have never heard them.

Sorry for going off on a tangent.

Larry

8. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Thanks Larry, all in put is good.

From past reviews, I've never heard anyone mention lack of balance between neck and bridge, so maybe something's not quite right with your bridge pickup.

9. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

How do the Lovers compare to the stock pickups?

10. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Mike - I love the Filmores. I think you'll find them WAY clearer sounding and more distinctive sounding than any PRS pickups, particularly when playing an overdriven amp.

11. bryan83

bryan83 Member

I got the Fillmore's in my SG and I love 'em. It was such a huge difference from the stock gibson 490/498 combo. They are very clear and articulate pups, no mud to hide behind on the neck pup.

12. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Thanks for the responses guys. Looks like I'll have to take the plunge.

13. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Just to jump in the pool.... I love the Fillmores; I have a bridge in my Melancon Tele and totally dig it.

14. drjenkins

drjenkins Member

Do it!! I cant see why you'd be disappointed. I have a Fillmore/Crossroads combo in my Nunis custom, and I just love them.

Dave