WCR Godwood vs. Wolfetone Marshallhead

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Ezyryder, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Ezyryder

Ezyryder Member

Has anybody done an A/B comparison on these? I'm curious how they are different tone wise, which one was preferred and why. I'm interested in bridge pickups only and I'm using Les Pauls. I guess magnet config should be mentioned also since both can be purchased in several different configs. Thanks!

2. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

You will not need a swap with the goodwood/godwood unless you have a really bright guitar I have the gw in a fairly bright LP Standard.It sounds immaculate Wolfe winds a mean PAF clone as well,but I currently use WCR's with one exception,and I may get some for the tele...

3. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I liked the wolfetone bridge better than the godwood, but liked GW neck better than the wolfetone.

4. cryptozoo

cryptozoo Member

My main guitar is currently a Les Paul with a Godwood bridge -- literally a match made in heaven. Tone of the GODS. I also have another Les Paul with a Godwood in the bridge and it doesn't sound as good. I blame the guitar for that. My Marshallhead wound up in my SG, which is a match made in heaven. Sounded pretty good in the 'Paul, though... just depends on how much crunch you're after.

5. doyle o'brian

doyle o'brian Member

I am considering these two pickups for my historic sg. The burstbuckers in it sound kind of thin and harsh and I am looking for something fat and smoothe to replace them. Jim at WCR recommended the Godwood and Wolfe recommended his Marshallhead. What do you guys think? Anything else I should consider?

6. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

My experience w/Wolfe is,he can wind a p/up any way you like it. He`s FIRST CLASS all the way,and doesn`t overcharge either. Another great p/up guy is Peter Biltoft at Vintage Vibe p/up`s. Good Luck!

7. Monroe

Monroe Guest

Is the GW normally A2 or A5?

8. Monroe

Monroe Guest

Anybody have any experience with a GW A2 in the bridge?

9. TattooedCarrot

TattooedCarrot Supporting Member

I know Big Mike uses A2 in his GW's as his #1 bridge pup. Send him a PM. He told me it makes it a little warmer and a little smoother.

10. papersoul

papersoul Supporting Member

The best pickups I have tried are the WCR Goodwood, Wolfetone Timbrewolf and Rio grande BBQ, but in different guitars. The BBQ was the one that really seemed to work in different guitars and was fatter/thicker than the others. That said, the Goodwood was heaven in my Burst LP and the Timbrewolf was great in my black LP.

I haven't tried any of these with Alnico II mags because I am also afraid AII will sound nasally and thin due to the lack of bass. Maybe more winders should use AIVs?

Another great winder is Wade at Motor City! Check him as well. He is as good as the others. Check out his Black Belt and Detroiter.

11. mockoman

mockoman Member

I've had the Gwood,the Marshallhead,& the Dr V in the bridge of my R0.

The Gwood & the Dr V are very similar:bright,clear,full range,no mid hump.
    The Marshallhead has a touch less highs,and slightly more mids. Still clear & articulate,but with an added vowel/cocked wah sound.Definitely my preference.

Mine have all had the stock,whatever-they come-with magnet.

12. papersoul

Try Motor City, guys!

13. mockoman

mockoman Member

The thing with pickups,like speakers:you gotta buy 'em,install 'em,& try 'em, to really know which works for you.

It can be fun,it can be a pain,it can get expensive,etc...

14. papersoul

Should be Goodwood vs Caretaker! Anyone a fan of theCaretaker?