WCR greatness

ajazzguy

dear toneguys

after trying more than a few modifications on the stock lollars on my collings i35 finally installed WCR darkwood-corssroad set.
played it at a gig tonight and taking it on tour in a few days.

FINALLY the guitar speaks! and i can use the bridge and in-between positions too!

i cant say enough great things about these. i played fralin, armstrong,dimarzio a few duncans and a few lollars, and these are BY FAR the best i played

jads57

Silver Supporting Member
I had the same problem awhile back w/ my Hamer Talladega. Swapped out the original Duncans, tried several other Duncans, Rio Grande, etc. Finally hit paydirt w/ Sheptone PAF AB version. It's amazing how guitars react to different humbuckers.

dwvinky

dear toneguys

after trying more than a few modifications on the stock lollars on my collings i35 finally installed WCR darkwood-corssroad set.
played it at a gig tonight and taking it on tour in a few days.

FINALLY the guitar speaks! and i can use the bridge and in-between positions too!

i cant say enough great things about these. i played fralin, armstrong,dimarzio a few duncans and a few lollars, and these are BY FAR the best i played

Got the same set in my R8. Sound great!!

big mike

Cathode biased
Platinum Supporting Member
Big fan of all things WCR, and proud to call Jim a friend.
Great products.

dbeeman

Jim is one of the good guys. I had a couple of WCRs that were good, but not quite right for me. The I got the Icebuckers ... game over for that guitar.

cowboytim

Went to WCR world headquarters, that's Jim's garage and workshop. Brought my amp, a Vox AC 15. Plugged in my LP Epiphone and compared it to all his guitars with all the different pickup combo's. The 1st guitar I picked up was a LP with "Betts set" PAF pickups loved the neck pup and the bridge was the 1st bridge pup I ever liked. The Front is basicly a crossroads pup and the bridge pup has even less windings. To me less is more! I bought the "Betts set" set and all new pots. Installed them myself with Jim's phone tech support. I can now split my humbuckers and basicly have a "NEW" guitar. Thanks Jim!

Last edited:

Powderfinger

What's with these super-expensive high-end guitars (R8's, McNaughts, Talladega, Collings) that don't sound right without pickup changes?:nuts

abadiemet

Went to WCR world headquarters, that's Jim's garage and workshop. Brought my amp, a Vox AC 15. Plugged in my LP Epiphone and compared it to all his guitars with all the different pickup combo's. The 1st guitar I picked up was a LP with "Betts set" PAF pickups loved the neck pup and the bridge was the 1st bridge pup I ever liked. The Front is basicly a crossroads pup and the bridge pup has even less windings. To me less is more! I bought the "Betts set" set and all new pots. Installed them myself with Jim's phone tech support. I can now split my humbuckers and basicly have a "NEW" guitar. Thanks Jim!

+1 on the BetSet. Best set of humbuckers I've ever heard.

otaypanky

Play it like you mean it ~
WCR wiring kits are hot too, I dig mine. Popped it in a LP with an American Steel set
But you know, making pickups is a demanding endeavor. The hours of product testing and research is gruelling !!!
You can tell the toll it takes by the look on Jim's face :rolleyes:

Jim3.jpg

carson072

Awesome pickups, I have a Darkburst set in a custom guitar I had built. Great split coil sounds and the best humbucking sounds I've heard in a guitar. They are huge upgrade over standard pickups IMO, well, well worth the cash.

Marty s Horne

What's with these super-expensive high-end guitars (R8's, McNaughts, Talladega, Collings) that don't sound right without pickup changes?:nuts

My 2 McNaughts both have the original pickups in them, WCRs in one, and Rio Grandes in the other. Both guitars are tone monsters!

Last edited:

bugman

i have a darkburst set in my warren haynes les paul, just killer i say, also wcr pots and caps, wcr all the way, merry christmas jim,rock on

Trending Topics

Top Bottom