WCR Hybrid Set review

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by drjenkins, Aug 22, 2005.

1. drjenkins

drjenkins Supporting Member

Alright guys,

First time Ive ever posted a review like this, so here goes.

After spending a week and a half with my WCR's I feel like I can give a good report on them:

1. For anyone comtemplating buying any of Jim's pickups...just do it.
    Super cool guy, that just happens to make a superior product.

2. I follwed Jim's recommendation on a pickup combination, and couldnt be happier with the results!

3. Everything I asked for, these pickups deliver.

I got a custom guitar built and after all the hype I decided that I wanted to try WCR's in it. All the hype was well founded in truth. I dont know that Ill ever use another brand of humbucker. Ive been playing for 18 years and Ive found a missing piece of my sound.

Jim suggested that I try a Fillmore bridge, with a Crossroads neck. I told him I wanted to be able to go from Jazz to Metal, and all flavors in between. I asked, he delivered. Any tone I could want, I can dial up. I got the 4-conductor wires to split both pickups. Very very convincing split coil sounds. Most humbucker Ive tried, when split, just seem to get weaker. These, of course, change their tonality, but keep a warmth that makes them unique in their own way. Ive yet to find a position, split or unsplit, that I dont like. Both pickups have awesome note definition across the board. No matter how much gain I punched them with.

The sustain and harmonic quality is top notch. And so is the build quality. My builder, Jim Nunis, of Nunis Custom Guitars, said that they had the best split coil sound of any pickup he's ever heard, and I have to agree. My next Nunis custom will have WCR's in it too.

If you have any question as to which pickup to buy, get in touch with Jim@WCR. Spot-on recommendations and great customer service. Cant praise them enough!!

2. retrospex

retrospex Member

WCR pickups are awesome. They are quality built for sure. And the tone is as good as it gets. And it's great to be able to talk with the person builing the pickups, to get the tone you are looking for, can't do that with Dimarzio or Duncan, or EMG.

3. johnny q

johnny q Member

Very cool. I have been thinking about the Fillmore set for a while but was a little hesitant to have a neck pickup wound so high, but the crossroads neck sounds like a great solution.

Tell me more about the Fillmores "metal" capabilities?? Not nu-metal drop tuned mush mind you, but the "good stuff!"

JQ

:D

4. drjenkins

Well I do have the guitar tuned to drop C# !

J/k one of mine is, but not this one.

Im using mine through an Engl Savage 120. That particular amp has mucho gain on tap. So Ive pounded the crap outta these things, and they punched back, much to my delight!!

It gets a very articulate dirt, you hear everything. So unlike most "metal" type pickups, you cant hide behind the gain, or the hotness of the pickup. Dont get me wrong, they're hot, they just dont mask your playing. If you suck, they show that. If you can play at all, you can coax some hellacious sounds out of them. Pinch harmonics, natural harmonics, and that ever lovely sustain. And if you are of the downtuned mindset, they do nothing but get more ballsy, no flub, no mush. Tuned to drop D and the heaviness insued!

Im gonna try out a set of Jim's "Metal" pickups next. He said the Herc's were the tip-top total balls-out pickups. Death Metal all the way, so Im leaning that way!:dude

The crossroads neck is just brilliant. I set my Ch.2 on the Engl to a mildly distorted sound, and just wail on it. I cant say enough how impressed I am with the set I have.

5. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

Yes, please reveal. This sounds like a combination I could use in my Les Paul. When I think metal, to me that's Judas Priest, Dio, Scorpions, Iron Maiden, Accept....

6. drjenkins

You should be able to use them for all that with no problem at all.

I myself would consider those bands hard rock.(if we're gonna get into genres :D ) I think bands like Meshuggah, Arch Enemy, etc are Metal, at least the Metal that I speak of. But that's all subjective really. Good music is good music. And all that you listed are awesome. But I digress.

I use them for heavier fare, but they adapt really well to whatever you need them to be. Its a killer combo to be sure. Like I said before, I wouldnt hesitate, if you think you want to try some, just get a set. I havent heard any negative comments on them at all.:D

7. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

Thanks!

Did you go for any kind of RS Guitarworks pot and cap upgrade for this installation?

8. drjenkins

The stock components that Nunis uses in his guitars, are almost the exact kit RS sells.

Wagner recommends that you get it, and every one of his recommendations has been spot-on so far, so I would, couldnt hurt.

Dave

9. papersoul

papersoul Member

Yes, the Fillmore is so rich, fat and clear it is obsurd! I love it in my PRS McCarty. You should try the Shredder...oh hell yea!

10. drjenkins

Either the Shredder or the Herc set in my next guitar I think. Goin for the HEAVY sound on it for sure!!

Dave

11. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

Got a GW/CR set a couple days ago. The bummer is that I won't get to hear 'em 'til my Driskill gets built...hopefully this fall.