• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

WCR Pick-up's: Your opinions please...

saltydogg

Rock & Roll Enthusiast
Platinum Supporting Member
Gents,

I was looking into replacing the BB1 & BB2 in either my LP 59RI or my LP 58CR.

For those of you who currently use them, or have tried them, I'd appreciate your opinions (particularly tone, clarity and bite) on the following:

Reference: Allman Brothers, Jimi, Stones, Cream, Neil Y.

Crossroads
Godwoods
Fillmores
BetSet
MooreGreen

Note: I have listened to the sound bites on their website, but would like hear a few opinions as well.

Thanks for your time.
:band

mgarrison99

I love the Godwood in the bridge position of my 93 LP Studio. Had WB H&G habeneros in there but just didn't like the bridge position. Left the WB in the neck and it sings nicely. The double creams also make the guitar look sweet:

I like the Godwood alot, but you might opt for a Fillmore or Crossroads in the neck for a little less bite. Good luck!

LowWatt

I've got a Godwood (from when they were called Goodwoods) in the bridge of my SG and it is Angus Young. Thick, hot mubucker, but with all of the richness and character of a pickup that hasn't been overwound.

It's got a Crossroads in the neck. Cream. Absolute Eric Clapton Fresh Cream.

Knuckles

I have a Darkburst / Ironman combo in my ESP Explorer and they're some of the best sounding high output pickups I've heard. Output to compete with EMG's but with the dynamics of passive humbuckers - better string definition.

Stormbringer

I explained Jim what i wanted - similar preferences you mentioned above - and he pointed me to American Steels, a crossroads on the necka and a Godwood on the bridge. Rocking! really, my Les Paul can do it all now.

For the kind of sounds you're going, I'd go with the Steeles or a full Crossroads set.

And, to my ears and in my experience, Jim makes the best humbucking pickups out there, period.

saltydogg

Rock & Roll Enthusiast
The the obvious anwer is WCR kicks some serious ass and is now giving me a case of serious GAS. How about the Fillmores?

Thanks for your opinions- any others??

louderock

The the obvious anwer is WCR kicks some serious ass and is now giving me a case of serious GAS. How about the Fillmores?

Thanks for your opinions- any others??
I have the Fillmores along with an RS Guitarworks wiring kit in my Les Paul. Great sounding pickups. Very open top end and clear sounding. Clean up really well with the guitar's volume knob (as long as you have a good volume pot). I'll leave my OCD on all the time and use the guitar volume to get clean/ semi clean.

stubbyJ

Silver Supporting Member
First off, I will state that the main thing to consider is finding the right pickup guitar combination. You can stick the "best" pu in the world in the wrong guitar, and get not to good results.

That said. If you are working with a darker guitar, go with a brigher pu such and a seymour duncan antiquity - bright, maybe a Lollar.

I have had many pickups and while WCR's are good, they are many just as good - I guess I'm saying to experiment and certainly don't judge by name alone.

Unfortunately, finding the right pu guitar combo can be a very expensive proposition.

Good luck

Joe Boy

First off, I will state that the main thing to consider is finding the right pickup guitar combination. You can stick the "best" pu in the world in the wrong guitar, and get not to good results.

That said. If you are working with a darker guitar, go with a brigher pu such and a seymour duncan antiquity - bright, maybe a Lollar.

I have had many pickups and while WCR's are good, they are many just as good - I guess I'm saying to experiment and certainly don't judge by name alone.

Unfortunately, finding the right pu guitar combo can be a very expensive proposition.

Good luck
Well like TOP said, he's pulling out BB's for something Wags sells.
Though your thoughts are valid theres not alot of brain surgery involved here, just a little common sence.

stubbyJ

Silver Supporting Member
Mr. Southbound

I will dissagree in your comment about it being common sense, for there are many on here that are new to this thing, therefor not common sense to them.

I do not know the history of the poster, so I'd thought I'd mention. Did you know this when you first started, I would doubt it.

I assume I offended you for not gloating about WCR's, sorry.

Also, is there any "brain surgery" involved with anything on here.

Sorry, I did not pick up on the BB thing.

I have to admit that I don't fully understand those like yourself whom feel the need to be TGP police.

I was just attempting to help a guy out and offer some advice - not go on hype alone.

Steve73

I have Darkbursts in my Haynes sig LP and I love 'em. Huge improvement over the BB's IMO.

Tidewater Custom Shop

Performance Enhancing Guitarworks
Silver Supporting Member
Goodwood neck and Darkburst bridge w/ WCR pots/caps. I pulled whatever was in my '95 R7 (57 Classics?) because they sounded thin to me. The WCRs remedied that! Especially the GW - man... awesome, full and clean. The DB bites hard and doesn't let up. Highly recommended...

datguytim

Silver Supporting Member
Godwood Bridge, Crossroads Neck PUs in my R9 = tone heaven. Really - ultra-versatile, rich, juicy, warm, aggressive or smooth, what's not to like?!?

Trending Topics