WCR Pick ups

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by dmg34, Jul 30, 2006.

1. dmg34

dmg34 Member

Hey guys I can't decide on which pick ups from Jim I should get. I want to make my les paul sound like Duane Allman/Dickey Betts I am stuck between the Filmore Pick ups and the Darkburst pick ups. Any help would be awsome. I really want the tone from Stormy Monday and You Don't love me. My two favorite songs by the AAB.

Thanks guys

2. gooma

gooma Member

I`m pretty much chasing the same sound :)

From everything i`ve read and heard the Darkburst`s will get pretty close. I havent any first hand experience with them tho, i`d like to hear from those who have also.

Brad

3. CharlieS

CharlieS Member

IMO you should go for the Goodwoods or the Goodwood bridge and a Darkburst or Crossroads neck. Any of these will get you Allman tone. The DB bridge might not give you enough push.

4. fretnot

fretnot Gold Supporting Member

What about the Bet Set? After all, they were modeled after Betts' pickups! :AOK

5. jw71

jw71 Member

I've got a Darkburst bridge and a Crossroads neck in my SG. They sound darn good. Definitely vintage sounding. I play through a JTM45 and get some pretty convincing ABB tones, although I don't strive for them. I'm also a fan, but am more into more higher energy rock. I think most quality PAF'ish pickups can get ABB sounds in the right guitar and, more importantly, the right amp.

Anyway, Jim is a great guy, he makes great pickups and has great customer service. He'll definitely help you out, just give him a call. You can't go wrong with WCR.

6. auburn-grad

auburn-grad Member

I had a Darkburst/Crossroads set in my previous LP (a Classic) and I currently have the Goodwoods in my R8 LP.....I think either pair will get you close to what you want....however, the Goodwoods are thicker (which I prefer)....

..it also depends on what type of amp you may be using, too?

7. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

8. mkl13

mkl13 Silver Supporting Member

I have fillmore's in a PRS McCarty and can get a great Dickey Betts tone through my Rocky Top JTM 45. I also have a Goodwood bridge in a R0 les paul and while it is slightly different it can get some great Allman tones as well.

9. captainT

captainT Member

I'm the other winner of the pickups and I called JIM he is the one you should be talking to. I mixed two brands for my Paul: that was after talking to Jim. He is a nice guy and very personable with alot of knowledge as to what you maybe looking for. I'm sure he would be glad to make suggestions as to your needs. :RoCkIn

10. Festus

Festus Supporting Member

I have a Darkburst/Crossroads set in a Robin Savoy - sounds dynamite. I have a Goodwood/Darkburst set in a G&L legacy - also sounds awesome.

What guitar are they going in? That will make some difference. I'd lean towards the DB/CR set in a Les Paul, and maybe the Goodwood/DB in something with less mass to it. The Goodwoods are thicker, with a bit more power.

Talk to Jim, though. He'll get you set up. :AOK