WCR Pick-Ups

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by otaypanky, Jun 29, 2008.

1. otaypanky

otaypanky Gold Supporting Member

I can't say enough great things about the new WCR pick-ups I recently installed in my L.P. Custom. I have had the guitar since '92, and although it feels great in the hand, it never earned a spot in my heart with it's tone and character. Through Vinni Smith of V-Picks, I met Jim Wagner of WCR pick-ups. A nicer guy you won't find. He guided me toward a set of his American Steel humbuckers, after listening to me ramble on about what I was looking for, and listening to a few sound clips of the kind of tone I was after that I sent him. I also opted for one of his wiring kits, and changed over to 50's style wiring.
    The other day was an absolutely gorgeous summer day here in Pa., but I couldn't get out of my basement. I got those pick-ups and wiring kit installed, dialed in the pick-up adjustments, and for 11 hours, I couldn't put that thing down! What an incredible difference. These things are alive! I get nuances of tone I never was able to get near with the stock Gibsons. Neither have I ever been one to use a bridge pick-up very much. But this one is a treat. These pick-ups have definitely made this an outstanding guitar. It was important to me that I get this thing right. I purchased the guitar in '92 while my father was suffering with cancer. When I wasn't at the hospital, I was home playing out my sadness on this guitar. I bought it during that last month of his illness to replace the one he had gifted me back in '68, a Goldtop DeLuxe, which I foolishly traded it away during my college years. So somehow for me, this one was a link back to that one he had gotten for me so long ago. My thanks to Jim for making this the really special guitar it is ~
    http://www.wcrguitar.com/

2. bolero

bolero Member

wow, what a story

congrats...

I agree, custom pickups are the shiznit....I have WCR's & Wolfetone's, they blow the stock Gibby pups out of the water!! Seymour Duncan's were my pup of choice before, but even they sound pretty pedestrian now

anything that inspires you to play more is a good thing....:RoCkIn

3. Macman

Macman Member

Well I posted this on BAM so after reading your post I thought I'd second that too...

I thought I was getting great tones from the PRS #10s in my Hollowbody 1. I had a pair of WCR Darkburst Neck and Goodwood Bridge in a Brian Moore C90p which were doing great but I needed more uumph in the bridge of the BM. So i decided to see if the WCR combo set sounded good in the HB1 first. BOY!!!!!!! What I heard out of the bridge was just amazing. Clarity and yet really balanced low mids that complimented well on the HB's frequencies. The neck was fat yet crystal clear. I got more grind too out of the overall setup running a whole set of Jetter Gain Stages into my mesa nomad 45 2x12 combo.

The coil taps sounded even more amazing than the #10s split. A really close to Thinline sounding guitar.. I had them wired to be able to do inner/full hum/ outer so I got strat and tele bite all from the same guitar.

Plus, i think uncovered pickups on a natural body just looks stunning ... am I the only one??
    Before and after shots for ya..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now I'm waiting for a pair of zebra WCR Shredders I managed to snag for my BM. Can't wait....

4. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

+2.
    That's how I feel about my Seth's. It's totally inspired me to play a lot more than I was. I had let my two main guitars (ah, who am I kidding; my only two guitars) get a little tattered in the tone area. One needed new pickups and the other just needed some soldering. Now they both sound fantastic and I couldn't be happier. I almost traded in an amp before I realized what the real problems were. Now I'm getting the kind of guitar tone that I thought I would have cost me thousands more.
    BTW, I was inclined to disagree on the uncovered pickups, but then I gave it some thought. I love the covered look, but I do also love black pickups with creme-colored surrounds (bezels, whatever). What I hate is zebra pickups. It's half the reason I changed mine.
    I used to think I wanted a '59 PAF sound, but I realized (through good-sounding demos I might add) that I was really looking for the alnico ll sound of a '57 PAF. Definitely much more my thing. Fat and warm, yet clear and bright.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  5. Wallace

Wallace Silver Supporting Member

Jim's pups do sound great! I have a recently restored '75 LP Custom (new frets and pups) which was dead to me for years. We yanked the stock pups and installed a Darkburst in the neck and a Goodwood a2 in the bridge. Put the old gold covers back on and now.....it gets played alot. Randy Rhoads slammin fantastic tone! I may try a Darkburst a5 in the bridge but it sounds so good I cant justify spending the time doing the switch!

Other WCR's:
    Baker Crucible DB a5 neck, Goodwood a2 bridge.....perfect

Fender esquire...OK its the pink Hello Kitty my girlfriend gave me as wall art.....Darkbust, and yes, I have and will gig with it...chicks dig it. WTF!

I have a pair of Fillmores which came in the Baker and I'll put em in a SG when I find one with a chunky neck I like . Fillmores dont get talked about that much but they are fantastic too. These had to be made in '02 just before Wags and his awesome pups went GLOABAL. Cool guy too!:BEER

W

6. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

WCR is o-tay!! No butta me, banky?

7. Fixxxer

Fixxxer Member

I'll tell you guys what, you play your good woods / Godwoods or whatever the hell they are called, but his best kept secret are the Iron Man's. Don't let the name fool you, they can do allot well and are girthy animals..

8. otaypanky

Gang Twanger -"no butta me, banky?" Translation please LOL

It's obvious from some of the comments posted here that everbody that has tried WCR hardware is thrilled. :bow
    Maybe Jim can put together a sampler pack like the boutique breweries do, so you can find your favorites!
    Did you guys install his wiring kit as well?

9. Fixxxer

Fixxxer Member

Nope, I purchased the RS stuff. he didn't offer the kits when I was ordering stuff back in the day.

10. imschur

imschur Member

I love my Darkbursts and Crossroads in my 3 pup LP :bow

11. tonio19

tonio19 Member

I too have a Darkburst/Goodwood set which lives in my ES-339, and a set of Crossroads currently in-between guitars. And I love them both... But Jim's "BEST" kept secret are his single coils.
    His SR Set just transformed my old Strat. Well, ok, so it has a Full Callaham Vintage steel trem assy, and Michael Tuttle just did the full SS fret/bone nut/ finish strip... The Fret Works Supreme special.
    So it obviously plays like a dream, but Jim's SR Set are what make it sing.
    Now if we could just talk Jim into working up some P-90's....
    Thanks WCR.
    And thanks to Mr.Tuttle, and to Mr. Callaham as well.
    You guys are "All" the cream of the crop.
    Tony

12. brianf

brianf Member

I have Fillmores in an R7 and PRS. Brought my dead R7 back to life.

brianf

13. otaypanky

The Fret Works Special sounds great. I'd love to try playing something with stainless frets and see the difference. I didn't think Jim was still doing Strat pups