WCR Pickups Rule!!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by GAT, Mar 11, 2006.

1. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I ordered a Goodwoods bridage ( have one in my B1) and a Crossroads neck for my new R0 Gibson. Lordy, lordy!

I asked Jim about that combo and he uses it in his SG. I wanted a really fat bridge and a clear neck without mud, and this combo nailed it. The guitar came with '57s which seemed "spikey" in the high end. The Goodwood is so smooth and the mids are very complex.

I also installed an RS Guitarworks Historic kit, that also made a huge difference! RS and WCR got me my order in 3 days!! Great customer service. I'm gigging tonight with the LP and can hardly wait to hear it with my Marshall HW Plexi half stack:RoCkIn :dude :D

2. K-man

K-man Member

WCR are the best. Has anyone tried installing an RS kit without changing pickups? It seems like most people install the kit at the time they change pickups (which makes sense), but then how do you know if the RS kit makes a difference in tone or if its just the new pickups?

3. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

I just put a Crossroads Neck and Fillmore Bridge in my PRS Singlecut Trem.

At first, I thought the Crossroads a bit muddy, but after some adjustments, I'm very pleased. Particularly clean, and the split is wonderful. The Fillmore in the bridge is fantastic. Thats usually where I live anyway, particularly in overdrive, and it did NOT dissapoint.

Now, this is on stock PRS parts, I did order the RS kit as well, at Jim's recommendation, So I'll report back on the improvement once it's here, and installed.

4. Joe Boy

Joe Boy Member

I have Goodwoods in one of my Les Pauls and can't belive how great they sound.
    I played mine against an stock 05 R0, and although the R0 was lighter and alot nicer on the eyes..the magic was in the Woods.

That bridge pup is the one. Blend it with the neck and you have a world of tone on tap.

Great stuff from a great guy.
    :BEER

5. retrospex

retrospex Member

I totally agree with the conclusions here. WCR RULES..The RS Kits are great too. I am considering putting a kit in my EPI Elitist keeping the stock pups. I'll report when I do.

6. GAT

I'm probably going to upgrade my Johnny A., but I nned to find a great repairman to do it, the working area is very cramped. I'm thinking a CR neck and a Fillmore or Goodwood bridge.

I played the Les Paul last night at a gig. What a great tone. Very singing, soaring tone, even when just slightly overdirven. I was using a Marshall Plexi half stack and the tone killed. Many, many compliments on the guitar tones last night. There were quite a few players in the audience. The tone knob now has a lot of good range. I put the bridge tone knob barely cutting the highs and it really smooths things out. The middle position is so organic and just varying the neck volume gave incredible shades of tones.

Surprisingly, the Les Paul really stayed in tune too!

7. Mac Daddy 355

Mac Daddy 355 MilkBone Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I'm Glad you like my LP , finding a Guitar & pups that work well together is what its all about....a good amp helps too

8. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

WCR rules and Jim is the coolest!!!

RS kits in every time.

9. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Land of Enchantment/Entrapment. Depending on view
    Hi...I had a Hamer Mon.Elite w/ Goodwoods...Amazing..my 58 LP has 2 Darkbursts....even more amazing....and my Heatley Modern has Darkburst bridge, Xroads neck.....amazing...hi jim!!!

10. blrogers

blrogers Member

my new thorn has a crossroad/goodwood and im really digging it. the tone control is only on the bridge so the neck is nice and bright and clear all the time. the bridge pick up is the ****. still messing around with it but its really thick in the mids. not a lot of bass but thick. me likes.

B

11. GAT

Brad,

That guitar sings with the new pickups and plays incredible. I really love that axe!!! Thanks for letting me have it.