WCR recommendation needed here.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by kealiikai, Oct 2, 2005.

1. kealiikai

kealiikai Member

I`ve been dead set on getting the Herc set but after hearing a few killer clips of the Goodwood and reading reviews of the Darkburst and the Shredder I`m stuck here on deciding which one for me.

Pups are going into a mahagony body w/maple cap and ebony board/mahagony neck ( McNaght Single Cut ) This guitar then plugs into a Mesa Single Rectifier.

My style consist of TOOL style riffs, Satriani/Vai leads (in my dreams), licks like SRV & Eric Johnson and clean jazz styles like George Benson.

Anyone, please chime in and give me your opinions. BTW, I`m dead set on WCR. Oh yeah, current pups are SD JB b and Rio Grande Texas n.:dude

2. Non-Digital Tom

Non-Digital Tom Member

Well, I have the Crossroads set. They're the only ones I've heard, but I love 'em.

3. drjenkins

drjenkins Supporting Member

Email Jim @ WCR. He's extremely helpful in finding the right pickups for you. Very easy to talk to...bit of a kook, but cool :D

Dave

4. kealiikai

kealiikai Member

We`ve been swapping a couple of emails. He wants to wait and see what the bunch here has to say. Also, I heard a few killer clips of the Shredder so now that is a possible selection. Not to mention I already use the JB and happen to like it.:dude

5. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

i think you might like the darkbursts or goodwoods the best. i really adore my darkbursts. they sound really great through a high gain amp. they retain a lot of openess with heavy distortion.

6. drjenkins

He's just being lazy!!:D

I have a mismatched set that I love. Its got a Fillmore in the bridge and a Crossroads in the neck. The Fillmore has a bit of a bright high end to me, and the other frequencies are pretty balanced across the board. Now mind you, Ive been using an Engl Savage head and a Splawn Pro Mod to play it through, so they're pretty gainy amps and tend to accentuate the higher tones.

The Crossroads neck is beautiful. Just a nice, warm, articulate pickup. Exactly what I wanted a neck pickup to be, fat but not muddy. Jazz is no problem with this one, and if you split it, you can get great bluesy single coil sounds.

I have both of these tapped, and the tapped sounds are the best Ive ever heard, period. So i would highly suggest you tap them if you can, just so many good sounds to toy with then.

The Fillmores can do all the types of music you're talking about. It just all depends on how much gain you want your pickup to be responsible for. Ive noticed the Fillmores arent as hot as my PRS HFS pickups, which used to be my favorites, but they are clearer to my ears by far. Either way, every one of Jim's pickups Ive heard, is articulate as hell. So if you play sloppy, you hear it.

Hope this helps some!

Dave

7. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

My recommendation is to give Jim a call. That's what I did. :)

8. Jim Wagner Pickups

Jim Wagner Pickups Member

Oh thanx guys, thanx alot, thanx. hahahaha I said he should see what some of YOU users think, and you mostly all think he should ask me ! Right back where he started. lolol Yer gonna give the poor guy a headache!
    Thanx alot. Thanx again. Thanx.......:p

9. kealiikai

kealiikai Member

Yeah, pass the Tylenol:rolleyes:

10. jcshirke

jcshirke Silver Supporting Member

I admit I had never heard of these pickups before. It looks like he doesn't offer single coils? Just checkin'.

I'm a big Lindy Fralin fan, but I'm always interested in hearing about other options.

Thanks,

Jeff

11. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

In that case, I think he should buy/try 'em all and then he'll know exactly what he likes best. :D

...and then he can tell me. ;)

12. drjenkins

We just want you to feel needed...especially with the copious amounts of free time you have. :D

Dave

13. kealiikai

kealiikai Member

Unfortunately for you he does, it`s the SR:dude Don`t ask me about them, start your own thread. lol I`m still trying to squeeze some answers here and as you can see I`m getting nowhere:rolleyes:

So salude:BEER :D :D :D :D

14. Legend

Legend Member

Unfortunately he doesn't, the SR's have been out of production for months. I wanted a set realllly bad but waited too long to pull the trigger :(

15. kealiikai

kealiikai Member

Ok then, hate to be you:D