1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

WCR telecaster pickups

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by oscar100, Mar 15, 2006.

1. oscar100

oscar100 Member

i just got some of the roy buchanon tele winds from jim for my exceptionally resonant suhr T

it sounded great as it was but i reckoned that some wagner mojo coul dbe even better

now jim charges alot for his pickups so i was determined to be savage in my assessment of them - really nitpicky.....

well i have to say that as much as i tried to find fault i was just blown away - amazing!

with jim's pickups - its almost like having a tone control that goes to 13

all his pickups have an extra presence and dimension that lift them out of the mix and make them incredibly articulate to play - just stunning

so in go teh obligatory RS guitar works wiring harnesses that i have in all my guitars

on teh suht T - I replaced teh broadcaster and fat T neck with wcr buchanons

result - ive always liked teh suhrs - rich fat and shiny. at first i thought the wcr's were a bit thin then this incredible richness and bell like clarity appeared as i tweaked the p/u heights....wcr's are v responsive to where they are set - always play around

i went back to the other suhr T - my beloved suhr p/u's now sounded flatulent, obese, in your face and just plain wrong afetr hearing teh wcr's - i'm ruined!!!!! i get cut sparkle girth - teh neck pickup is teh most useable ever - almost strat like when full up going thru fat as your turn down the tone to danny gatton jazz

example - i replaced teh 1998 gibson pafs with goodwoods in my 1998 8 1/2 lb LP

result - if i turn teh tone knob down to 6/7 i get a much better version of teh original gibson tone then as i turn the tone up if get more spit, shimmer, fire and of course it interacts with teh vol pot in a way that normal pickups dont - v subtle and just a joy to play

and split they are amazing giving me clean tones that you would never believe come from a LP

example - PRS braz ltd ed mccarty

now i hate PRS - ive owned many and always let them go - p/u's stink ( IMHO) - this one i got cos of teh neck and amazing top

well blow me - teh previous clever owner had fitted darkbursts and teh RS PRS wiring kit

result - what a difference ...really punchy rich full , lots of overtones and amazing split sopunds ( again somethin gi dont think prs does well) ...great for modern rock, studio sounds etc - its a keeper

various thorns - fillmore/ crossroads custom winds - every thorn should have WCR's - thats it ...teh perfect combo

so - hats off to jim wagner master pickup guru - just amazing and worth every penny

just as an aside i chatted to jim last nite about getting a different wind....this morning i got an email to say they were done to my spec

you dont get better or faster customer service than that!

2. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Administrator Staff Member

:AOK

While I have never heard WCR Tele pickups (!!) I am utterly and completely WCR fitted here with SR's/Fillmore's/Goodwood's/Darkburst's here and 100% satisfied. Been 2 years now with WCR in my guitars.... and that's the way all my guitars will be from now on. I've paid full price for 'em; and they've been worth *every* penny.

3. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Supporting Member

i got 1.5 sets of wcrs coming. my main 2 guitars are a tele and a prs santana brazilian. the santana is getting.....black magic pickups. i also got a used darkburst bridge coming. if they live up to the hype, id love to track down a set of tele pickups as well as im not totally happy with the pickups in there but love the guitar.

4. DiazDude

DiazDude Member

I've got DarkBursts in my R8 LP, Good Woods in my Rossington SG & SR's in my SRV Strat (all w/RS guts).

:RoCkIn WCR'S RULE!!:RoCkIn

Thank You

5. m4tt

m4tt Member

How are the WCR tele pups for all-around rock application?

6. jw71

jw71 Member

I've got a DB bridge and a CR neck in my SG Standard. Great pickups.

7. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

I didn't see any mention of Tele pickups on the WCR website

8. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

I have WCR's in everything! I can afford!! Fillmore's in my SG...AMAZING..Darkbursts in my Heatley Modern and Red 58 LP Historic..Had Goodwoods in a Hamer Monaco Elite I traded for the H.. another amazing sounding guitar...a Suhr Tele w/ Roy Buchanans??? HHHUUUUMMMMMM

9. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Supporting Member

i dont think he makes them as an "in stock" item. they are more as a made to order. Send him an email, im sure he can tell you about it.

10. jcshirke

jcshirke Member

Which set of WCR Tele pickups do you recommend most? Jim says he makes one set, the Broadcaster set, that is twangier. His 60s set is fat and warm--almost humbucker-like. Does anyone have some clips of either set they could post?

Thanks.