WCR's for my LP?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by BobbyRay, Oct 11, 2005.

1. BobbyRay

BobbyRay Supporting Member

I'm thinking about either Goodwoods or Fillmores. I don't want it to be too bright in the bridge but with good output. I found the original "Burstbuckers" to be too bland. I currently have Seymour Duncan Jazz in the neck, and JB in the bridge. Not real thrilled there either. They're cool, but somehow not right. The JB has no bottom, and lot's of mids. There are highs there, but instead of adding sparkle they seem just harsh.

I don't know how to say this without sounding like a corksniffer, but I want more wood and girth without sounding congested. I need it to clean up nice with the volume pot, but still with strong output to drive my amp hard. I'm using a Tweed Twin RI, and I run it pretty freakin' hot. I get enough drive with the Duncans, just not satisfied tonally.

So there it is. I need about the same output I have now, and want woody tone. WCR's...Are they right for me? If so which pair do ya think?

Thanks,
    Bobby

2. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

I think both are great pups. The Fillmores are wound hotter and push the amp a little harder than the Goodwoods. I hear they are great split and are very versatile pups.

The Goodwoods are really fat sounding and will turn a bright guitar into a tone monster. Both clean up great with the with volume pot adjustments.

In your words" wood and girth" I'm thinking Goodwoods, but I wouldn't eliminate Fillmores without some more input.

3. Cybercat

Cybercat Member

What Paintguy said, +1.

- but BobbyRay, you should prolly talk to Jim Wagner himself about it.

I've always found him very friendly & chatty, & IMHO he'd be the best person to steer you in the right direction.

Why not give him a ring : - 209-588-0621

Good luck!

4. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

Get an RS kit too, that will help unclog the guitar.

WCR's rock, Jim is the man!

5. JoeYello

JoeYello Member

I have 2 sets of Darkbursts and love them. Haven't tried any of the others.

The Darkbursts sound like what you are looking for. The bridge pickup may not be as hot as what you want but it does sound great and retains its character with pedals.

6. BobbyRay

Thanks for the responses guys.

What's the RS kit?

I was thinking of feeling you guys out first on the subject to see if I was on the right track before calling.

I am usually without an OD pedal in my rig, and just drive the amp hard. So out put needs to be there to a point. Not playing thrash or hard rock really, but still like to make it sing. You know.

Thanks again, and I'll probably end up calling. Still if anyone else has opinions, jump on in.

7. TechpriesT

TechpriesT Member

RS guitarworks do a google search, their electronics upgrade kits are primo!

8. Mr.Hanky

Call these guys first... http://www.rsguitarworks.net/catalog/index.php?cPath=31&osCsid=f3cc0c1483bbe3f28399a3924ba2b94d

Actually that kit should go in first, otherwise you are going bass ackwards.

I did both the RS kit and WCR's in my R7 and there is no going back.
    I have done side by side comparisons with a friends R7 and R8 and there is no comparison. They sound congested and it is VERY obvious, especially the neck pup.

9. BobbyRay

I just went to the RS website.

My guitar is a newer, 2001, Standard. Am I reading this right? I would want the production kit with the longer shafts? Also, which version are you guys thinking...treble tamer, true tone...?

10. HeeBGB

HeeBGB Member

I second Hanky's recomendation. The RS wiring kit is a must for the woody tone you seek. I put it in my 2000 LP classic that I sold a few months back. I just bought a 99 R7 (the one Hanky was referring to in his post) I put a Darkburst in the bridge and a Goodwood in the neck. A major improvement from the Gibson 57's but not all the way there yet. I ordered my RS kit from Roy today.

BobbyRay-Call them and ask what they think. I was on the phone with Roy today for 20 minutes discussing options. They are REALLY nice and will usually take the time to listen to what your looking for and make suggestions.

Greg

11. BobbyRay

OK...I think I'm on it now...Premium prewired production trutone kit. For $4.00 have it prewired...seems like a no brainer.

Then go back to the Burstbuckers? And save for the WCR's of choice?

12. BobbyRay

Thanks HeeBGB,

I should just call tomorrow, and find out as much as I can. Just trying to get an idea ahead of time. So I have some clue when I talk to them.

Thanks Again guys...Stuff I would have never known about.

13. Mr.Hanky

Yeah, do the RS first for sure, that is a Les Paul enema.

Call them and ask, better to do that then get the wrong kit.

The WCR's are really nice, I had DB's but replaced the bridge for a goodwood.
    Jim's humbuckers are hard to beat, there is no better, just different.

14. Erik

Erik Member

I third Mr. Hanky's advice. The RS kit will open up the guitar and expose any flaws or strengths it has tonally.

15. papersoul

papersoul Member

The best I have tried in my LP Standard is the stock Burstbucker Pros if you want vintage with good bite, the WCR Goodwoods if you want fatter, bigger and smoother, WCR Shredder if you want thick and even sounding but it has a ton of output (keep that in mind), and the Rio Grande BBQ which is thick and full and medium output. All would be good but it depends on your ears.

The Duncan C-5 is also an awesome pickup of choice. A buddy of mine chose that over all the boutique stuff he tried. You never know. All of the above and recommendations of others are great but just starting points. You may like something different than any of us.

A 300k volume pot works best in my LP for the bridge volume so keep that in mind when ordering the kit.

The Fillmore bridge was too bright in MY LP, but it may be fine in your LP. It works much better in my McCarty.

I really like the Goodwood because it will do vintage tones but can do high gain metal all tay if you ask. :)

Jim is cool - call him.