WCR's in a McCarty - RS Black Magic or Goodwoods

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jayhawk, Jul 9, 2006.

1. jayhawk

jayhawk Member

Has anyone tried the Black Magics? They are designed for PRS's but I'm not really sure what that means tone-wise. Are they hard rock pickups? Santana-esq? :confused:

I'd like something that has solid clear bass, something that doesn't get sloppy. I've heard some people use the Goodwoods in McCartys because it fills out the bass where McCartys tend to be a bit lacking.

I'm an ABB and David Grissom fan so Fillmores might be the logical choice but I read a post somewhere that they were light in the bass in a McCarty.

2. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I have been debating which WCR pickups would be the most appropriate for my McCarty Rosewood. The Fillmore, Crossroads and Goodwood all seem to be in a vaguely similar vein, probably all of 'em sound great. Good thing I can't afford any of them at the moment...

3. Frethog

Frethog Member

I've been reading everything in sight about these pickups for my Cu24 and I guess just can't decide what I want that guitar for. I know I'm flat tired of the HFS in the bridge, so I want something that sounds good without a ton of gain.

Zackley.

4. jayhawk

jayhawk Member

5. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I've had both sets in my McCarty, i ended up prefering the stock McCarty's! WCR's are nice but they almost seemed to flat in the tone department for me!

If I were to replace the pups in my McCarty I would go with the Seymour Duncan 59n/Custom 5!

6. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

i have them in a santana brazilian (the black magics). To me they aren't modern rock. very vintagy. kinda what i expect a great les paul to sound like but a little different. great pickups. very smooth and even. i like them a lot more than the stock prs pickups.

7. ccoker

ccoker Supporting Member

i have the goodwood in the bridge of my Ce22
    love it
    think of it as just a bit hotter than a PAF, more lowend, smooth, clear open topend, no honk mids

good stuff

8. jayhawk

jayhawk Member

Thanks for the input, guys.

That description has got me salivating. :)

9. that_brianm_guy

that_brianm_guy Gold Supporting Member

I've got a Darkburst in the neck of my McCarty, and a Goodwood bridge on the way.

I installed the Darkburst, and just.. WOW.

The neck pickup was filet mignon, and the stock bridge was McDonalds.

So I ordered the Goodwood for the bridge, and am eagerly anticipating its arrival!

The Darkburst has the thickness of an overwound pickup, with the clarity and string definition of an underwound pickup. Most definitely a very vintagey sound - it reminded me of Duane on Mountain Jam.

In your case.. a split set? Black Magic in the neck, Goodwood in the bridge?

Truthfully, the tone will be tremendous, regardless of which pickups you choose.

Touch base with Jim if you have questions - I'm sure he can help you sort it all out. Excellent customer service!

/brian

10. ccoker

ccoker Supporting Member