WCR's in a PRS Cu 22

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by trixterq, Oct 24, 2008.

1. trixterq

trixterq Member

I recently traded for a really nice Cu 22 that looks brand new. Unfortunately, with the stock Dragons it has installed, the guitar to me sounds fairly lifeless compared to my Cu 24, 513 and my Suhr. I have been reading a lot lately about WCr's--the Darkbursts, the Crossroads, the Godwoods anfd the various combos, all of which get glowing reviews. Any advice from anyone on what they would recommend? I like to play mainly rock and blues--Clapton, ZZ, Jimmie Vaughan, Warren Haynes, Allman Bros style of music.

2. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

I would go with Darkbursts. I have a set in one of my CU22s that I changed over to McCarty switching. I love them.

3. Bluesbuff

Bluesbuff Member

You will love the darkbursts, I have them in a Carvin CT4 (PRS-like) guitar, mahogany/maple, ebony fingerboard. It's a pretty bright guitar on it's own. The Darkbursts brought it to life, perfect for my blues/rock band.

4. trixterq

trixterq Member

How about the cossroads/darkburst combop or the darkburst /godwood combo?

Any thoughts?

5. atomicmassunit

atomicmassunit Member

I tried the Goodwoods and didn't like them as much as the Dragon IIs. Lollar Imperials and Tom Holmes both sounded great.

6. trixterq

trixterq Member

I dont know much about the imperials or the Holmes

7. bforest4

bforest4 Supporting Member

Don't forget the Fillmore's, hot, yet smooth and clear, get them if the guitar sounds dark or muddy. Goodwoods have more of a mid bump, very cool, especially if your guitar sounds thin right now.

8. Dearthian

Dearthian Member

I've heard the Darkbursts in a friend's CU22 and they sound really good (especially the neck).
    I have a Godwood/Darkburst in my Singlecut and they sound awesome (I really like the Godwood in the bridge).

9. Fixxxer

Fixxxer Member

The Godwood bridge is a great pickup, very hard to beat. The darkbursts are great as well, and were the first set I bought from Jim. I'd never think of taking them out for anything. I have them wired for out of phase in the middle and they convert to single cuts with a push pull. Most versatile guitar I own.

Good luck, you really can't go wrong.

10. Macman

Macman Member

I have a set of DB neck/GW Bridge in my Hollowbody 1. Granted its not exactly a CU22 which I used to own, but in the HB1, it sounded much clearer, more punch and balanced than the stock McATs and PRS #10s I had in them previously. The single coil tones really shine in the neck positions. I had mine wired to a mini toggle that does inner/full hum/outer coils to get me into Thinline Strat/Tele type ballparks. Very nice and the single coils do sound very strat like imho. Does make the guitar pop out notes better in my opinion.

Many have also said that they think the Shredders are great. I have a set in my Brian Moore CP90 and they do sound killer (its a 25.5 scale btw). Clear as a bell when you roll the volume down and full of attitude when full up. Single coil tones are great and the low mids do pop out quite a bit more when was what I was looking for. Really blessed to have found a set since they are rare and Jim doesn't make them anymore.

Was talking to Jim about possibly another set of pickups and he suggested a set of Iron Mans for the PRS. Yes they are hot but knowing Jim, they will clean up good when you roll the volume down.

Some Pics for ya...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Steve Dallas

One comment about the WCRs that you need to consider. They are only lightly potted, so they tend to feed back if you play with a lot of gain or medium gain at very high volumes. They way they are potted contributes a lot to their sound, but you should be aware of the fact before you buy.

12. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

Are you sure? I use high gain most of time and never once had one feedback problem with the numerous Wcr's I have.:confused:

13. Steve Dallas

I recall Jim explaining this to me once upon a time. My PRS with DarkBursts does give me feedback headaches, whereas my PRS Dragon IIs does not. I could check into doing some extra shielding and see if that helps.

14. boogieman90

boogieman90 Member

Jim's a great guy. Consult with him first about your desired tone, axe, and style of music, etc. He steered me to his "Billy Buckers" for my LP. Great improvement over stock pups. These are not listed on his site yet, but incredible tone/sound upgrade!

15. trixterq

trixterq Member

I also have heard that with my PRS Cu22, given it has a five position switch, I am going to have to use the 4 conductors, switch one of the magnets and possibly change out the caps to get the 5 positions to work properly and to get the full effect of the WCRs on my PRS. Is this true, and is there anything else you can foresee me having to do? Or something alternate you would recommend short of putting in another small toggle switch?

Ron

16. Jim Wagner Pickups

Jim Wagner Pickups Member

Usually, the only time there has been a feedback issue is when covers are used, and not installed by me.
    As an example, I went to see Iced Earth in SF the other night. Mostly all IceBuckers both covered and open. It was the LOUDEST concert I can even remember. I actually for the 1st time ever had to use earplugs half-way through it !! lol
    But not even one single squeal the whole show and that is some extreme high-gain stuff Jon uses. I do NOT use wax (huge tone-killer in my book), I have my own material I came up with that works a lot better which still allows the resonations of the axe itself come through and won't suppress the character of that individual guitar..
    Other things can cause that as well. The axe may be SO resonant that the entire pickup will "shiver" ( you can actually see it move) and not just a bad coil or improperly installed cover. In that case I have found using surgical tubing instead of springs helps alot. Also, I have had more then 1 tube do that to me as well. When the axe would start squealling, I grabbed the tubes one at a time and when I found the culprit, it would stop shrieking.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
  17. Steve Dallas

Word from the man himself! Thanks for chiming in!

Mine are in fact covered. I'll try pulling the covers off to see if it helps. Everything is dead silent until I plug into a high gain amp like my Soldano or one of my brutal homebrews. Then things start to squeal.

The Fillmores I had in my LP did the same thing. They were also covered. Man. I miss those pups. Just never could bond with the guitar. My Crossroads don't do it (also covered). Dunno. Could be a combination of the covers and the particular guitar.

Do you realize that out of 9 guitars, 5 have WCR pups? Hmmm...

Last edited: Oct 25, 2008
  18. trixterq

trixterq Member

Jim, I am thrilled that you added to the thread. I have been studying your website and listening to the soundclips. I love the Crossroads set, but wonder if I will get a fuller sound with the crossroads/darkburst set (no soundclips on this or the darkburst/godwoodcombo that I could find . As I wrote earlier, I have read that with guitars such as my PRS Cu22, i will need the 4 lead version, PLUS, I may have to do some special things, i.e. special wiring, flipping magnets etc to ensure that I can still use the five position switch on my guitar. i have also heard that I may need to put in new caps etc, to really realize the full sound and effect of the WCr's. Can you please shed a little light on this. I would be happy to speak with you directly during the week sometime, but right now, I would like to have a bit more info, if you have the time.

Thanks,
    Ron

19. Jim Wagner Pickups

Jim Wagner Pickups Member

What can I say Brutha, you have great taste !!! lol Yeah, if I put the covers on, there is usually no problem. In fact, it is EASY for anyone to do it themselves. I have had a good amount of guys tell me they squeal, and turns out they did the covers themselves without knowing the "trick." I thought I had invented that, but my Florida Lab Rat told me Clapton's tech does the same thing...... Damn...!!!
    I really need to try some of your amps. Let me know if you are going to be at NAMM, or the Greensboro Jam, or the LA AmpShow next year... etc. I myself really like high gain amps. Can't play worth a damn, but it's fun anyhow hahaha
    I heard it helps to move away from the amp.......( hey, you KNOW I gotta give ya a jab or two.... lol)

Ron !
    I'll tell ya what. By FAR the biggest seller I have is the American Steele set. Covers a HUGE range, used my Marshall Tucker, Buckcherry, Iced Earth, etc. Crossroads neck, Godwood bridge.
    And I TRY to convince everyone that if you are putting in some high-quality pickups, what the hell are you doing leaving the stock electronics in there?
    If you read this post-thread, it will give you a good idea I think.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=456292

Yes, for a 5 position you will want to get a coupla 4 conductors, one for each pickup. I have the perfect match in pots and caps on my site, and you only have to ask if you have any questions at all. I am almost ALWAYS in the shop, so calling me is never a problem. I also usually get right back to anyone leaving messages. I am NOT one of those guys that will leave anyone hanging. At least not on purpose.......hahahaha
    I really can't do any selling here, just offer help, so I hope I didn't piss anyone off...... ;-)

If you want, I can build with the magnets installed opposite. Or, you can just do it yourself if you prefer. The way that I build these, it only takes a few minutes to do, and usually without un-soldering anything.

And, as far as clips for combos, you can usually hear something from either the neck or bridge pups by going to the correct section. For example, the American Steele. Go to Crossroads for the neck, and go to Godwoods for the bridge.

Man, you guys caught me on a rare day... I thought I'd relax some today for a change, but noooooooo............:rotflmao

20. Steve Dallas

Hey Jim. While you're here, let's make sure I have these wired right since your color scheme is a little different IIRC.

This is a set of DarkBursts with 4 conductor wiring. I bought the PRS wiring kit from RS with a 3 way switch and coil tap on the tone control.

I have the greens and shields going to ground, the blacks going to the 3 way switch, and the reds and whites going to the coil tap switch, where they are switched to ground.

Is this right?

Also, what is the trick for installing covers? I put the cover on each pickup and used a Quick Clamp to hold it together tightly while I put a bead of solder on each side.

Is there a better way to do it? I'm all ears! I really want to keep the covers on because the guitar looks so damn cool that way...

Do you think there is any value in shielding the pickup cavities with tape and running a ground wire back to the main control cavity?