• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

We owe the Monkees an apology!

whats you guys' favorite partridge family album? bonnaducci is my favorite whatever he did person, really special whatever he was playing- i want to say he played a triangle? or that wooden block scratchy thing?

A-Bone

Montonero, MOY, Multitudes
Platinum Supporting Member
whats you guys' favorite partridge family album? bonnaducci is my favorite whatever he did person, really special whatever he was playing- i want to say he played a triangle? or that wooden block scratchy thing?
Danny Partridge was the bassist. We can laugh about it, but talk to Stu Hamm (another once pudgy kid, ginger bassist). I mean, have you ever tried playing Partridge Family tunes using Danny's technique? He could play all these different notes, often without shifting his fretboard hand position at all.

Danny Partridge was the bassist. We can laugh about it, but talk to Stu Hamm (another once pudgy kid, ginger bassist). I mean, have you ever tried playing Partridge Family tunes using Danny's technique? He could play all these different notes, often without shifting his fretboard hand position at all.
exactly.

griggsterr

Silver Supporting Member
I never had a problem with the Monkees. I'm sure they were more bothered about studio musicians playing on their albums than I. I'm sure the producer made those decisions.

I guess Randy California must have played that solo. ;) Seriously, nobody sounds quite like Page. It was obviously his solo because it sounds exactly like a Page solo, just a bit tighter than some of them. He's often in slurry mode when he plays lead, weaving in and out of time.

You could more easily make the case that Bert Jansch played the guitar on, "Black Mountain Side," but no, that was Page on that song as well. That song is partly Al Stewart's fault. He learned, "Down by Blackwaterside," watching Jansch play live. Later, he taught it to Page when Jimmy worked as a session player on Stewart's first album.

Joe should not feel ashamed. He wrote and played plenty of iconic riffs on Aerosmith records. Plenty of solos on many songs were played by Joe and even a few by Brad Whitford. Joe and Brad just did not play all the solos. For example, two different studio guitarists played the solos on, "Train Kept A Rollin'," Dick Wagner and Steve Hunter. Wagner played the much later solo. Hunter played the opening solo. That was the co-producer's call. The practice of 'ghosting' was very common then, so neither player got a credit, but they were paid for their time. Joe and the rest of the band were probably told to keep quiet about it.
Even then especially in those days they had NDA's that they signed Non Disclosure agreements. And keeping their names off the records ensures that they are not owed royalties.

db9091

I'm shocked. SHOCKED. That Bing Crosby did overdubs. Why did no one tell us?!?

And Bob Dylan was wrong: Enrico Caruso did NOT hit "all the notes"

coltranemi2012

Silver Supporting Member
You can hear Hunter and Wagner playing on much more than just Train on GYW IMO. But I can’t prove it of course. The leads especially sound differently phrased that any of their other albums. I think they at least played leads on SOS, Same Old Song, Seasons of Wither
Probably because you are hearing brad Whitford playing the leads...same old song and train were the only 2

natebernstein

Funny, my bandmate recently suggested we cover a Monkees song that I'd never heard of. And I liked it. No idea who wrote it, or who played on the recording. But I liked it.

Trending Topics