Weak Harmonics

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by bleomonkey, Aug 18, 2008.

1. bleomonkey

bleomonkey Member

On my new american vintage 62 reissue strat, the 12th fret harmonics are very weak and the 5th fret harmonics are barely audible. These harmonics sound fine on my squier. Is there something wrong?

Thanks

2. THebert

THebert Member

I have noticed a difference between guitars as well. I wonder if it is something to do with the guitar itself or is it something with the set up. I don't know the answer but I am curious as well.

3. trisonic

trisonic Member

Are the strings corroded? Do they look off colour?

Try changing the strings before doing anything else more drastic. If the guitar has been hanging on the wall of a store being played by every dweeb that went in there; that is probably the answer.

Best, Pete.

4. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Every guitar is different. Could just be the wood absorbing the higher frequencies. Try an EJ strat, with that big maple, 1/4 sawn neck there are tons of harmonics. It's that wood really brings them out. Very few strats get nice harmonics on the 5th fret, especially with the neck pickup on, or so I've read. But the strats that drip with harmonics still can chime out those fifth fret harmonics even when on the neck pickup. Those are the sweet ones that always cut through the mix too. They can tear your head off too.

It could be something like the pickup is too high and magnetism interfering or something weird. Easy to try.

5. tjmicsak

tjmicsak Member

Keep in mind that the different harmonics create dead zones on the strings in different places. An example would be that a magnetic pickup at the 12th fret would hear nothing because the string literally does not move there when a 12th fret harmonic is played. So are the pickups in the same placement? Make sure you have both with the pickups set the same, replace both with the same strings, and adjust the pickups and poles to match. Did you put larger gauge strings on than the nut was cut for/ the guitar came with that might dampen the resonance? Do they have the same bridge or equal trem block mass?

6. bleomonkey

bleomonkey Member

The strings are brand new and so is the guitar. Does anyone think it might be the action and string guage?

7. SteveSchu

SteveSchu Member

Try adjusting the intonation.

8. bleomonkey

bleomonkey Member

That's what I was thinking might be a problem.

9. Chris Rice

Chris Rice Member

Are you on the neck pickup? Try it on all 5 settings.

10. TaZMaNiO

TaZMaNiO Senior Member

Maybe some dead wood?

11. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Chris is right - the neck pickup on a Strat isn't in a "nodal" locus, so you won't hear open string harmonics well on the neck pickup on ANY STRAT.

Try the bridge pickup alone. Better yet, chime the harmonic on open strings with the neck pickup selected, then switch to the bridge as it rings - you'll be surprised at how the volume goes up when you select the bridge pickup.

Good Luck, Dana O.

12. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

Beat me to it.