• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Weak reverb from my Fender '63 reissue reverb tank

Rufer

For some time I have been having some trouble with my Fender ’63 Reissue Reverb tank. I’m getting a pretty weak mix of wet to dry signal. That is, even with the controls cranked up I’m getting a strong dry signal but you can only hear a bit of reverb decay – about that of an amp’s reverb ¼ way. The brake is off.

It started shortly after I swapped out the 250k snap-in mix pot after long-time scratchiness finally lead to no signal. Worked fine for a short while then the problem I described above started. I’ve tried various combinations of tube changes with known good tubes.

The other pots were scratchy so today, I swapped those out but that didn’t help. I even put another new mix pot in there. After I changed the pots today it did not seem to do the trick.

Out of frustration a few hours later, I fired it back up and what-do-you-know, it was back in action! The only thing I noticed though was that when I had my guitar on 10, it would drive the input too hard and very harsh clipping would occur. As I was testing the limits of this harsh clipping, it popped back down into the problem described above – the harsh clipping was gone but I was back to weak reverb.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Blue Strat

It started shortly after I swapped out the 250k snap-in mix pot after long-time scratchiness finally lead to no signal.
When something suddenly stops working after you change something, the first thing to suspect is whatever you just changed.

Rufer

Thanks for both your ideas. I actually did reflow a lot of the joints. Don't think I hit them all though.

I really should have mentioned that I ran the unit's electronics through my amp's tank and cables with similar results.

Someone on another board who had a similar problem suggested it might be the reverb driver transformer which did the trick for him. I went ahead and ordered a new one. Hopefully that will do the trick.

Rufer

When something suddenly stops working after you change something, the first thing to suspect is whatever you just changed.
Ha! Yeah, totally possible. Which is why I changed that same pot a second time. Used the correct value pot both times and it's a dead simple snap-in pot. That said, I wouldn't put it past me to have screwed something up in the process although it didn't happen suddenly.

I see you're relatively local. Do you do this type of work if the reverb driver transformer is NOT the culprit?

Blue Strat

Why would you suspect something that was working before the pot change? :huh

I DO this kind of work, not usually on reissue stuff though (the reissue amps are very time consuming to work on due to the construction methods used). If you need help and send me a photo of the guts I can let you know if I'd work on it.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom