Weak sounding acoustic

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by mikenov, Jun 16, 2008.

1. mikenov

mikenov Member

I have been plugging my acoustic through the PA and there are a couple of issues with this.
    1) the high strings seem really weak
    2) its hard to get a monitor level that won't feedback and then I can't hear my vocals when we switch to electric.
    Besides the obvious answer of getting an acoustic amp, is there anything like a pre-amp or any other suggestions you have to help even out the signal on a passive mic'd acoustic.

2. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

feedback hole cover or buster(10$).
    LR Baggs ParaDI.
    A better saddle P/U or preamp(once again Baggs ParaDI).
    Did I say Baggs ParaDI ?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  3. mel

mel Member

If the pup is an undersaddle pickup , UST, remove the saddle and check that the bottom of the saddle is perfectly flat and that it has been sanded square so that the entire width and length of the bottom is pressing on the pup. what u describe suggests the bottom of the saddle is not flat.
    Also, check that the bottom edges of the saddle are not sharp, they should be rounded off slightly to stop the saddle digging in to the bridge slot sides.
    Mel

4. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Member

Why not tell us: make and model of guitar, make and model of pickup? I can't tell if you're using a pickup or a microphone. Are you using a DI box?

A passive pickup should be used with a good pre-amp. I use a Baggs Para-DI with both passive and active pickups, magnetic, UST, and UBT ... it works great with all of them. Notching out mid feedback is no problem. It has great EQ ability, and making your treble brighter would be simple. You'd be surprised at how you can shape your tone and still be quite "acoustic" to the listening ear.

Trying to mic an acoustic guitar in a band stage situation just won't be practical, and trying to make it work is an exercise in futility, as you've found out.

If the guitar doesn't have a pickup, I'd suggest a good magnetic soundhole pickup like the Baggs M1 Active. The most feedback resistant, and provides a nice hot signal to the board. Next would be a good under bridge transducer. Last (IMHO) is the ubiquitous under saddle transducer ... they are feedback resistant, but make the guitar sound too "quacky" for my liking.

5. solarbean

solarbean Supporting Member

+1 on the Baggs M1. BTW... the M1A is a bit more flexible.

Do you need to usea PA? I use an Ultrasound 50 watt guitar amp (AG50DS3) and it does a wonderful job handling the Baggs M1A and a Shure SM58 for Vocals. Those Ultrasounds cost less than 400 used.

6. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

i found the feedback buster really dulled the guitar, but i do use the baggs para di and it is brilliant, i can eq it and get the tone and balance i need. even if the guitar was crap.

but of course, since i got the guild, i dont need to eq it much at all!

7. in a little row

in a little row Member

I am running a Baggs m1a though aphex acoustic exciter to the PA or amp and hae great results with few feedback issues