Wear headphones are you guys using?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by skhan007, Dec 31, 2017.

1. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

I just got a Pocket Pod and have been using an old pair of Bose Quiet Comfort headphones, which are too bassy and likely not ideal for use with guitar modeling gear. Curious what you guys use and what's recommended?

2. Justin Hitchborn

Justin Hitchborn Supporting Member

According to Line 6's knowledge base, any set of headphones that match well with consumer electronics should be fine (ie don't get hiZ cans).

I used a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770s. Mine are 250 ohm, but they come in 80 and 32 ohm as well. They are closed back, which I need for monitoring while singing. The sound won't be quite as natural though. If that is a concern, and the people around you won't mind a bit of extra sound leaking out, an open back variety will probably sound better. I know AKG make a few at various price points.

ctreitzell likes this.
  3. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

4. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

Beyerdynamic DT-880

Imerkat likes this.
  5. voss451

voss451 Member

For the money, the Audio Technica AT-M30 set isn't all that bad. I used them for several years before I had enough money to upgrade to a pair of M50 headphones which sound phenomenal.

ctreitzell likes this.
  6. TimeSnow

TimeSnow Member

Custom made Hifiman he-560s with a Chord Mojo.

[​IMG]

ryandfl likes this.
  7. ctreitzell

ctreitzell Member

Me too, I have Beyer DT770 250 ohm. I don't know if there is a more comfortable headphone in temps under 30 Celsius, I love this Beyer design for comfort... But, When it is really hot, the ear pads can be like putting a wool sweater on. The deal breaker on the DT770 is the coiled "telephone" cable. I don't mind the coiled cable, although it can be a nuisance. When I bought the DT770 18 mos ago, I chose them over the Beyer T70 with Tesla Tech...There wasn't enough isolation with the T70 and there were other physical things I didn't like about the T70...I believe I did not even listen to any audio through the T70 because I was interested in isolation for recording on location. The T70 didn't wow me like I had hoped they might and so I chose the much less expensive DT770 (money was tight then). I had had to special order them and wait and circumstances changed plus I was low on time too.

The only time I monitor guitar through headphones is when tracking or looking for problems in a mix. When tracking or mixing you can have phones on for hours, so it's crucial they are comfortable. I did use a Rockman A LOT from 1987-1992 :)

I also have a couple of pairs of Beyer DT300 ear defender headphones that I use for location work recording film audio...I think they are 80 ohm. DT300 have fantastic isolation, but don't sound amazing (hi cut). These are great for listening in loud environments like using loud machines. I wear them when I vacuum the house. DT770 are not acceptable for outdoor field recording if there is a whisper of wind; air will blow right through the velour covered ear pads and you have no idea if the recording is ruined by wind noise.

Also, I was teaching a guy to do noise reduction a while back. I can't recall the brand of his headphones, but his phones had much better low end coverage than DT770; I thought my NR was done...but his headphones revealed low end unwanted noise that disappeared in the DT770. At least I learned a better test for the T70 to try ;-)

8. ctreitzell

ctreitzell Member

I used a pair of AT M40s until the vinyl peeled off from 1998 through 2008, comfortable, flat response headphones, IMO. The M50 are meant to be the best vfm headphone on the market IIRC

9. -Empire

-Empire Member

SRH940 and HD650. I use these with Helix which has a great headphone amp that can drive hiZ headphones.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  10. MusicLaw

MusicLaw Member

Sony MDR-V6, BeyerDynamics DT-770 (250 Ohm version), Shure SE530 IEMs.

11. Justin Hitchborn

Justin Hitchborn Supporting Member

I'll reiterate, that if you buy hiZ cans for use with your Pocket POD, you will be disappointed. Some of the models listed here will not work well with this device.

skhan007 and yeky83 like this.
  12. scott58

scott58 Member

I have AT M40s I think they're called (to lazy to get up and look right now). Really didn't care for them with my POD to much until I got a Bugera T5 to plug in between them and the POD. Best buck and a 1\2 headphone jack I ever bought.

13. Cool Hand Luke

Cool Hand Luke Member

I love my Beyerdynamic dt 150 for this. Very detailed and not harsh. I also have a pair of Beyerdynamic dt pro and while they are ok, they don't stack up to the 150 at all.

14. mastercaster

mastercaster Member

15. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

Superlux HD668B as well. Great for the money. But I'm highly considering a pair of DT770's.

16. Brandon7s

Brandon7s Silver Supporting Member

Sennheiser HD6XX, Sennheiser HD598, Hifiman HE-400i, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro/250 Ohms, ATH-M50S, Pinnacle P1s. I prefer my speakers (LSR308s and 305s) by far though. I think the HD6XX performs the best of the bunch when I have to use headphones though. Pretty neutral FR.

I bought these a couple of years ago for a friend. They are MUCH better than I was anticipating. Best bang for the buck I think I've ever seen in headphones, easily.

17. mattball826

mattball826 Member

Yes they are! I was really surprised by how good they were. Some said the Musicians Gear brand at MF is the same set.

I'm still awaiting the Bluetooth version of the 8323. And yes, get the newer ear pads for $5. So much nicer.

Moe45673 likes this.
  18. Elric

Elric Supporting Member

You can get studio quality cans for $100-$150 I personally would not compromise given how inexpensive the good stuff is. I have Sony MDR7506 (favorite), AT-M40fs in that price range and they are both great as are many of the other recommendations here. I usually keep headphones for a 5-10 years and use them everyday. Not something to cheap out on.

MusicLaw and Mister Natural like this.
  19. Mister Natural

Mister Natural Member

also a big fan of AT headphones
    I use the M50s for tracking and some mixing work(contrasting with my studio monitors). Also found an unbelievable deal on the open-back ATH-AD900x and use them for longer sessions as they feel so light

20. jens5

jens5 Silver Supporting Member