Wear headphones are you guys using?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by skhan007, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

Ditto here. Comfortable & natural sounding semi-open back design. I like em a lot.

2. Brandon7s

Brandon7s Silver Supporting Member

I had a pair of RS1s some years ago. Really good stuff. I eventually sold those and bought a pair of Alessandro MS2s, those were also great. I think I liked them even more than the RS1. Weighed a ton though with the metal cups!

3. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

Audeze EL-8 closed back. Total and complete overkill for most purposes, but they sound REALLY GOOD.

TimeSnow likes this.
  4. TimeSnow

TimeSnow Member

Audeze makes great stuff.

5. dramaticrunner

dramaticrunner Member

6. Libre

Libre Member

7. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

These Sony’s sound like a good deal. Low impedance, as well!

8. mbetter

mbetter Member

My brother gave me a pair of AT ATH-M50X for Xmas and they sound boss.

ctreitzell likes this.
  9. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

My K550s finally broke last year after years of faithful service, so I lived with ATH-M50xs for a bit. But my wife got me a pair of Oppo PM-3s for Christmas, and now I'm constantly getting bowled over by all sorts of crazy details (bow hiss on strings, spatial cues, etc.) that I never heard before.

I still wouldn't recommend any headphones for critical mixing or gig preset tweaking, though.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    ctreitzell likes this.
  10. CanuckChris

CanuckChris Supporting Member

After a lot of research, I went with the Sennheiser HD598 SE. Super comfy headphones with lots of detail when listening through them. Pretty neutral balance all around.

11. mkaylor

mkaylor Member

For jamming around the house I like my Line6 G10 and my Sony MDR-RF985R Analog Wireless Headphones. Sound OK and I love the fact that I have no chords. Every once in a while you have to cock your head just right to get rid of the static, but not too often.

12. mojotele65

mojotele65 Member

Sennheiser's - Almost always hooked up to my Helix are the HD280 Pro. I also have an use regularly 598's and my pair I keep at work is the HD650's that I run with a Dragonfly Dac and Icann headphone amp.

13. Prince

Prince Supporting Member

ATH-M50x

ctreitzell likes this.
  14. ryandfl

ryandfl Supporting Member

HD600 all the way.

15. Willowdale

Willowdale Supporting Member

Playing guitar with headphones on totally sucks. I simply wouldn’t play if that was my only choice.......my sincere condolences:(

ctreitzell likes this.
  16. paulbearer

paulbearer Supporting Member

I have a few sets of older, quality (Pioneer, Sennheiser, etc) headphones which were replaced by others along the way.
    I never thought to get new pads until about a year ago, but for between $7 and $12 shipped you can find almost any suitable replacements on ebay. Still like an old shoe, sound great, and seeing use.

ctreitzell likes this.
  17. ctreitzell

ctreitzell Member

Well said. It would have been fortuitous for me to have been considering repairs to my past better gear that probably ended up in a landfill. Sony & AT headphones included. I blame my parents for not teaching me the ways of small/studio electronics;). I have blown it more than once.

18. Deaj

Deaj Member

I have several headphones for music listening that I also use to monitor myself when playing at times where noise is an issue at home.

beyerdynamic DT 250 (250ohm): These are always connected to the headphone output of my Roland Octa-capture audio interface. These are closed-back over-ear, lightweight, very comfortable, and work well for pretty much everything. I quite often practice bass through these as well as guitar. Excellent for transposing as they resolve detail well. Great for playing along with music.

Sennheiser HD650 (300ohms)
    : These are open-faced over ear cans, and they're very comfortable to wear for long periods of time. They can be difficult to drive. Definitely not a not a good choice for use with portable devices. I use these cans exclusively with a Schiit Jotunheim, balanced output. I have a dedicated stereo output from the Octa-Capture connected through the Jotunheim (my AxeFX II is connected via S/PDIF to the Octa-Capture so I use it as a DAC when I want to monitor with these headphones. For music listening I use a Schiit Modi 2 Multibit DAC, but the Octa-capture works quite well as a DAC for the same use.

beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro (250ohm): These are an open-back (they sound like semi-open a'la DT 880's) over-ear headphones and they're extremely comfortable to wear. These are my favorite headphones - very revealing, fast, and all music genres sounds great. They scale well. They're easy enough to drive and sound good with any source, but they really come to live when paired worth an amp with plenty of output power. I pair them with a Little Dot Mark III tube headphone amp. Like the Jotunheim I use the Octa-capture as my DAC when playing along with and/or transposing music, and the Modi 2 Multibit for music listening. It's a mood thing choosing between the HD 650's and the DT 1990 Pro's, and any of these 4 sets are great for monitoring electric guitar.

Focal Listen (32ohm): I use these as travel cans. These are closed-back on-ear cans, and they're strong suit is vocals. Mids are a bit forward, in a good way. They present vocals beautifully, and electric guitar as well. Their low impedance makes them quite easy to drive from pretty much any amp (phone, DAP, modeler headphone amp, etc.). I've retired these in favor of IEM's.

LZ-A4 IEM's (16ohm): These have become my go-to earphones for travel. This is a very interesting IEM. They're a hybrid (1 dynamic driver and 2 Knowles balanced armatures) and they're relatively flat in frequency response. Due to their low impedance and high sensitivity they are easily driven with any headphone amp or portable device (phone, DAP). Isolation is quite good - enough to be used for air travel. They ship with a dual MMCX to 3.5mm stereo plug, a hard case, a wide selection of silicone tips, and a small metal case containing multiple interchangeable filters (6 front, 3 back), These filters allow the user to change the frequency response of the IEM's. The filters are small, anodized aluminum threaded parts with O-ring seals. The front filters set the high frequency limit, the back filters set the low frequency limit. frequency response may be set as narrow as 150Hz-10KHz or as wide as 10Hz-35KHz, with 18 possible combinations. Low frequency steps: 10Hz, 20Hz, 40Hz, 60Hz, 100Hz, and 150Hz. High frequency steps: 10KHz, 15KHz, 16KHz, 20KHz, 24KHz, and 35KHz. These options allow the user to change the sound signature. 20Hz-35KHz is analytical and ideal for critical listening. I have them set for 60Hz-10KHz. At this frequency range the sound signature may be described as 'fun', great for everyday listening and for any genre. Bass is tight and controlled, mids are fairly neutral, treble is smooth. This configuration sounds like treble is more extended than 10KHz. These IEM's resolve an amazing level of detail, Instrument separation is exceptional, as is sound stage. I use these with a Fiio X5 2nd Gen DAP around the house and on the go. The listening experience is as satisfying as my full size headphones through my desktop DAC/amps.

ETA: The Focal Listen headphones are being sold as I've switched to using IEM's for travel. See above.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  19. Justin Hitchborn

Justin Hitchborn Supporting Member

^^This is a fantastic post. Just sayin'.

Deaj likes this.
  20. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member