Weber 1230 vs Legacy 50oz vs G12H30 Anniv

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by kingdavidy2k, Apr 3, 2015.

1. kingdavidy2k

kingdavidy2k Member

Has anyone tried all 3?
    My amp is running a G12H30 Anniv. I don't find it too bad actually. At home bedroom level the highs are strident and harsh but in band situation it actually works. I think it cuts through better than my V-Type.

Just looking for something that has a bit fuller mids? I don't want anything with reduced high. A bit tamer high is fine don't want too loose that clarity I have with the G12H30.

Would the webers fit this description?
    The amp in context is Top Hat Club Royale.

*the g12h30 hasn't been broken in yet, but will be using it in a large outdoor festival for 3 days next week... Hoping that will have positive effects on the speaker.

2. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

Hmm I'd maybe even try an alnico Gold with that amp, probably would sound great! Probably be richer in the mids with real nice clear highs. I really like those amps.

3. troublehead

troublehead Member

I have used all 3......plus the WGS Reapers (55hz, HP, and Regular), Scumback H75, Mojotone BV-30H, Eminence Wizard, Celestion Creamback H75, and the Celestion Heritage 75hz. Tried all of them because my amp was designed around H30's. Bottom line is my ears don't like H30's. All are strident, harsh to me with no mid warmth.

The best of all of them was the Heritage 75hz for what you describe (never tried the 55hz). It offers more mid cut, but still very present/strident on top. The low end is leaner than the H30 Anniversary, but still enough in the 4x12 configuration I use. As a reference, I am using a boutique 50 watt Plexi inspired amp playing hard rock.

I recommend the new Celestion G12-35XC. I have a quad of them and they sound like you describe to my ears.......an Anniversary H30 with more mids and a smoother top at all volumes. But they do have less low end......so not sure how they would work in a 1x12.

But back to your question......the Legacy 50oz 30 watt I had sounded identical to my Scumback H75 (pre black frame). Didn't like either. Both had an obnoxious "honk" to me. Like George Thorogood tone......didn't work for me. The Anniversary H30 sounded more natural and focused under moderate/heavy gain. But still too scooped and brittle for my taste. The Creamback H75 was not pretty either.....but it was new and I offed it quickly.

The run of the mill Chinese Greenback Reissues and the G12-35XC are all I use for everything now.

4. kingdavidy2k

kingdavidy2k Member

Thanks for that Pete! I Appreciate your input.
    What do you think of the G12-35XC compared to G12H30 or to the Alnico Gold?
    The Builder said to stay away from the Gold as he thinks it's got a top end that doesn't sit well with the amp.

5. kingdavidy2k

kingdavidy2k Member

Thanks so much for this. Very informative! Have you had any experience with Weber's G12M variations? How are they compared to the Reissue Greenbacks?

6. ekkybedmond

ekkybedmond Member

I feel Reapers are more balanced than other 12H30 speakers, less trebly from the 30W to HP to a 65W (special order).

Others suggest a mix of H + M (can't remember if OP seeks 1x12, or x x 12 speaker config), the M filling out the mids (as they say).
    Others suggest a Weber Legacy 40oz/ Scumback J, as a good mix on it's own. I own a Legacy 40, with LDC, which I find a tad too middy/mellow, I think a regular DC version might be good middle ground. I think the Legacy's Alnico have 40oz magnets as standard, dunno if OP likes Alnico.

7. kingdavidy2k

kingdavidy2k Member

8. troublehead

troublehead Member

Yes. I tried the Stan Spec Weber 1225's and they were cool, but very inefficient (quiet). Probably my 2nd favorite M magnet speaker behind the Reissue G12 M. Never tried the Legacy M magnets.

I've also used Scumback M75's (blue frame) and BM75's (black frame) and didn't like them......too middy and smooth. Strange EQ curve with no "edge" to the attack.

Didn't care for the EVH G12M (Heritage) or 65watt Creamback either. They are very similar to my ears. Decent at high volume, but very congested and muddy at low volumes.

I like speakers that work in all scenarios.......late night practice to the stage. The Chinese Greenbacks just deliver that for me. They are warm, but still have attack/definition under gain. Nothing can replace them to my ears.....at least in a 4x12 setup.

9. kingdavidy2k

kingdavidy2k Member

Thanks for your input. I pulled the trigger on the G12-35XC.
    This speaker is quite impressive.
    Same efficiency as the G12H30 but sounds a bit louder.
    It's fuller on the high mids than the g12h. Really have a nice chime to it.
    It projecting my sound more forward. Its quite high middy but not at all muddy.
    My ears are not used to the boosted frequency and sometimes I feel it's a bit too much. But yet still nice. I've only tried in my house. I suspect it would cut through nicely in band situation.
    I do find its projecting the flaws on my guitar more. My fret buzz is quite more noticeable with the speaker somehow.
    I imagine it's would be a superb speaker once it mellows out a bit.
    I think it pushes my Club Royale towards Marshall more than vox.
    It actually sounds like my CR with g12h30 with bright switch on and boosted in all frequencies.

I'm using a tele on most scenarios but would imagine sounds killer with LP.

10. el34power

el34power Member

Kind of late for the party here but. I got a Legacy 55hz/65W Large dustcap. i use once in a while in a mesa 3/4 open wide cab with my 2203. great cone IMO. I am a fan of the H30 variants. My main cab for the 2203 is an Avatar vintage premier with a blue frame H30/55 scumback, and a Weber H30/75.
    Love it.. i run my presence, treble at around 8:00, mid at 9:30. so pretty concervative in high/mid's.