Weber 2061cx clone cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by KLB, Apr 20, 2005.

1. KLB

KLB Member

Has anyone tried the new Weber 2061cx type 2x12 closed-back cab shown near the bottom of their "kits" page?

How is the construction, weight, etc.?

What speakers are you using?

Thanks,
    Ken

2. mrmojorisin

mrmojorisin Member

Swanso makes a very similar cab now...2x12 closed back slant "mini" half stack. I think the dimensions are identical andhe gest around $450 for them unloaded with the vintage Marshall cosmetics. I have one coming from him for a 2061x head I picked up used. I think mjpsat (sp?) already has one from Jeff. Mike, can you comment if you see this?

Of course, the worksmanship from Jeff is absolutely first rate...I'd go with him and get a finished cab and save the hassle of doing a kit.

Carl

3. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

I have a swanson 24 x 24 x 14 on the bottom/12 on the top slant. Great construction and it sounds very good so far.

So if the weber 2x12 is a kit, what is there to put together? Does it come without the tolex and grill cloth installed?

4. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

I called Ted. They are completed ply 4x12's built by Tube Garden for Weber.

Sounds like a winner to me. Thinking Red 4x12 myself.

5. KLB

KLB Member

The Weber 2x12 slighly larger clone of the 2061cx cab is already assembled and ready to go for $250 plus ship. I don't know if the corners are fingerjointed.

6. dlxtele

dlxtele Supporting Member

Cab are built by Dan at Tubegarden. Uses solid pine and dovetail joints for the Weber cabs. He builds very nice Fender cabs too and I have a Tweed Deluxe cab that is very solid and beautiful as well.

dlxtele

7. KLB

KLB Member

Solid pine? Hmmm. That won't sound the same as Baltic Birch.
    It should be lighter in weight, though.

I wonder what he uses for baffle materials?

Thanks for the info.

8. nateco

nateco Member

I plan on ordering some soon...as soon as money permits....I'm debating over getting a 4x12" first or maybe a couple of the two 12".

I got a couple of the 60's Marshall 4x10"s and they are great sounding cabs and they look realy cool. ....I'm thinking the Weber cabs will sound pretty close.....they seem to be the same dimensions.

9. dlxtele

dlxtele Supporting Member

The 4X12's are probably different than the combo cabs.He may use ply for the big uns'. He uses birch ply for baffles on the combos.

10. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

Same quandry here. Waving a Red 4x12 in my face like that makes me week in the knees. If there were actual pics, I'd be in WORSE shape! :D

11. nateco

nateco Member

The hard part for me is...I wanna run a stereo setup with my Maz Sr and my ol JMP 50......and two of the two 12"s would look absolutely killer.....Thinkin stuffed with h30's and Silver Bell 50's......mmm mmm good.

I don't realy need new cabs,I got 5 now that cover a lot of ground....but I want some more damn it....I hate GAS Vs money.

12. spikeRI

spikeRI Member

are these are vertical type cabs? (1 speaker on top and 1 on bottom?)

13. martins3325

martins3325 Supporting Member

I owned a 2061cx cab was REALLY nice the only thing i didnt like was its an oddball size 25.3in so a small box plexi head or my Budda head..both are 26in look a little wierd. I returned it and am having Swanson build a 26x26x14 slant 2x12 made to look just like the 2061cx. The 2061cx is 12in deep as opposed to a reg 4x12 which are 14in deep..so im thinking the 26x26x14 inch custom one should sound huge!! I cant wait to get it. And even though the Marshall was well made i have no doubt Swansons build quality is far superior..Ive never seen anyone else who makes birch cabs and actually uses dovetails as opposed toi finger joints! Im gunna load it with Celestions new Pre-Rola Reissue G12H Heritage speakers and use hefty silver plated wire to wire it..Im thinking it should really kill!

14. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

The 2x12's should have the speakers diaganol. There should be one in the bottom right corner and one in the top left corner when looking at it from the back.

15. spikeRI

spikeRI Member

that makes sense........I like the idea of a taller cab and the slant back thing

16. KLB

KLB Member

martins3325,
    Please keep us posted on the cab.

Thanks,
    Ken

17. brent

brent Member

Are the speakers mounted on a single angled plane like the 2061?

18. martins3325

The 2061cx doesnt have the speakers on an angle. I had one. I checked out that kit your talking about on webers site looks kinda cool..wierd dimensions though..i dont like the fack its 11in deep..the 2061cx is 12in deep..the one im having built is gunna be 14in deep like a reg marshall 4x12..should shake the house!

19. KLB

KLB Member

Thanks for clarifying the speaker layout of the 2061cx.

Given the nearly 1" larger width and height of the Weber cab, the .81" shallower depth should be insignificant as to the internal volume difference when compared with the 2061cx. Adding interior volume doesn't necessarily translate to better tonal balance. Some 2x12 and 4x12 cabs are VERY woofy sounding.

Cheers,
    Ken

20. martins3325

Yeah my 14in deep idea is kinda an experiment..we'll see..the 2x12's ive heard that sound "woofy" or "barky" in my experience tend to be the smaller ones or actually. The 2061cx definitely sounded better than my smaller avatar. It wasnt even close to being too bassy though so i wouldnt think the extra depth will kill it. I am having my new one braced like a 4x12 though..so it should be tight. The g12-H seem to be a pretty tight speaker too so im thinking it wont be sloppy sounding..like i said its an experiement in a way so we'll see.