Weber 5E3x2 Kit

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by kannibul, Dec 15, 2005.

1. kannibul

kannibul Member

I'm thinking this will be the amp I'll build.

It's a 4x6V6, Cathode Bias Fender Deluxe, in a 2x12 combo cab.

I'm thinking I'll go with tweed/oxblood (traditional) or smooth cream/? for something different - I might change my mind and do something else as well, but, still not sure.

The circuit looks identical except for the additional power tubes and grid resistors.

For speakers, I think I may opt to go with Weber 12A125 x2 - anyone have these speakers? There's a clip that flat out sounds great on his website...

Any thoughts

2. Scott_F

Scott_F Gold Supporting Member

I played a Victoria 5E3x2 one time at the DFW guitar show and it was killer!

3. kannibul

kannibul Member

Cool - was it screaming loud before it broke up?

I'm somewhat nervous about how loud I might have to have it...

4. Scott_F

Broke up earlier than screaming loud. Ever played a 5e3? like running two at once with an ABY pedal.

5. kannibul

kannibul Member

Nope - my only experience with Fender Amps is with the HotRod Series and the Blues Jr. - both of which, IMO, suck hard-core.

I just have the biulder bug. I used to build model cars when I was young - but couldn't play with them afterwards - building amps is more fun - cause I can!

6. Ridgeback

Ridgeback Member

I have the Vicky Double Deluxe. It is the perfect blend of size\weight\tone\headroom and breaks up at just the right volume for my purposes. A regular deluxe did not have enough headroom for me but this guy has all of the deluxe tone and grind but stays clean a bit longer for rhythm playing. BTW, I put two 25 wattt Weber 12A150 (P12N's) in it.

7. kannibul

kannibul Member

I'm clueless with what weber offers and what speakers get which tones...

The only reason I've been leaning towards the 12A125 - is because there is a clip for them, and I like the tone.

Lots of potential studio magic, but, it's "something"...

Have you tried lots of Weber / Jensen's? If so - I could probably use some advice on which to choose.

8. Ridgeback

Ridgeback Member

Kannibul, I have Weber speakers in all of my amps so I am biased. I have tried the Jensen P10R's and the C10N's and they are OK but not in Weber's league IMHO. Besides the 12A150's in the DD (actually one 12A150 and one 12A150B), I have a 12F150B in my DRRI, a 12A150W in my Blues Jr, and two 10A125's in my Vicky bassman. I'd ideally have four of these in the bassman but I have to have $ for greens fees. :)

My advice (FWIW) is to look over the descriptions on Weber's web site (they are brief but really fairly accurate), figure out pretty specifically what you are looking for in terms of breakup and tone charactistics and then e-mail or call Ted Weber and tell him what amp you are putting them in and what you are looking for tone-wise. I have always gone with his recommendations and have never been disappointed. After you get his recommendation you can do a search of various forums for that model number and get other peoples' opinions if you want. His speakers require a good long breakin period to come into their own even if you ask him to do a bit of breakin before shipping so don't judge them too early.

9. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

How loud are you guys playing when you say a 5E3 wasn't loud enough? I have been considering a 5E3 and have all but decided in my life I have no need for anything more than 20 watts. I play out some with my SF Deluxe, and I use an attenuator for that! So I guess I don't get that loud. You probably couldn't talk over it standing right next to it, but compared to really loud bands, I am not loud at all. Would a 5E3 handle that and still be able to clean up? If not maybe I need the DD.

10. kannibul

kannibul Member

I asked Ted what he would recommend, and he said the Signature AlNiCo 12's that come with the kit, or, the 12F150 or 12F150B.

I was kind of surprised he would go for the ferrite - I've always thought the AlNiCo's would be the best solution for fender amps...

I'm just worried that I might make a "wrong" choice, and end up spenging shitloads of cash to get it right. Maybe the Signature 12's would be best...

11. Scott_F

Its not an issue of loud to me, more of an issue of clean headroom.

12. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

Well that is sort of what I meant when I asked if it could handle my situation and still clean up. Let me rephrase, how loud is it clean? Actually it might not matter. I would keep one of my SF's for cleaner stuff and just use the 5E3 for dirty stuff. But probably not TOO dirty. I probably just need to play one, but there just isn't a dealer of any brand of tweed clone anywhere near me.

13. Argonaut4

Argonaut4 Member

I'll be interested in hearing how the Weber kit works out for. Also, that particular amp sounds like it will be cool. I have a bunch of Weber speakers and agree with pretty much everything Ridgeback said. I've asked Ted many times for recommendations and have never been disappointed with is advice. He definitely knows his stuff.

Good luck!

BTW, did you receive all the SLO info I emailed you?

14. kannibul

kannibul Member

Yes - I'm not sure if I would go through with building one - since getting into an amp that has that many gain stages, and has channel switching - well, lets say that I need to make sure I can do something right first!

Thanks for that SLO stuff - it may come in handy down the road. Sorry I didn't reply to the email :p

I called Ted today, and asked him some questions on what he would recommend for speakers - which, he said the Signature AlNiCo 12's would be ideal for the amp. I guess I have to take his word for it - after all they're his speakers, and if I don't like them I can tell him what I don't like, and he should be able to help me out.

Seemed like a really cool guy - I've called before (to order stuff) and never talked to Ted - but usually to some female (not even sure if it's the same one or not...) - anyhow, Ted seemed like a really cool guy, and I'm sure he gets sick of people asking the same basic crap over and over again - but, I didn't get that from him - I mean, my questions are in the "stupid basic" category.

Also, from what I remember of the conversation - the 5E3x2 is roughly 18-20w - due to the lower plate voltage/bias. He said if one was to use the higher plate voltage tap on the PT, you might be able to get around 30w.

Anyhow, I went away from the conversation confident in what I am about to purchase - now it's just a matter of female-approval (easy) and the wait (hard) - I think he mentioned cabs being 4 weeks...

So, now my final descision is to decide between the traditional tweed/oxblood - or, something else that he has...

15. Scott_F

I just bought one of his hardwood cherry heads and the workmanship is nice.

[​IMG]

16. Ridgeback

Ridgeback Member

Exactly. The 5E3 circuit breaks up VERY early, especially with HB's or P-90's. The X2, at double the wattage (or less) is not that much louder than a "regular" deluxe but stays clean a bit longer so is more versatile IMO. The Double Deluxe is still my "dirty" amp and the tweed bassman is for clean at volume.

BTW, when I asked Ted for a recommendation on the speakers for my DD, I specified alnico or I suspect he would have given me the same rec that he gave you. Good luck on your project.