Weber AlNiCo Blue Dog vs Eminence Red Fang - Small review/comparison

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tele_jas, Jun 8, 2008.

1. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

I've had a chance to play both of these speakers in a Dr Z Mazerati 1x12 combo (and with my Stangray head) and I just want to give my quick little comparison.

* The Weber Blue Dog - Alnico, 50wts, 8ohms
    * Eminence Red Fang - Alnico, recently re-rated to 50wts (per Eminence), 8 ohms.
    * Amp/s used - Dr. Z Mazerati and Dr. Z Stangray.

The Weber clearly is the speaker that I like better. It's just a clearer speaker... Lows are lower, highs are higher and mids are nice and bananced (not boxy at all). The speaker just seems to feels more responsive and yet smoother and more aggressive at the same time (if that's possible).

The Red Fang, may not be the clear winner between the two, but if I had to pick a 2nd favorite speaker (out of all the speakers I've had over the years), it would be the Red Fang. I traded the Red Fang off a couple weeks back for a Weber Silver Bell and I didn't like it near as well as the Red Fang... But I had a chance to get the Blue Dog for a great price and couldn't pass on it... Otherwise, I would have gotten another Red Fang. The Red Fang was still very "AlNiCo" sounding and had a nice speaker breakup with chime for days but had just a bit "Stiffer" feel to it than the Weber, and maybe a bit "boxy" in comparison... but not bad by any means.

Both GREAT speakers, but if you can afford $30-$50 more for the Weber I highly recommend it.... and if you can find a Red Fang for good price, don't pass up on it... you won't regret it.

That's my $.02 worth.

EDIT: I really need to add this too:

My only complaint with the Silver bell was it was too "clean" of a speaker. The Blue has this nice top end break up and compression that the Silver just didn't have.

I guess I should back up a bit and mention that I have a 2x12 open back Z cab wtih a Weber alnico blue dog and a weber alnico silver bell.. I tried putting 2 blue's in there, and I liked the sound of the blue/silver better than the two blues. I get the benefits of both, and together they sound HUGE.

Tone of the Silver??? It had less mids, more low end and a smoother top end.. it's also less "compressed" sounding/feeling than both the blue and red fang. Also, as I mentioned above, it has less speaker breakup. It's a GREAT speaker too, but not what I was wanting.

I actually did a comparison recording with my Stangray a few months back..... I've got that clip at www.guitartest.moonfruit.com on the Stangray page. You pretty much hear what I just said above, it's called "Silver then Blue".

Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  2. mbetter

mbetter Member

Were both speakers brand new? Words like "stiff" and "boxy" make me think that the Red Fang needed some break-in time.

Oh and how does the Stangray compare to the 'Rati? I'm lusting over one of those something fierce :(.

3. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

Actually, both speakers are broken in pretty good, if anything, the Weber is actually a newer speaker with lower hours on it.... I've had the Red Fang for about 9 months and have used it quite a bit with the Mazerati and the Ray, and it was used when I got it.

The Ray vs a Rati..... Hmmm, well they are both very clean amps but the Ray is probably the BEST amp I've ever played, heard, or owned in my life. Compared to the Rati, it has more lows (on tap), more top end and chime (on tap) and is the best clean tone I've ever heard in my life. If you've heard Brad Paisley's newest album "5th Gear", that's the Stangray tone. Both amps take pedals great too...... but for the rock side, the Rati wins. the Rati has this stronger mid-range that is almost Marshall-ish to a point. The Rati's cleans are pretty nice too, but not as nice as the Rays. I have a hard time picking which amp to use every weekend, but if I had to have only one of those amps..... it would be the Stangray.

I should also add, the Ray starts to break up around 4 (about 10:00) on the volume knob and the Mazerati starts breaking up around 11:00 (no numbers to go by).... But the Rati gets more aggressive and more overdrive towards the top of the volume knob than the Ray does. The Rati is also a little stiffer feeling than the Ray.

Both great amps!

4. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

Very nice review, thanks. I'd love to try one of Weber's Blues. I may end up buying one of his ceramics 50 watt Blues. I love my Red Fang but I do wish it broke up later. My drummer is LOUD and I need clean tones from a 1x12.

5. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

Maybe the Weber Alnici silver bell? that was my main gripe about it, it didn't break up as soon as the Red Fang........? Just a thought.

6. mbetter

mbetter Member

I had a 50 watt ceramic Blue Dog in my Bruno UG30 before the Red Fangs I have in there now and it was OK but not great. I don't know if it's the AlNiCo or what but the Red Fangs really made the amp pop.

7. Flux

Flux Member

Thanks for the review :)
    I run a Blue Dog/Silver Bell (both 30 watt) with my JTM50 clone. Lately I've been GASsing for Gold, Blues - and the Red. Just curious; I really like the sound of these two Webers. I'd still like to try an A/B test, but your review has relieved some of my GAS pains, heheh :D

8. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

The Silver sounds like it might not be bright enough. I'm going more for a Celestion Blue inspired sound rather than a Silver sound. How did the 50 watt Weber Blue Dog hold up?

Hmmm. Yeah I dunno yet. The Fang is a great speaker but I kinda want to give the Weber a shot. Maybe his alnico 50 watt version then.

9. Flux

Flux Member

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the Weber alnicos (Blue Dog et al), get 'smoother' and 'warmer' sounding as they get higher wattage ratings. So if you're looking for a lively, jangly 15 watt Blue sound, you might want to keep that in mind....

10. prsnstrat

prsnstrat Member

Great review Jas, very much appreciated.