Weber alnico in a Blues Jr

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by brightblack, Aug 3, 2008.

1. brightblack

brightblack Member

Hey- I was thinking of replacing the stock speaker in my Blues Jr with a 30 watt Weber alnico Silver Bell their ''12's just like the stock speaker but I heard that they don't fit in the stock cab. Is this true? I just want a warmer sounding speaker- the stock speaker is just a bit bright for my taste.

Thanks for the help!:stir

2. brightblack

brightblack Member

Also, any recommendations of any other speaker would be greatly appreciated.

3. Gtrman100

Gtrman100 Member

I've got an Eminence Swamp Thang in mine and like the beefier bass response and warmer high end. It's also louder and gives you more clean headroom. I've heard good things about the Cannibis Rex too.

4. brightblack

brightblack Member

Gtrman100- The Swamp Thang was my second choice and its about 100 bucks cheaper! I've heard a lot of good things about them and I think I'll end up going for it. Thanks!

5. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I have a Swamp Thang in my Gries 35. Great speaker in a black face style amp.

6. Gtrman100

Gtrman100 Member

Hope it works well for you!

7. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Only speaker I've ever heard in a Blues Jr that completely gets rid of the "boxiness" when you crank the amp is a Celestion G12H30. I bought a Hellatone 30 (broken in G12H30) for about $80 and have never looked back.

Absolutely awesome speaker for that amp.

8. brightblack

brightblack Member

Guitar Dave T- I heard that Celestion G1230 is a darker speaker as well, which is exactly what I'm looking for! Is this true or should I think about a Greenback?

9. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

The Avatar Hellatone 30, broken in G12H30 may be a tad darker then the Greenbacks, or maybe just fuller, but they compliment the Blues Jr extremely well. I do not know why Fender doesn't spec them, stock. Turns a killer sounding low volume amp into a killer sounding low AND band volume amp.

Greenbacks are very cool, but I've never cared for them in a 1x12 config. Four of 'em in a closed back 1960A or B cab are pure sonic heaven, though.