1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Weber amp clones?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by arjunv, May 19, 2006.

1. arjunv

arjunv Member

Hey guys, I'm new here so dont :FM the newbie too much.

Anyway, I am a high school student without much money. I'm going to be making 1400 this summer and I am putting it towards an amp. I want a nice Marshally crunch sound. However, with Marshall's crappy pricing, it is almost impossible to get a nice classic/hard rock Marshall (TSL100/DSL100 are too modern). I have been recently looking at reproduction/replicas of Marshalls especially Weber Amp "assemblers" because they can put stuff in (like a post PIMV and bias test points and trim pot which I pretty much need). I have been looking at Electrosonic and Paceware for my amp. Has anyone had experience with getting a replica made, and do you guys think that I could get a quality amp from them for my price range? I am looking for using the 100 watt Plexi kit from Weber as a starting point, and am adding bias testing points, trim pot, post PIMV, and maybe an effects loop.

Thanks guys!

2. Derelict

Derelict Member

3. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Hi arjunv,

Welcome to TGP. I think you'll find a lot of useful info here.

The ceriatone suggestion doesn't look like the best answer here. According to their web site they're located in Southeast Asia. I checked the freight on a tweed 5E3 and it was well over $200.00

I don't have first-hand experience with the Weber kits but I'm sure someone will chime in here to help you out.

4. arjunv

arjunv Member

Thanks for the warm welcome guys, I really appreciate it.

I have heard a lot about the Gear Page from ultimateguitar and Harmony Central. ultimate guitar is mostly metal heads who do not wish to partake in the wonderful nuances of classic rock (lol) and Harmony Central has plain crazy people there. From what I can tell so far, The Gear Page seems to be full of people who really know and love their stuff. I'm going to feel right at home here:dude .

Back to business,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I really don't want to take the risk of having something go wrong with the amp and not be able to get the money back (I only have a summer job and I can't afford an amp to get screwed up)

5. Soul Driver

Soul Driver Member

Hello,

I've not actually bought an amp kit from anyone yet but I spend quite abit of time on the 18watt.com and Trinity Amp forums. I'm trying to decide what kit to buy myself at the moment but I'm probably going to go the Matchless clone route.

If you are after a Marshall clone then the http://www.18watt.com/ site is a good starting place, there are more clones then just the 18watts there.

Stephen at Trinity does a Marshall 18watt, Fender Deluxe and Matchless Lightning clones. http://www.trinityamps.com/

Cheers,

Chris.

6. arjunv

arjunv Member

I think you might be mistaken with what I am looking for. I am looking for pre-built amps, not a do-it-yourself amp kit. I am looking for a Plexi replica. Does 18watt have Plexis. In fact, how do you access the products that 18watt makes?

7. royd

royd Member

The ceriatone products are very well made and a good buy even after adding the shipping and some kind of cab. Don't let the distance or shipping scare you off from considering them.

8. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

+1. He's also quite accessible. Have not bought, but have communicated by e-mail a few times. He is, however , in Canada, but hey, so am I. :D

9. Soul Driver

Soul Driver Member

Hi,

I wasn't missing the point to your post. The 18Watt site is a discussion forum with members building clones (not only Marshall 1974x clones). I was suggesting that visting the 18Watt and the Trinity amps board and posting about your requirements may yeild you some helpful responses.

Most of the members on the 18Watt forum would be happy to build an amp for a member that doesn't want to do it but wants a clone. You may find you end up with exactly what you want at an even more reasonable price than you were hoping for! :AOK

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers,

Chris.

10. arjunv

arjunv Member

ok,

ive heard that 18watt gets really pissed off about weber kits, but I will ask them about other kits, thanks for the idea!

trinity only does 18watt, im looking for a 100(preferable)/50 watt Plexi.

ive realized that ceriatone does not provide a cabinet (i believe the term is) for the chassis. i prefer them all together, ,but i will consider them as an option.

thanks for the suggestions and great ideas. keep them coming!

arjun

11. Soul Driver

Soul Driver Member

Yeah, Ceriatone only sell chassis no cabinets. Stephen at Trinity will build whatever you want, contact him via email with your requirments and he will let you know if he can do it and how much it will cost (he is really helpful and friendly).

Are you sure you want a 100Watt plexi? I used to have a 1959SLP reissue that I could not turn up above two without a powerbrake....... it got my band banned from playing too many venues at the time because of the sheer volume of the thing.

I think a 50Watt non master volume plexi is plenty loud enough for most gigging situations.

Cheers,

Chris.

12. outtahear

outtahear Supporting Member

13. cocobolo

cocobolo Supporting Member

I am a hobby builder and have found that kits can sound as good or better than current production or even vintage. The great thing about weber's kits are that they inexpensive and can be customized/upgraded. Also check out metroamp.com where they are into building marshalls. For 1400 you could also buy a used boutique. Search the forum here for Roccaforte and Germino. There are a ton of sound clips at the roccaforte site and of germino's amps at steelbender.com

14. Ian Anderson

Ian Anderson Supporting Member

I would pick up a used plexi reissue for around $800 and then get a decent marshall 4X12 cab with greenbacks or V 30s which would be around $5-600. Or pick up a Carvin cab loaded with Celestions for even cheaper if new is your thing.

You'll have enough left over for an attenuator or some pedals.

15. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

Bump for the 50 watters. I love my Reinhardt jester. It's like a 50 watt marshall on steroids and a solo boost. It's a non master amp and it's loud.:eek:

...but I like it that way.:D

16. ungarn

ungarn Member

For classic rock a used Marshall DSL50 with a Hellatone loaded Avatar Speakers cab would be tough to beat...you would also have $$$ leftover...

17. ultrevex

ultrevex Member

I have not bought one of the weber amp kits yet but will be buying the JTM-45 1X12 combo this summer. I can say this... I own about 8 Weber speakers, a mini-mass attenuator and frequent the Weber boards and everything Ted puts out is excellent. His business ethic and customer service are both top notch. If you're after true old school Marshall tone with a couple of modernish wrinkles, I cant see how you'd go wrong having one of his kits assembled by a small shop pro. You'd have about $900 (several guys will build the medium complexity kits for a flat $300) into a very high quality, customizable Marshall clone with your choice of tolex, grill cloth and speaker(s). If it isnt quite what you had hoped for, you'll be able to recoup the majority of that cost quickly.

Are you sure you need a 100 watter? Trust me.... his JTM45 platform will be too loud for most situations, even through a 1X12 open back cab. The cool thing is he offers a lower headroom output transformer for that amp, which is what I'll be getting.

good luck

18. arjunv

arjunv Member

Thanks a lot for your help guys, I really appreciate it.

I'm getting a 100 watter because I can always pull 2 tubes out for 50 watts. It should be worth 50 bucks for the extra capacity right?

I can't buy used because my parents wont let me and I can't convince them otherwise, so that is out of the picture.

I think I am going to go with a Weber manufacturer. Anyone know of any other assemblers? Also, I am getting a post PIMV, bias test points, switchcraft jacks, fender pilot light, and better switches. Any other mods (could you guys recommend some better caps?) Also, about how much should this all cost? I got one quote for 500 for just assembly

19. arjunv

arjunv Member

by the way, will taking 2 tubes out of the 100-watter make it sound worse or the same as a normal 50-watt Plexi?

20. ultrevex

ultrevex Member

In my experiences, pulling 2 tubes from a 100 watt Marshall results in an amp that still has more headroom and volume than a 50 watter. Where are you going to be playing this amp? With what cabinet? A 50 watter cranked over '4' through a 4X12 closed back cab is enough rig for Madison Square Garden. A 100 watter is overkill for anything but a football stadium. If you're looking for an amp that you can achieve classic Marshall crunch with, you might want to consider the 18 watt version, which will still be loud enough to get you kicked out of most band situations! The JTM45 is probably even too loud but it's my idea of a definitive Marshall tone.

Let's see.... a Weber 18 watt head kit runs $415. Even with your $500 build quote, you'd have under a grand into it. Pair it with something like an Avatar 2X12 Celestion loaded cab for $300 and you've got a smoking rig... with change left over for earplugs!

again, good luck.