weber amp kits

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by frank62, Jun 29, 2006.

1. frank62

frank62 Member

anyone build one of these yet? am looking at the collins design 5e3x2 at 515 it seems like an incredible deal.

2. hasserl

hasserl Member

Yes, I've built and am building one. They are a great deal, but I'd advise you plan or upgrading certain companents. Nothing major, just things like input jacks an tubes.

There is not a lot of support for these, if you haven't built amps before I suggest going with the simplest design, the 5F1 Champ circuit, to get yur feet wet. If you are totally discouraged when you're donw than you'll be hooked and then take on the more dificult projects. LOt's of folks have tackled the 5E3 to start with, but I don't recommend it.

JMO

3. frank62

frank62 Member

never built an amp kit. the goal here is to get something in the ballpark of a vicky double deluxe without the huge expense. the money i would spend on a champ kit might be better used to have someone experienced do the job. what have you built so far and how do you like them? thanks.

4. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

5. hasserl

hasserl Member

I've built one 5E3, I've helped someone else build 5E3, I finished a 6M18TMB for a friend who thought it would be a cool project then got overwhelmed and had problems. And I am now doing a 5E5A.

Once completed they are terrific amps, they sound incredible, and built right they will last a lifetime, just like the originals did.

6. frank62

frank62 Member

thanks guys. the lil dawg looks interesting, great price for sure. there are so many of these kit amps out there i don't know what to think. the last amp i owned was a 65 nonreverb deluxe. my next one would have to be at least on a par with it.

7. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Silver Supporting Member

My 6m36tmb head kit just arrived yesterday(in levant green). I have always wanted an EL84 head, so I am giving this a shot.

Of course, as soon as I had ordered this, I happened upon a 10 watt 2xEL84 Precision Electronics pa amp at a flea market for $2. I guess that will be more of a practice amp once I tweak it for guitar. It only has one preamp tube, but I am replacing the EZ80 with a Weber copper cap to make sure I get enough headroom on the heater winding to add another tube.

8. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

frank62...There's a guy I found on Ebay named Richard Scense..He is a "Tweed" builder, but goes beyond that...I bought from him an amp he calls The Last Frontier Whipporwill 15...It has all the BAD things fixed about the 5E3, and all the good things left alone...The amp is 2 6L6's, nice tight bottom end, more power, and the Jensen 15 he uses is Really very good sounding..Workmanship is impeccable....the cost was $800!!! I think that included shipping!!! amazing amps...you can find him on ebay under the last frontier....I have a Bad Cat, Zinky Supro Tremelectric, Rocky Top 45H, a VHT, ect...this is as good as any of my other amps...It has the Tweed growl....HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

9. Chrome Dinette

Due to a snafu w/my chassis(currently being fixed by ted, great guy) I ended up working on my $2 flea market amp first. I actually followed a new schematic on the Weber site(Smokin' Joe 2). It is unusual in that it uses the first tube in cascode, not normal for a guitar amp. It sounds great, kind of Voxy but with lots of crunch available at lower volumes due to the post PI master volume.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. wilder

wilder Member

Nice DIY pa conversion! I'm going to pick up an old 2-6v6 Dukane PA amp at lunch today. I might do something similar with it.

As far as the Weber amp kits, I felt it was a good value. I just finished a 6M18TMB, but I built it using the Trinity SIII layout. I replaced the input jacks, switches, and caps from the weber kit. I also had to replace one pot as it was just too shoddy to use. The chassis, head, box, and trannies are a good buy at his price even if you don't use any of the other components.

Chris

11. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Time Warped Gold Supporting Member

my last build was a 6m45 model, came out great. I changed tubes , jacks, impendance selector. knobs. sounded really great when i got done. and looking to try one of weber smokin joe II when he gets them ready. I need another practice amp LOL

12. Chrome Dinette

I am nearing completion of my 6m36tmb and I am pretty happy with the kit. There are a couple things that could have been better, but I still think it is a good value. For example, the impedance selector switch that is supplied is almost impossible to mount without screwing up the wiring at the nearest tube socket. The solution is to buy a more appropriately sized switch, or just wire up multiple jacks for multiple impedances. Also, if the opt xfmr and tag board holes moved about 1/4" everything would fit much better(right now, the tag board is up against the input jacks and there is extra clearance on the tube socket side). I eliminated two of the input jacks. Who plugs four guitars in anyway?

There was a thread on here about unique circuits and non standard tubes, but I couldn't find it. Anyway, Ted has some neat designs in the works.

I built this one into the old pa head above:

https://weberspeakerscom.secure.powweb.com/store/smokeII_schem.jpg

These all use the 807 for the power tube(s).

http://www.tedweber.com/schematics/willy_schem.jpg

http://www.tedweber.com/schematics/807_schem.jpg

https://weberspeakerscom.secure.powweb.com/store/lauren_schem.jpg

13. Chrome Dinette

[​IMG]
    When he made the SJ2 schematic available, I built it into that old pa head. It really sounds great. It is definitely in the running for one of the best amps I have ever heard. I have since added a handle.

14. Hacksaw

I like the lettering for the controls, and the color! very cool. Just a thought, install a ma meter in the front in the hole or a volt meter ?? just like one of those old time radios :)

Nice work!

15. Chrome Dinette

Cheapo lettering secret:

Write first with a sharpy, then with a metallic paint pen. Spray over that with clear spray paint.

16. Hacksaw

:rotflmao OK! Now, I know how, I got to do this. Looks very retro/modern hand made thing going on. I would have never thought of that! Thank you.

17. Hacksaw

Just got some down time here, and I couldnt stand it anymore, I just ordered a 6m18tmb with the leather paisly head covering. Time to get busy :)

18. Chrome Dinette

I have been more of less finished with my 6m36tmb for a couple of weeks. I think this amp sounds great, though not quite as good as the pa amp rebuild pictured earlier in the thread.

[​IMG]

Beware of the tubes and pots. two of my preamp tubes were unuseably microphonic and the pots were total trash. Also, I swear the holes for the tag board are too close too the front of the amp. I ended up leaving two of the input jacks off because I couldn't get it all to fit, whether I used the plastic jacks that came with the unit, or switchcraft.

[​IMG]

Despite the troubles, I still think it is a decent value. If you assemble it right, you end up with a cool looking, great sounding amp. If anything, Ted should use better pots and maybe offer a discount to buy the kit sans tubes.

The fact that my pa amp rebuild of his Smokin Joe 2 design sounds so good leads me to believe Ted is no slouch in the design department. He has some other cool amps on the way that use unusual tubes or are configured somewhat differently than the typical Fender/Marshall/Vox world that we are used to.

single ended amp using 807 output tube:

https://weberspeakerscom.secure.powweb.com/store/lauren_schem.jpg

amp aimed at steel guitar players with 2 807's in push pull:

http://www.tedweber.com/schematics/willy_schem.jpg

two amps inspired by other notorious tube amps:

https://weberspeakerscom.secure.powweb.com/store/java_schem.jpg

http://www.tedweber.com/schematics/halle_schem.jpg

19. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    I used to like the American flag on Teds site. Strange that he doesn't now fly a Chinese flag:)

20. Hacksaw

Lookin good so far! I had the same problem with the tag board on the jtm 45 kit I did. I was hoping this 18watt would be better with fitting. Guess I will be drilling! (or just not using it) I too have a replacement set of tubes for the kit. I will probably use the tubes just to turn it on. I cant wait to hear what this one will sound like when completed! then start changing things to make it more geared to what I think it needs.

I seen the smoking joe, Ted said they where waiting on the chassis, I decided to try the 18w and then maybe a joe II after I get this one completed! the kit should be here tuesday. Mayby I should take off work a couple days next week ;-)