Weber and other kit amp questions.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Wes_k, Dec 9, 2005.

1. Wes_k

Wes_k Member

While looking at other threads i came across the Weber kit amps....I'm after that vintage fender tweed tone, however i don't have a vintage wallet to pay for such an amp....These kit amps seem like a reasonable alternative at a decent price....Has anyone had any experience with Weber, or know of other really solid amp kit companies??... I don't think i would be ready to build my own and would have more confidence in having it built for me by the kit supplier...It seems like an affordable way to get a somewhat custom tube amp...I'm after a Neil Young-esque type of tone...what model should i be looking at? I don't need an extremely loud amp as I only practice at home, record, and have the odd jam with a couple friends...I would want something with a 12" speaker .... Can anyone suggest a specific model?

Any opinions would be great or other suggestions definitely welcome...I would like to keep the amp in the $600 range....

2. Richard Guy

Richard Guy Member

Gilmore Jr Head Kit, please read the user reviews and listen to the sound clips. Thanks.

3. lannyhall

lannyhall Member

http://www.missionamps.com/5e3.html They have complete chassis kits for the 5E3 (Tweed Deluxe). You can also buy a cab from them loaded or unloaded.

About three years ago I bought and built one - my first and only time to do the kit thing. It wasn't fall-off-a-log simple, but it wasn't brain surgury.

4. Wes_k

Wes_k Member

5. Scott_F

Scott_F Member

Bruce at Mission supplies great parts, something I'd be looking for in a kit company. His prices are a bit higher though. you get what you pay for in this world. Bruce also has great support. I built one of his 5E3 kits a long time ago and it was an outstanding experience. He's got a private webspace that hosts a lot of photos of the build process.

The weber kits have some less expensive parts (mostly chinese) in there. BUT, if you are on a budget, they offer great value. A friend of mine built a weber kit. In his opinion, you need to get some new switches and pots, but for the most part his amp sounds pretty good. Weber support exists pretty much only on-line and there isn't much that comes in that kit besides a schematic and layout diagram.

For that Neil Young tone, you need a 5E3 Tweed Deluxe that runs 6L6's. I think there's a Weber kit for that.

6. Mike_E_McGee

Mike_E_McGee Member

I'll third the Mission Amps suggestion. Here's a pic of my 5E3. It is the best amp I've ever played!

[​IMG]

7. Wes_k

Wes_k Member

thanks guys, i will definitly look into the mission amps...obviously i would save a fair amount of money if i build it myself...i'm a competant DIY'er but have never done any in depth electrical work...are the directions supplied sufficient...and other than a sodering iron, would i need any other speciality tools??? Is this something a beginner at electronics can realistically tackle???

8. Scott_F

Scott_F Member

If you are motivated, you can do it. Can you solder a new set of pickups into your guitar? Can you put together a puzzle? :)

Bruce has a lot of photos so it kind of walks you along. Attention to detail is a must. Just follow the layout and look at the digital photos.

9. Occam

Occam Member

Good luck...I bought one and waited months without getting email responses and even tried calling several times. I eventually gave up and got pay-pal to give me a refund.

I'd really like to build one of the smaller Weber kits but there are a few...I'm really just looking for that early Tele (I and II) era Jimmy Page tone.

10. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

David Allen still offers his amps as kits, no?

11. bob-i

bob-i Member

I built a Weber JTM45 kit for a friend.

[​IMG]

The major components like the transformers, filter caps, tube sockets and chassis are great. The resistors, pots and capacitors are ok, not top quality but you can alway upgrade later. I haven't received the cab yet but I expect it'll be good quality as I've built using these cabs before.

The kit is very complete. All parts are included, even cloth covered wire. The only thing you need is tools. This is a complexity 3 on the scale of 1-5. If you haven't built before I'd stay with a 1 or 2.

I recorded this clip, volume on about 3, tones on 5. After a few riffs I turned the tone controls one at a time from 0 to 10. I haven't been able to capture the sound of this amp cranked, somehow I'm just not capturing it. It's huge and fat.

http://www.patmedia.net/bob-ingram/Luis/Clean1.mp3

Service from Weber is excellent. While building I cracked the rear panel. After some choice words I e-mailed Ted asking the price of a replacement. He sent a new one the next day, FREE. Can't beat that.

12. Richard Guy

Richard Guy Member

Dear Occam,

I have just read your posting and believe that you have Guytronix confuesd with another company as I've never been contacted or received an order from you. Every one of my Customers are very important to me. I've never heard or witnessed a complaint about Guytronix or myself until reading your post. Each of my Customers inquiries are replied to right away, even after the sale. Sending payment for an Amp Kit from Guytronix is not the end of the relationship, it is just the beginning. Please read my Customer reviews concerning the Guytronix Experience. Please call me at 703-690-1339 to discuss your issue as I am interested in whatever I can do to help you. Thanks.