Weber Attenuators...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gregory70, Jul 9, 2006.

1. gregory70

gregory70 Supporting Member

I'm sure this has been covered before, but these Weber Attenuators seem like a GREAT deal at approximately $100. What's the catch? How can they cost 1/3 the price of a Hotplate or Muzzle? Weber makes great speakers, are the attenuators great as well?

Also, I have 3 amps; two at less than 25 watts and a 45 watt amp - should I just a get the 50 watt attenuator or will I need two (a 25 watt and a 50 watt).

I'm just sick of using pedals (I have reduced my pedals to a Timmy only) and I am equally sick of my keyboardist asking if I have a "quieter amp." Help me out here guys!:confused:

2. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

Webers are just fine compared to the others. Certain attenuators work better with certain set-ups. Ted addresses the cost question on his FAQ section on his web page. Selling direct to people allows him to lower his prices.
    Just the 50 watt MASS is all you need. The only reson to get bigger would be to cover an eventuality when you might have a 100 watt amp (we are Gear pagers, aren't we?).

3. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

I love my Weber speakers.............

I have to say that all of the "hardware" products that I have bought/used, my tone and feel had diminished to a point that I could not use it any longer.
    Mass
    Mini-mass
    Z-Matcher

None worked out for me.
    Even at unity, the feel was very "softened"

Hotplate worked best for me.

M.E.

4. gregory70

I couldn't find an FAQ page... do you have a link? Thanks!

5. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

I had a Mass 50 and A/B'd it with my Hot Plate (I was looking for the variable attenuation vs set clicks on the knob), the Weber still was doing quite a bit of attenuation, even with the knob dimed - The Hot Plate sounded better, much better...

6. Tikirocker

Tikirocker Member

Hey man,

I have a 50 watt Mini Mass mint condition for trade or sale - they are awesome units and there is no catch. I am offloading mine because I just sold my Fender Bandmaster Reverb which is what I bought the Mini Mass for but I never ended up using it. I know they are great units as a mate of mine had one which prompted me to get one also.

I'm a Hall of Fame member at HCFX - Tikirocker there also. If you're interested PM me there or psi_fan@yahoo.com

Best, Simon.

7. gregory70

Hey Tikirocker - PM sent.

8. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

Selling direct is a big reason for the discount.

I've used one for a while. The speaker motors are supposed to be better on your OT's from what I hear. The new ones are great because you can adjust the tone, I have a 15w 16Ohm I use with my amp and it just has the attenuation pot, I've found that I lose the percieved high end sparkle, with the new tone controls I could fix that.

9. drmathprog

drmathprog Member

I've been using the Weber 50W Minimass for several years. For me, it works great; no complaints at all. As an added bonus, Ted is a first class person; fair to a fault and beyond. A few months ago, I dropped my Mass and broke the toggle switch. Obviuosly, it was completely my fault. I contacted Webervst to see if they could repair it. They sent me an RMA number, I sent it in, they repaired it and sent it back. When I asked how much it would I owed them, they said "it's on the house".

10. Tikirocker

Tikirocker Member

Reply sent to your PM's ... sorry.