Weber Bias Rite

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by iggs, Oct 5, 2006.

1. iggs

iggs Member

Hey all,

I'd like to be able to check the bias myself and as much as I'd like to think that I'm pretty good with electronics, I don't feel right poking around an amp with dmm probes.

I was looking into getting the Bias Rite ... any opinions, info or reviews? Any other (better) tools? Both of my amps are fixed bias, push-pull, class A/B dual output tube based, with KT66 and EL34 respectively.

Thanks!

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Bias Rite is as good as any of the similar bias probes out there. I use one.

3. iggs

iggs Member

That's good enough endorsment for me! :AOK

Thanks Mike.

4. SteveStrat

SteveStrat Member

Hey Mike, speaking of amp biasing. I have an old Heath kit Oscilloscope that I inherited from my late uncle. I’ve always wondered about using it to bias my amps.
    Is this something that’s fairly easy to do once you figure out the oscilloscope?
    How much do you gain by using an oscilloscope versus a bias probe?

Anybody know where I can find manuals for Heath kit gear?

Steve

5. GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr Supporting Member

I have one that works great. It's very simple and straightforward.

I would recommend getting the Plate Voltage option, because you can't really set accurate bias without checking the Plate Voltage anyway... might as well be able to do it with a simple switch on a single meter.

6. KeithC

KeithC Silver Supporting Member

+1 on the Bias Rite and +1 for the plate voltage option :AOK

7. JWR

JWR Member

I use one with the plate voltage option. I also use the Bias calculator on the Weber site as a guide.

8. mmorse

mmorse Member

+1 on that.That's exactly how I bias my amps. :dude

9. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

I'll bet that most Heath manuals are available. Have you tried Google? I'll bet they're out there.

There are lots of opinions on biasing. Mine is that using a scope is a waste of time. They certainly have other useful applications for amp tweakers, though.

10. SteveStrat

SteveStrat Member

Thanks for the info Mike. I haven't done any looking online yet, I should though.

Steve

11. Jube2550

Jube2550 Member

I've been waiting over 4 weeks for mine and the website was not clear to me about why the plate voltage is an option or how to order but I requested it. They are out of octal pin bases.

12. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

4 weeks? Yikes! I guess that's the price of success.

13. Jube2550

Jube2550 Member

Yeah, I'm really suprised. All of my recent pedal purchases have come timely and I never thought a bias probe would take this long. It's been a week since I've heard anything and the last email said they had the octal bases on what sounded like a backorder They didn't bill me though so that was good.

14. Buckeyedog

Buckeyedog Supporting Member

I've been waiting about 3 weeks and Ted e-mailed and said it would be shipped late last week. Don't know if I'm supposed to get a "shipping notice" or not, but I haven't yet. I'm anxious to get it though!!

15. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Time Warped Gold Supporting Member

Stevestrat, I get my heathkit manuals here http://www.w7fg.com/ maybe they will have what you are looking for :) in fact I just bought one for a Ta-16 heathkit amp.

16. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Time Warped Gold Supporting Member

I dunno whats happening with ted's shipping? I was supposed to get some parts. never got them... ?? called, emailed.. same story, advised they would be shipping. never had a problem with Teds shop before, service was always good over the years.

17. mmorse

mmorse Member

Took a long time to get my biasrite also. Longer than it should have.

18. KeithC

KeithC Silver Supporting Member

I've got a couple speakers that shouldn't be taking as long either.
    They must be really backed up. I have always had fairly prompt service in the past too.
    A little disappointing for sure.

19. iggs

iggs Member

Still waiting on my Bias Rite ... :(

They were expecting a shipment of parts for the BR and apparently it was supposed to arrive by the end of last week. As soon as they get the parts they will start building and shipping them. This is week 4 for me ... I'm not too worried but I am anxious to get it since I got some tubes just begging to go into my Bümbox Lead50 and some KT66 for my Route 66.

20. Buckeyedog

Buckeyedog Supporting Member

Starting on week 4 for me too. I don't really mind waiting, but I just wish they would let us know if things are going to be delayed from the start. Instead, we are the one's that have to e-mail or call and ask what the status is. I was never told about the unavailability of the parts. Hopefully it gets here soon.