Weber Blue and Silver Combo: Alnico or Ceramic?s

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by traynor_garnet, Feb 20, 2012.

1. traynor_garnet

traynor_garnet Member

I've read about the "Blue/Silver" combo and have two questions:

1.) Is this still a "hot" combo and receiving high praise?

2.) Are people combining the ceramic or alnico versions of these speakers?
    A mix or both (in which case, which one is alnico, which is ceramic)?

I am looking for something that combines the nice "fizzless" dirt of a British speaker while retaining some of the high end clarity and "sheen" of an American speaker.

TG

2. Onioner

Onioner Member

Tried the ceramics. Pulled 'em for alnicos. Just a bit to harsh for me. The SB shipped today, so I should have them up and running by the weekend. Fingers crossed.

Oh, and definitely still popular. Also, wattage and doping should make a significant difference. I opted for 15w each and no dope.

3. traynor_garnet

traynor_garnet Member

I am looking at 12" either 50 or 30 watts 16 ohms each.

TG

4. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

Definitely 50W if alnico and 30W if ceramic. Then I believe from 50W or more Weber alnicos come with a neo boost and won't sag quite as much. Could request a boost regardless of Wattage, though.

5. traynor_garnet

traynor_garnet Member

6. cratz2

cratz2 Member

I had a 50W ceramic Blue with pre-Rola in an AC15C1 for a while, and have a 2x12 cab with a G12H30 and another 50W ceramic Blue with pre-Rola.

I also have a 100W Alnico Silver Bell with pre-Rola that I've had in a couple different amps. It lived in my 5E3 clone for a couple years. I know it doesn't sound like much of a match, but it really worked for me. It's currently in Vox AD60VTX.

I've never tried them together as they are different impedances.

What exactly is a 'neo boost'?

7. ugameus

ugameus Member

I have one of each. Each one is 15 watts and ceramic. Very clear sounding pair with great low end for 15 watt speakers. I got mine made with large dustcaps due to personal preference. They work great for me.

The "neo boost" is the use of neodymium in addition to the alnico to achieve higher wattage ratings without having a magnet the size of a truck tire.

8. DigitalHater

DigitalHater Member

If you want a mix of British and American speaker sound, why not do that? It looks like you're mixing 2 flavors of British. BTW, I am a big fan of mixing speakers in cabs, I have a super reverb that has an alnico P10RT and blue pup on top, with a celestion vintage 10 and C10N on the bottom (all Weber except the vin 10). Listening with your ears it all just mixes nicely, but the real magic is recording, the same amp can sound 4 pretty different ways depending on which speaker I stick the mic on (even more if I let the mic get some distance). You really can't go too wrong with most Weber speakers in my experience, but I REALLY like those 12" blue dogs in alnico, if you were doing some mixing and matching, I'd wanna push you towards having an alnico blue.

9. DGDGBD

DGDGBD Member

I have the ceramics 30 watt versions in a 2x12. Tried Alinico (30 watts) but they sounded too squishy for my tastes, so I prefer the ceramics. This was with a marshall 4-hole type amp circuit.

10. traynor_garnet

traynor_garnet Member

How are the cleans? Can you get some nice shimmer on the top?

TG

11. DGDGBD

DGDGBD Member

Not sure about shimmer, but I can get good a pretty good clean tone with the ceramics. But I would have to say the alnicos were better for cleans.

12. Rick360

Rick360 Member

Howdy,

Weber's 30 watt AlniCo silver bell is great with my Carmen Ghia. I'm considering a 2x12 Dr.Z combo cab with a Silver Bell and a Celestion blue; they should compliment each other nicely.

13. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I had used two alnicos. I pulled both in favor of a Celestion Gold and Anniversary. I usually hate both these speakers but for some reason together they just wail.