Weber Blues Ceramic Or Alnico?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by NOVA70, Aug 16, 2003.

1. NOVA70

NOVA70 Supporting Member

Hi,
    I need some input regarding speakers. I just purchased a Weber Blue Dog Ceramic for my Bruno UG30 installed in a 1x12 cabinet. I replaced a Celestion V30 with it and I like the Weber much better. Very articulate and musical. Now I'm wondering if I should have purchased a Weber Blue Dog Alnico instead. Any input comparing the two speakers. Are the Alnico's much better?
    Thanks,
    Pat

2. rlinkt

rlinkt Member

I am not familiar with the Weber speakers, but don't think ceramic vs. alnico as better or worse. They have different characteristics in terms of responsiveness and compression. My impression is alnico tend to compress more smoothly at higher volumes. The ceramic speakers may be more responsive at lower volumes. Generally ceramic speakers handle more power.

3. dehughes

dehughes Member

Yes, what Rlinkt said. I've owned many Webers, both ceramic and alnico, and in my mind there is no objective "better or worse", only subjective, in that one speaker will match an amp in a way that sounds better to your ear than another speaker would. If you are happy with the ceramics, try an alnico, but hang on to the ceramics just in case it wasn't what you had hoped for. Weber speakers are great, though.

david

4. NOVA70

NOVA70 Supporting Member

THANKS, THAT'S JUST WHAT I DID. BOTH SPEAKERS HAVE THEIR STONG POINTS. I AM VERY IMPRESSED WITH WEBER SPEAKERS AND THEIR SERVICE.
    PAT

5. davidp158

davidp158 Member

I just picked up a used UG30 and a VHT 2X12 closed back cabinet. The speakers in the VHT cabinet are labeled "Pit Bull" or something like that. I haven't seen the speaker, but I presume they use a ceramic magnet. They actually sound pretty good, but as Celestion Blues are supposed to compliment this amp, I'm thinking about upgrading the speaker. I'd like to try the Weber speakers, as they cost a bit less than the Celestions, and I've had good luck with Weber speakers in the past.

My UG30 is pretty loud, and doesn't break up until the volume knob is around 2:00. I'd like to get a speaker that won't make the amp louder than it already is, and I'd like to get it to break up a little bit sooner.

Which of the Weber alnico or ceramic speakers would work better in a closed back design? I've read a few comments that some people don't like Celestion Blues in a closed back design. I may also make a new back board for the cabinet, so it will be partially open.

thanks for any info you can offer,

Dave

6. dehughes

dehughes Member

I'd type up a reply, but I think your best bet is to talk to the man himself. Give Ted over at Weber VST an e-mail; he really knows his speakers better than any of us...

david