Weber Cali 15" or...?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JDW3, Feb 27, 2009.

1. JDW3

JDW3 Member

I replaced the 15 in my Traynor Bassmate with a Weber Cali 15. Same ohm load. The Cali sounds sweet at low volumes, but mushes out when pushed. I was under the impression the Cali was a heavier spk.

I tried the amp through a different cab with Greenbacks and it was tight all the way up.

Whats a 15" type that will hold up to high volumes? Nobody really uses them.

2. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

The Emi Big Ben is top of the line for me on the 15" side. It's louder than the Cali (which BTW is another longtime favorite, love it right now in a Vicky 35115), gets a throaty kind of drive when really loud. Excellent tone from the Big Ben.

3. JDW3

JDW3 Member

How does the Big Ben compare to the Cali tonally?

4. mad dog

JD:

The Big Ben has more definition. Not by much, just a bit, but it's noticeable. The BB is louder. Both have excellent bass definition. The BB holds together longer when pushed. The Cali has this rep as a JBL type, ultra clean and loud. Never struck me that way. It's warm, just right warm, with a soft edge as it overdrives. Vintage sounding somehow, but not exactly like anything made back then. The Big Ben gets tagged as a "british" sounding speaker, whatever that means. To me, it doesn't mean much. No soft edge. Not harsh, not like that, but tighter. When the Cali was in my Sewell Wampus Cat, the amp would kinda moan and howl high up ... too cool for words really. Now with the Big Ben, it sings a little clearer high up, with a ragged edge and dense compression when it's breaking up. Both are excellent speakers, as is the Legend 151, which sounds in some ways the same as the Big Ben.

5. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

Another superb sounding combination is a Vicky 35115T Tweed Pro with a Weber 15A150 (P-15N). Tight bottom, great mids, and very sweet top end. Just the right power level. Not sure how it would sound in the Traynor though?

Tom

6. sabby

sabby Member

EVM-15L: Heavy as Hell. Sounds like Heaven.

7. BPSUL

BPSUL Member

There is an Emi Legend 15 model made. I've never heard it but the
    Legend 12s are great speakers and used in tons of boutique quality cabs. you can get one new for about 100 bucks.

8. kwaves99

kwaves99 Member

You can find JBL D130's (alnico) and E130's (ceramic) on fleabay. why not get the best????

9. mad dog

The best is a matter of taste. Not knocking JBL, but -- especially for tweed stuff -- my taste lies elsewhere.