Weber California in a Boogie?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tommyg, Feb 23, 2006.

1. tommyg

tommyg Member

Has anyone tried a Weber California (ceramic) in a Boogie? I have a Boogie MkIII combo w/ a C-Rex speaker and looking to go more for that JBL-crystal clear sound, bite and authority. If so - I'd love to hear your thoughts of it.

Thanks!

2. boonhogganbeck

boonhogganbeck Member

Bump - I'd like to know also. I'm experimenting with speakers in my F50. Looking for something a little less agressive than the C90 (which isn't bad, just looking for something different). I've been thinking about a G12-65. I've also got an Eminence Legend 125 I'm going to try, I thought it sounded good in my HRD.

3. tedjac

tedjac Guest

There are JBL E120s on sale on eBay all the time. If you want that JBL sound, why not buy the real thing? You may have to be picky and look for a really good one, but I have seen a few in really mint condition.

There is also a speaker called a Beyma Liberty that is claimed to be a direct knock off of the E120 JBL speaker... but it cost $260!

I haven't heard anything really bad OR really good about the Weber... but is evidently isn't a top-notch JBL substitute... or people would be raving about it.

Anyway... good luck with your search...
    Ted

4. Reeek

Reeek Member

I like them. I own a 2x12 with ceramic Calis and a 15" Cali in one of my Sanos. Are they JBL equivalant? I don't know. I play a 1969 Twin with perfectly working stock D120-F's all the time (It's mine :D ) and right next to it is the 2x12 with the Cali's with aluminum dust cover. They sound great but unfortunately, the cab is a 8 Ohm and I don't have a Weber's device to match impedance. I will say though, that if or when I am forced to replace the JBL's, I'll probably try the Cali 12 in it on the first round.

The Calis are fantastic sounding speakers regardless. And Ted I believestates that the ceramic is the choice to replace the JBL, not the alnico.

As for eBay JBLs, keep in mind that recone kits are hard to come by for them anymore, I believe.

5. tommyg

tommyg Member

Good question Ted...

Problem is - I heard teh Weber Cali's had a warmer and sweeter sound than the real JBL. I read on TGP that many have compared the Weber Cali to JBL's in terms of their chime and bass response but I don't want something "sterile" ; but a speaker with warmth. The Weber's appear to have that - and the JBL's seem to lack that.

That's what I've read - but I of course may be wrong....

Please feel free to comment. Thanks!

6. tommyg

tommyg Member

Thanks Reeek....

Do you find the Cali's to be warm and have a great bass response? I'll be playing guitars with humbucking pups through them (a Heritage 150 and a Heritage 535). I'm looking for a nice blend of that Bloomfield/Ford sound (crisp but smooooooth). I have a C-Rex in there now and I love it on the overdrive but it sounds a bit flimsy on the clean side (no Oomph!) and the bass notes sound a little flimsy/tubby.

Thanks again for your feedback!

7. tedjac

tedjac Guest

I actually have heard the same thing... about the warmer sound... but that is not REALLY where the JBLs excelled. The JBLs are very clean, articulate and kind of bright. I don't think I'd ever call them "warm." Although, I guess if you EQ'd the living daylights out of them... =-)

The thing I always liked about both JBLs and EVs is that they tend NOT to color the tone too much AND they don't break up easily. I've always preferred to get the amp sound, not the speaker sound... if you know what I mean. Then... if I wanted a bright speaker... I'd opt for the JBL E120... if I wanted a bit more fullness, I'd opt for the EV EVM12L... but that's just me.

I have a new Fuchs combo amp coming next week with Eminence Patriot Red, White and Blues... so we'll see how they stack up against the JBLs and EVs. They may end up being one to put on your list to look at.

Ted

8. tommyg

tommyg Member

Thanks Ted...

BTW - I had the Red, White, & Blues in my Boogie and loved it! Problem was the bass handling of my amp was too much for the speaker. Damn I loved that speaker though! If it had a larger voice coil It would be in my Boogie right now!

9. tedjac

tedjac Guest

What do you mean by too much for the speaker? Was it farting... bottoming out, breaking up??? This concerns me a little with my new amp coming. Maybe the fact that my Fuchs is only 30W and is a 2X12 combo will eliminate that bass problem... what do you thnk?

Ted

10. tommyg

tommyg Member

The bass notes were farting out. No breakup since it's 150 watts. My Strat was fine with the speaker but my main 2 axes are humbucking guitars (Heritage 150 and 535). I spoke with Eminence about this at great length and it was determined it waws an "amp/speaker mis-match" since I use humbucking pickups and given Boogies sensitivity on bass response the voice coil was not large enough. He recommended I move closer to a 2-inch voice coil instead of the 1 3/4 in the RWB. Now, I am using a C-Rex which has a 1 - 1/2 inch voice coil but its bass response is labeled as "Aggressive". It can handle the bass - does a great job actually - because the hemp cone is 3x stronger/thicker than regular paper (this helps to make up the difference). I had both an EV (4-inch voice coil) and a Celestion G12-H100 (UK not Chinese w/a 2-inch voice coil) with no probs. No don't fret over the Fuchs/RWB connection: I'm sure Andy wouldn't load it with RWB's if his amps couldn't handle it.

11. ES350

ES350 Member

I have a Weber Cali 15" with a paper dome that sounds a lot more musical to me than the '59 D130F that came in my old Pro.

12. Reeek

Reeek Member

Yes, the Californias I have in the Avatar 2x12 are fat and arm with a crispness at the same time. I have the aluminum dome and the cab is front loaded to be detailed.

I have to say however, that the JBL's in my Twin are fat too, Not bright at all but they are 27 years old.

I like the Calis a lot personally. The 15 inc I have in my Sano 16 watt EL84 amp is awesome. It too is ceramic and has the aluminum dome

13. tedjac

tedjac Guest

Well, if they are 27 years old then what are they D120F's? They were warmer... but the E120s and even the K120s have always seemed pretty crisp to me. I guess it also depends on the amp and the guitar...

14. Reeek

Reeek Member

They are the original D120-Fs and the age reference had to do with total break in as possibly being part of the warmth.