Weber California's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by johnzias, Feb 10, 2008.

1. johnzias

johnzias Member

Does anybody have any thoughts on these speakers? I replaced an old problematic JBL in my Twin with one a couple of years ago, and loved it.

I recently got a pair of alnico's and a pair of ceramics for my Hard Truckers cabs and I'm not very impressed, especially with the low end response. I got a pair of old JBL D120's back from a friend, and installed them in one of the HT cabs. It was like comparing a Porsche to a Honda. Very different from the California in my Twin. I played them through my Two Rock Classic Reverb, and my CT45 and got the same disappointing results, while the JBL's killed me with tone!.

2. Roe

Roe Member

I'm happy with my 10" alnico california. ted weber says that the calis are not 100% jbl clones. some say that the new neo speakers sound closer to an old alnico jbl, but i haven't tried weber's neo speakers

3. johnzias

johnzias Member

4. NOVA70

NOVA70 Supporting Member

Are they new speakers? If not break them in first and then see if you like them. There are several different methods of doing this.
    Regards,
    Pat

5. johnzias

johnzias Member

I don't think it's a matter of breaking them in. They just sound weak. That was not my experience with the one I got 2 years ago for my Twin. I think I'll look into the neo's.

6. Fritz_D_Cat

Fritz_D_Cat Member

I got one a few years back, and I just keep on loving it.

7. jscorno

jscorno Member

I replaced the stock speaker in my HRD a couple of years ago with a California and it was a major improvement.

8. DGG

DGG Member

Cali AlNiCo's are very good spkrs.