Weber Cerwin Vega 123 clones?

smolder

Platinum Supporting Member
I'm about to order one. Been trying to determine if the ER123 was alnico or ceramic. They look like ceramic, but I can't find a definitive spec.

Last edited:

smolder

I read ceramic for Duane Allman.
Here's a clip of Allman Brothers in '71. Duane has CV's now.
But I read he mixed them with Celestions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enzUlvT6vRw

I want to know the CV clone sensitivity rating too.
I've read speculation as in "I heard" or "I think" for both... but not a "for sure" and no validation or proof unfortunately.

The general consensus seems to be ER123 and G12H 55 hz in pairs. I'm looking to put a 2x12 cab in play, and am going to try a WGS reaper 55 first (because they are inexpensive and I found one used in the emporium the other day)

SlyStrat

Silver Supporting Member
What are those two Weber's? A CV and?
Nice playing and tone.

I like Cream live and Kossoff tone too.
Think that combination will get there?

Last edited:

SlyStrat

Silver Supporting Member
Heritage?
What exactly are the specs on that one, please.
I can't figure out which Weber it is.

smolder

Heritage?
What exactly are the specs on that one, please.
I can't figure out which Weber it is.

Sorry, my bad, it's the Legacy Series, not Heritage (that is the celestion term for that type of G12H).

moggio

Silver Supporting Member
I am running a pair of the Weber CV123s in a StoneAge 2x12C open back cab. I use both a DSL 50, and a Germino Lead 55lv with this cab. Sounds awesome.

Mattbedrock

Gold Supporting Member
What are those two Weber's? A CV and?
Nice playing and tone.

I like Cream live and Kossoff tone too.
Think that combination will get there?
That's a CV123 and a Legacy series with a 55hz cone.

It covers Cream and Kossoff tones as well, though I usually go to my JTM45 for Cream tones, the 1986x Plexi 50 watt bass is more Allman/Kossoff.

smolder

So... calling all Duane nerds... anyone owned an ER123 and a CR123? Care to contrast and compare?

BluesForDan

Silver Supporting Member
The CV123 is a clone of the Cerwin Vega ER123 (on the right above)
Ah, thanks. It has been a long time since I looked at Weber's website, at least since Ted passed away. Since I'm not much in the market for speakers at the moment, I haven't been doing much looking. But I have been wanting to try a ER123 for a long time and wondered why there wasn't one from Weber yet. Now I know.

skydog58

So... calling all Duane nerds... anyone owned an ER123 and a CR123? Care to contrast and compare?
I have seven original ER123 speakers, all but two are 8 ohm. I needed another 16 ohm for a two-speaker 8 ohm cabinet, so just purchased a CV123. It arrived on Friday. I have been playing some recorded content through the cabinet, to break it in. I'll try to post results of a comparison later today. I am using a 50 watt plexi, with correct Model 1986 components. Also a Dr Z Remedy. Unfortunately, and to be fair, two days of break-in are dissimilar to 45 years of use. Also, and I could be wrong, but I don't believe that the specs are identical. I'll try to suss that out as well.

tazzboy

I know that JD Simo mention in his PG Rig Rundown that he uses them along with Celestion Greenback speakers I believe.

skydog58

Ok, as I said, a few days of break-in are dissimilar to 45 years of use. And I still haven't sussed out the specs (Even Cerwin Vega doesn't have the information. I called, to ask. I don't feel like taking one of my original eight-ohm ER123 speakers apart, to look inside.)

My assessment is very positive. I used a 48yo Les Paul through both (separately) an old Model 1986 Marshall Plexi or a Dr. Z Remedy, and a Z-Best 2x12 cab. I paired his stock Celestion G12H with the Weber CV123. The combination is a beautiful. For kicks and because I have one, I inserted a Fryette Power Station between the amp(s) and the cabinet, to attenuate the sound. Again, beautiful - but with less dB. I'm not saying, that the CV123 is the holy grail. I can say, that this particular combination sounds Fillmore East great. By the way, I broke the speaker in for approximately 72 hours, using bass-accentuated content. Don't ask me, if it made a difference.