weber help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sabbath90, May 3, 2005.

1. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

i've decided to get a weber alnico silver bell and alnico blue dog to put in a 2x12. i'll be running a budda super drive 18, and a little later a vox ac-30CC through it. what wattage of speakers should i go with, and how much doping should i get? thanks.

2. cold_fusion

cold_fusion Suspended

30 watt w/ light doping would be my suggestion...I have that combo of wattage and doping w/ my Weber 12F150+12F150B ceramics in a 212 cab with my 40 watt '71 vintage fender and it sounds awesome!!!! I think that would be a good choice with the alnico's too...

3. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

if i went with 2 15 watt speakers, would the AC-30 head blow them? i know some ac-30 combos come with celestion blues, but i also know that a 30 watt amp into 30 watts of speakers isn't the best thing.

4. e-flat

e-flat Supporting Member

I love my 30 watt Alnico Blue Dog, but I love my 15 watter just a little bit more. The 15 watters are brighter, with a little more aggressive midrange and a little less low end. I also use a 15 watt Silver Bell Alnico...Similar to the 15 watt Blue Dog but with a little more aggressive mids. (15 watt SB Alnico = my all time fave : ) I have never tried the 30 watt Silver Bell Alnico, but I had a ceramic one. Overall, they're just great speakers.
    Here's aother idea: I run a 30 watt Blue Dog and 15 watt Blue Dog in the same 2X12 cab with a 30 watt 4XEL84 Winfield Thomas head and they sound really good together. Their different breakup characteristics and efficiencies mean that the 15 watt dominates a bit, but the 30 watter stays warm and clean as the 15 starts to give it up. I think it sounds really cool for overdriven tones, and the cleans are very 3D.
    I have an AC30CC on the way, and the first combo I'm going to try (after checking out the Wharfdales) is to swap in my 15 watt SB and BD.
    Keep in mind, those 15 watters are SIGNIFICANTLY louder than the 30 watters. In the same 1X12 combo, swapping from the 30 watt BD to a 15 watt gave me quite a bit more volume in a loud band context. The effect in a 2X12 would probably be more noticeable.
    Oh, and none of my Webers are doped. Never been a prob for me. Some folks go with light doping just to play it safe.
    Good luck!

5. e-flat

e-flat Supporting Member

Sabbath:
    Just saw your post about the 15 watters and power rating. I have continually abused both my Blue Dog and Silver Bell 15 watters with 22++ watts in a 1X12 combo and other applications and they have never even complained.
    Ted Weber told me that his 15 watt rating is conservative...They sound great when you pound them IMO. If I blow one eventually, I'll send it back to Ted for some loving/counseling/TLC. But so far, no problem.
    Speaking of Sabbath, I wonder if Iommi ever rocked the alnico connection? Some of those modded Rangemaster tones on their early recording sound to ME like they might have benefitted from a little Alnico fairy dust/ natural compression.
    BTW, what kinda music do you play? Heavy stuff?

6. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

rad. i think i'm gonna get a 15 watt alnico blue dog and a 15 watt alnico silver bell with light doping on both.

man, i'd love to hear iommi using alnico speakers.

i play all kinds of stuff really. i'm in a band right now that is influenced by U2, smashing pumpkins, ink and dagger, sabbath, zeppelin, the cure, jane's addiction...all kinds of good rock n roll. i'm getting the ac-30 to provide my clean. my distortion is my jcm800 2203 with kt-88's. it's my baby. it was my first 'real' amp.

7. cold_fusion

cold_fusion Suspended

If you want earlier speaker break-up/distortion then get the little 15 watter however if you need extra headroom then the 30 watter would be better...if you want or need good cleans...that are associated with 3D-ness...then I'd get a little stiffer speaker...ie the 30 watter...you can always dirty up a cleans signal with extra vol and/or pedals...but not the other way around.....

8. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

hmm...now i'm totally confused. some of my favorite clean vox sounds are on ok computer by radiohead, and i'm pretty sure they use celestion blues. i don't want to fight, i'm just really intrigued over which wattage of speakers i should go for.

9. e-flat

e-flat Supporting Member

More of my $.02:
    If you are looking for the clean tones found on OK Computer, those are definitely Celestion RI 15 watt Blues, and the 15 watt Blue Dog, 15 watt Silver Bell (or one of each) will get you in that range. I love that record, and the chimey tones on there are to be found in the Weber 15 watters, no doubt. (The VOX sure won't hurt. That record is a benchmark for cleans for me, as well. )
    Now, that being said, what Cold-Fusion said is true...The 30 watters will give you a bit more clean headroom. BUT, I disagree (respectfully) that the 30 watters are more 3D than the 15s. I find the 30 watters to be great, but the 15 watters just have more swirl. Sometimes, when the stars are aligned just right and the voodoo juju is flowing, I actually feel like I am sitting INSIDe of the speaker when I play my 15 watt Silver Bell clean. Thats "3d"!!!:dude
    Honestly, you will really like whatever wattage you get. I just prefer the 15 watters for a) gorgeous cleans that are very present and b) the way they break up relatively early but very gradually and c) their efficiency.
    I still hold to my recommendation. Don't be nervous or confused, my brother. You are making a great decision with whatever wattage you choose. : )
    PS- Ask Ted if he'll break them in a bit for you before he ships. 8-10 hours of break in helps loosen things up.

10. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

after talking with ted via email, i've decided to go with both 15 watters with light dope. i can't wait til my ac-30 and my speakers get here! man i'm psyched!

11. cold_fusion

cold_fusion Suspended

If you are going to use a pair of them with a 30watt amp or less then you're prolly okay...ala the new Vox AC30CC....which I'm very excited about....I'm a tried and true clean freak though so I don't want the speakers muddying up my amp tone very much with anything but the slightest hint of breakup...... so I tend to go with a little extra headroom on my speakers..for safety's sake...it really all boils down to what vol you're playing at/amp wattage...and how clean you need your speakers to be at that higher volume level.....also if Ted said to get the 15s for your scenario...then you best do what the man says cause he knows his stuff!!!!

sounds like you're getting a voc ac30cc head and putting your own cab together though...that how I'd do it too!!!!!

best of luck w/ your new baby... let us know how she sounds!!!

12. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

thanks for all of the help.

cold fusion- yeah, i'm putting them in an old empty avatar cab that i picked up off of a friend of mine for next to nothing. i will definately be letting everyone know how it sounds. hopefully some sound clips too.:D

rock on everyone:dude

13. BOUNTYHUNTER5

BOUNTYHUNTER5 Member

I agree with that guy..I also have the Weber twelve he has its the best, I have others two.No doping works for me..I play Southern Rock.Also highly reccomend the beam blocker.Bountyhunterfive.com

14. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Have you been able to try the SD-18 with those speakers before you bought them? just curious.....

15. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

My rule of thumb (and as always rules are to be broken) for dope is this:

50% (wattage fed) - light dope
    75% - medium dope
    100% - heavy dope

Clean sounds is different though.