Weber Michigan in Fuchs

matchless1069

I have a Fuchs non SLX combo a few of you may have seen in the emporium for sale a couple of times. The reason I was selling was because it had this high mid thing going on that I could not EQ out for the life of me. After dropping the price as low as I could go and still having no takers I decided to keep it and try a different speaker in the combo. I found a Weber Michigan for sale in the emporium and swapped out the EV that came stock from Fuchs. BINGO! The Weber Michigan made a huge difference in the amp. The EQ section responds so much better with that speaker. In addition the Weber shed a couple pounds off the weight of the combo. I'm usually the person who does not like to modify an instrument from how it was shipped from the factory but I'm glad I made the speaker change in this combo. I would recommend the Weber Michigan to anyone looking for a 8ohm 100W speaker.

pula58

Gold Supporting Member
Hey Matchless,
The Michigan, was it ceramic or alnico?

Is it noticeably more efficient (louder at a given amp volume setting) than the speaker that was originally in your amp?

I was thinking of getting one for my Princeton Reverb inorder to make it louder.

Thanks

phyrexia

The Michigan I had was much much less efficient than an EV, which is why I sold it. It was ceramic.

Fuchsaudio

We originally considered the Michigan as the stock speaker in the ODS (tm). The first sample we received was excellent, but six subsequent sample speakers varied so much, you might think they were different speakers. Efficiency all over the map, tones were not consistent, and a number of them had cone cry.

Now I'll qualify this by saying this was about 8 years ago (and I have not played any Weber speakers in quite some time), but that particular experience was less than positive as far as the Michigan goes.

pula58

Gold Supporting Member
hm...thanks for the Michigan info!
What do you guys think would be a very very efficient speaker without having it weigh as much as an EV? The goal is to make my Princeton Reverb (with 12" baffle) louder at a given volume setting with a non-british sounding speaker.

hardys

I've got a Michigan, ceramic, paper dome for sale for $65.00 shipped. It sounded great with my Fuchs, but I preferred the G12-65 just a hair better. There are still some things that I prefer better with the Weber, that the G12-65s don't do.

matchless1069

It's a ceramic. I wouldn't say it's louder than the stock speaker but it is a lot smoother and has much better eq response which makes me want to crank it louder.
Hey Matchless,
The Michigan, was it ceramic or alnico?

Is it noticeably more efficient (louder at a given amp volume setting) than the speaker that was originally in your amp?

I was thinking of getting one for my Princeton Reverb inorder to make it louder.

Thanks

matchless1069

I think I got one of the good Webers Andy :).
We originally considered the Michigan as the stock speaker in the ODS (tm). The first sample we received was excellent, but six subsequent sample speakers varied so much, you might think they were different speakers. Efficiency all over the map, tones were not consistent, and a number of them had cone cry.

Now I'll qualify this by saying this was about 8 years ago (and I have not played any Weber speakers in quite some time), but that particular experience was less than positive as far as the Michigan goes.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom