Weber Mini Mass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Robert1950, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

This is the thing about being an amp newbie. I've been fretting (no pun intended) about finding a very low watt amp for use at home. Someone mentioned a a MiniMass. Of course I was totally clued out until I was told what it was. I've just checked it on the Weber site. This is what I will need. I assume at 25 watt version is good for 15, 18, or 22 watt amps, once I make a choice. Thanks

2. bob-i

bob-i Member

Yes a 25 watt version will do you up to a 25 watt amp.

The cool thing about the Mass as opposed to other attenuators is that it uses an actual speaker motor with no cone, so the sound is natural.

3. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

IMO there are better choices. At max attenuation, the Weber just sucked all the life out of my tone. It was good for light db reduction, and for providing a line out.

i much prefer the Z or THD units.

4. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

I think it really is a very amp-sensitive choice. The Weber approach works great with some amps and not great with others. The THD approach works great with some amps and not so great with others...same goes for every other attenuator I've tried. Unfortunately, there's no one-size fits all solution, IMO. I really like the MASS and I really like the Hotplate...but with different amps for the most part. Wish I could tell you how to predict in advance which sounds best with what...but I've given up on trying to predict it; you just gotta try it. Remember...

"Buy used and play for free." -- Dr. Rico.

5. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

which is your favorite for your ftr37? i just picked up a used Weber Mass, please don't tell me i should have gone with the hotplate :( .

6. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I've used a minimass and a hot plate. I much prefer the minimass. Any attenuator will alter the sound of your amp the more you attenuate. This is due to changes in the speaker response and to the way your ears hear as the level is reduced as much as anything. However, to me, the minimass had less of an effect on tone than the hot plate. I found the hot plate produced a buzzier sound, where the minimass just rolled off a little treble. Under lighter levels of attenuation, either is good.

7. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

ch - the FTR37 sounds almost as good with the Hotplate as with the MASS...but not quite... :)

8. themusicboxstudios

so if i read that right ... i made the right decision?!

9. Scott_F

Scott_F Gold Supporting Member

I had an early version of the mini mass. That sucker got HOT! I'm assuming that is why THD calls their the "hot plate". ;)

10. themusicboxstudios

i hope is won't do anything to the tolex on my amp if it really gets that hot :(. i got the full size mass.

11. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I ran a Mesa F-50 into the minimass under pretty heavy attenuation for an hour. If it heated up at all it wasn't much.

12. red firebird

red firebird Guest

There is 2 products on Weber's site, Mass and Load Dump that doesn't have the speaker motor. Any comparison done? Gonna use it for Epiphone Valve Jr, Laney LC15 and my dear Fender Music Master Bass, all sounding nice when cranked up but not possible all the time...